need night time snack ideas

Options
so.....I still have around 800 cals (even though it seems like I've done nothing but eat today) and could use a lil snack before hitting the sack but I'm not quite sure what it should be. Is it better to have protein rather than carbs or fat before going to sleep or does it matter when you're so far behind on them all???? This seems to be a big issue with me. So any ideas for a good p.m. / post workout snack would be fantastic! Thanks guys!!!!

Replies

• emilymckinney
    Options
    well its not good to go to bed with something in your stomach. your body is tired and takes longer to digest it. i stopped eating after seven and lost 3 pounds in like 2 weeks. and really i ate what i wanted just stayed within my calories.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    i like protein rather than fat..sometimes i have a spoon of peanut butter and a glass of milk..that eats up a good pile of calories and is filling,,
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I like a low-fat balance of carbs and protein: some whole-grain crackers and low-fat cheese or a bowl of Cheerios with 1% organic milk are a couple of my favorite night-time snacks.
  • size7again
    size7again Posts: 81
    Options
    100 calorie mini bags of butter popcorn
    slimfast snack bars (helps with chocolate cravings!)
    fruit snack since my kids always have some
    trail mix
    100 calorie cheesecake cups or yogurts

those are a few of my new and old favs that i have had this week... hope this helps!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    so.....I still have around 800 cals (even though it seems like I've done nothing but eat today) and could use a lil snack before hitting the sack but I'm not quite sure what it should be. Is it better to have protein rather than carbs or fat before going to sleep or does it matter when you're so far behind on them all???? This seems to be a big issue with me. So any ideas for a good p.m. / post workout snack would be fantastic! Thanks guys!!!!

Well I eat late nite snacks probably 5 out of 7 nights, I just make sure to log it in my diary. I usually have one or more of the following:

Almonds
    Special k 90 calorie snack bars
    Fruit
    Yogurt
    Cereal
    Rice cakes

I am a firm believer in eatting when hungry _ even if its the middle of the night or just after a meal. Just make smart decisions. I have lost 13 pounds in 1.5 months.
  • mlejoy3
    mlejoy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Sometimes I have vanilla protien powder, a banana, and silk vanilla Light in a shake. Keeps me full AND it's pretty good.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    chocolate milk. I work out late and need something before bed. I have a small glass of low-fat chocolate milk.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I like to have a light and fit yogurt with some berries and a breakfast bar. Yogurt 80 cal, berries 20 cal, breakfast bar 150 cal. For 250 calories I am satisfied and able to sleep well. If I go to bed hungry a lay awake for hours.
  • kondacmc
    kondacmc Posts: 2
    Options
    I read that a light carb is best as a bedtime snack (just like some parents give their infants cereal to sleep through the night - I disagree with it, but people do it) ... so I usually eat a small bowl of cereal (a high fiber, low sugar kind).