Why are we to add the calories we exercise off?

Options
So my understanding was always that you want to exercise off additional calories to lose weight. Why is it the calories you burn from exercise are added onto your daily calorie intake on the daily diet calculator? I'm sure there is a really good reason, I just don't know it.

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set up your original calorie goal. If you included your exercise in your activity level, then you don't want to eat back your extra calories. If you set up as sedentary, then you eat back at least some of the calories because you need them to fuel your workout. In my opinion, eat to lose weight, workout for fitness.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Because when MFP gives you your calorie goal, it has already calculated a deficit for you. This means that you will lose weight even if you do not exercise. If you exercise, you FURTHER increase that deficit, which could possibly be too large of a deficit and be detrimental when attaining this long term.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    MFP, by default, already adds the deficit from eating less. For instance, if you set a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 lbs per week, then your caloric intake is already deducted by 250 calories without exercise. Thus, if you burn 250 calories from exercise, you eat them back to stay within the 0.5 lb weekly plan. If you don't eat back some of the exercise calories, you are likely increasing the deficit.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I think (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!!) that the amount set on MFP is already a deficit, so if you do no exercise, you'll lose weight. Exercise burns off some of these so you should eat them back, or your body won't have enough fuel to function properly. Plus there's a high chance of grumpiness from hunger...or is that just me?!
  • darlin8
    darlin8 Posts: 14
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. So if I understand this...when I add my workout in do I really need to eat those extra calories?? It just doesn't make sense to me to eat back calories I just burned off...
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You should, because when you eat back those calories you'll still have a calorie deficit and still lose weight. I tend to think that MFP overestimates the number of calories burned with exercise, though, so I rarely eat back the full amount.
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. So if I understand this...when I add my workout in do I really need to eat those extra calories?? It just doesn't make sense to me to eat back calories I just burned off...

The rule of thumb I go by personally is if you're hungry eat and if you're not, don't eat. There is nothing to be gained by eating when you're not hungry.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It didn't make sense to me when I first started out here...but now it does. I eat back most of mine, but I don't eat all of them back, just in case I miss something in my calorie count during the day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

The rule of thumb I go by personally is if you're hungry eat and if you're not, don't eat. There is nothing to be gained by eating when you're not hungry.

In a word - nutrition.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about it. If you've set your budget with MFP you already have a deficit so theoretically you could eat those exercise calories back and still lose or maintain. Then comes the BUT. Most of us aren't that good at recording our food intake exactly. There's a lot of room for error unless you have some fabulous meticulous way of weighing, measuring and knowing that your counts are exact. Next comes the exercise that you did. Even with a HRM how do you know that you burned exactly X number of calories? What really counts as exercise over daily living? What you consider exercise might be part of what I just normally do in a day. Does your body really need to eat all those calories even if it is exact in order to function? Too may ifs and buts for me.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Exercise = more food.

/thread
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darlin8
    darlin8 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I get it now! :)
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    MFP, by default, already adds the deficit from eating less. For instance, if you set a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 lbs per week, then your caloric intake is already deducted by 250 calories without exercise. Thus, if you burn 250 calories from exercise, you eat them back to stay within the 0.5 lb weekly plan. If you don't eat back some of the exercise calories, you are likely increasing the deficit.

However, what my friend didn't say (but I know he's very aware of it), is that it is beneficial to try and consume the calories (in a healthy way) that you burned so that your body can use that energy to repair itself and keep your BMR at a level where you're not starving yourself (BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate - in other words, it's the minimum amount of energy that your body needs for you to lay in your bed for 24 hours and listen to the grass grow)... You don't want your BMR to dip too low. So healthy eating, and trying to stick to your limits can help keep your body from biologically reducing your BMR. (It reduces because if you starve yourself, biologically, your body will go into "reserve" mode and purposely lower it so that you're not expending unnecessary energy during those times... this is why when people who are anorexic try to start consuming a "normal" amount of food, they start to pack on the pounds so quickly)

You can approach it the way I do... you're now rewarded for the calories you've burned and can eat A) more than you normally would on a non-exercise day, or B) treat yourself to something of your choosing that you typically couldn't do on a normal non-exercise day. Hope this helped!