CaLLiNG all FIGURE COMPETITORS!

Options
Hey, ladies. Im doing my first figure show this May and really lost on when to start dieting. I was told I should lose about 10lbs ( I dont think I will need to lose that much but who am I to know) by May 4th. Im currently between 132 and 135lbs and around 17% BF. Im 5'4".

Any information ANYONE could give me would be super helpful as I have never done this before and Im looking to WIN ;) Im currently eating around 1700 calories a day while trying to get rid of my Holiday Cookie Spree I went on. I used to wear a bodybugg and my lowest TDEE ever was around 1900 and the highest (gym days, cleaning, yard work, etc) would reach 3000 or close to it.

PLEASE if anyone has some helpful advice, shoot it my way. Thank you in advance- Holly JZ

P.S. My workout cycle is 2 days on and then one day off ( about 90 minute workouts) At this time Im only lifting heavy trying to gain that last bit of muscle so no cardio...right now ;)

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert, but 17% is good enough for me
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but where in the heck are YOU supposed to lose ten pounds from?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

It is a great number but for a figure comp it's a little different.

Do you have a trainer or anything to help you with this and prep for the show? Or anyone around you thats done one before? Having done a show in the past there is more to it than most girls are aware of such as poses etc. Posing and presence is not easy and something you don't pick up over night.

Most figure competitors do anywhere from 8-12 weeks out depending on where you are body comp wise currently. It's also not about losing pounds but cutting body fat and getting the ideal cuts for your weight/height class.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i know...the 10lbs seems to be a stretch for me. I think I will look very depleted and flat. This is just what I was told by one of the head honchos.
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options

It is a great number but for a figure comp it's a little different.

Do you have a trainer or anything to help you with this and prep for the show? Having done a show in the past there is more to it than most girls are aware. Such as poses etc.

Most figure competitors do anywhere from 8-12 weeks out depending on where you are body comp wise currently. It's also not about losing pounds but cutting body fat and getting the ideal cuts for your weight/height class.

exactly. Im training with a male competitor and do have someone helping me with poses too. As far as nutrition and that goes I have nothing.

The show is about 13 weeks away so I would assume I should start dieting further. I feel so lost.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can you reasonably hire a coach? You look to be starting off in a great place, and you're still like 13 or 14 weeks out? I think you can definitely get there but it might be good to have a professional help you through your first time.

I am in the same process but starting at a higher BF percentage. :( My own damn fault. I hired a coach and am already 2 weeks into a 12 week program and not really seeing any forward progress, which is incredibly frustrating. I wish I had started sooner so that we had a bit more buffer time to make adjustments. I need to lose about 15 pounds in the next 10 weeks... so... wish me luck! haha
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Your arms and shoulders look great! I know nothing and have no advice, but good luck to you!
  • JossFit
    Options
    i know...the 10lbs seems to be a stretch for me. I think I will look very depleted and flat. This is just what I was told by one of the head honchos.

Well don't forget that even in figure/bikini there is a certain amount of sodium/water manipulation so a few pounds would just be pulling water out the last day or two before the show.

A good coach can instruct you through the whole process of depleting and then carbing up for the stage so that you don't look flat, but without you 'spilling over' and bloating up, effectively ruining your conditioned look.
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options

Well don't forget that even in figure/bikini there is a certain amount of sodium/water manipulation so a few pounds would just be pulling water out the last day or two before the show.

good point! thank you. I wouldnt even know where to find a coach around here. I just dont want to get on stage and make an *kitten* out of myself. GOOD LUCK to you though, Im sure you will do amazing!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

A good coach can instruct you through the whole process of depleting and then carbing up for the stage so that you don't look flat, but without you 'spilling over' and bloating up, effectively ruining your conditioned look.

This is very true!!

Back when I did it my cut diet consisted of low carbs and twice a day cardio. I freaking hated it but its what I was told to do. I trained with a girl who had her pro figure card so I trusted whatever she put in my head. We never counted or really logged cals but the diet consisted of boiled chicken, veggies, oatmeal in the morning and egg whites. It was very very bland. I would talk to your male friend and see what he does to cut bc it's really not too far off but you need to watch your deficit bc you can't go too low bc you'll risk sacrificing what LBM you've gained along the way.
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • JossFit
    Options

good point! thank you. I wouldnt even know where to find a coach around here. I just dont want to get on stage and make an *kitten* out of myself. GOOD LUCK to you though, Im sure you will do amazing!

You look like you obviously know your way around the gym and the kitchen, so maybe hiring a coach who can work with you online would be an option. Someone who can just tell you what to eat (either with a specific meal plan or providing macro ranges to hit) and give you an accompanying workout program might be all you need.

As long as you aren't a complete noob (which you surely can't be!) I'm sure following instructions on how to do the depletion and carb up would be fairly simple for you.

You can also find DVDs online or even just videos on youtube to help you with the posing routines.

You also might consider going and checking out forums on competition websites if you haven't already. I don't think most folks on MFP are in the know when it comes to these sorts of things! Bodybuilding.com, Leancurves.com, aboutmuscle.com, etc...
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options

You look like you obviously know your way around the gym and the kitchen, so maybe hiring a coach who can work with you online would be an option. Someone who can just tell you what to eat (either with a specific meal plan or providing macro ranges to hit) and give you an accompanying workout program might be all you need.

As long as you aren't a complete noob (which you surely can't be!) I'm sure following instructions on how to do the depletion and carb up would be fairly simple for you.

You can also find DVDs online or even just videos on youtube to help you with the posing routines.

You also might consider going and checking out forums on competition websites if you haven't already. I don't think most folks on MFP are in the know when it comes to these sorts of things! Bodybuilding.com, Leancurves.com, aboutmuscle.com, etc...
    I really appreciate your time and info...and compliments ;) Im going to check the area for a nutritionist. Ive been scoping out the websites for months and also watching videos on youtube. Hopefully all this comes together. Thanks again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is definitely going to be a stretch. if you cut to 12% body fat, which is really lean, at best you have 8 lbs of fat. More than likely, 5 lbs of fat loss would be ideal. Unfortunately, I can't provide much more detail on competition but I do know numbers, lol.