Fat Guy Jogging

Options
I'm 250 lbs right now and I was just saying to a friend that I could never see my self jogging, especially when I ride my bike as much as I do.

But something hit me last night and I had an urge to go and try my hand at jogging around the corrner. I decided not to do it in my neighborhood because we have big hills and I didn't want to mentally fail, so I decided to drive over to a nearby college that has a track. I only did 1/2 mile and it took me 7 mins but thats probably quicker than i've ever ran that distance in in my life.

And much to my surprise, I wasn't as tired as I thought I'd be. I suppose all of the cycling has my body conditioned a bit. I even felt like i probably could have kept going.

Well thats all, I didn't set a new world record or any thing. And I don't think Usain Bolt has to worry about me for the 2012 Olympics either, but it was definitely a huge moment for me.

Keep working hard everyone. We can all be successful. Don't look at success as a finish line, but as the hard work you put in every day.

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! It makes you feel good!!!
  • as1010ne
    as1010ne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read your post. Good job!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd run, either. I was a walker and I did yoga and my elliptical. My walks were up and down some pretty steep hills.

One day, I just thought, "I'm going to jog." And I did! :-) I'm still not a "runner" by any stretch, but I add jogging into my walks to get my calorie burn up a little. I don't go far or fast, but I do it and that's enough.

Good for you!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great job! Definitely a success to celebrate...it may not be a big deal to others, but it's a big deal to you.

Thanks for sharing!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I recommend Couch 2 5 k if you're interested in running as exercise. I've been doing it for about 8 weeks now and can run 2 1/2 miles. You can either google c25k or go to coolrunnings.com. It's an awesome program.
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    WTG! I started the C25K program at 230-ish pounds and have never looked back. I love running now (and this is very funny coming from the girl who used to forge notes to get out of PE :).
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I read your post and am really impressed. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Congrats to you! I have always wanted to be a runner but I have this huge monkey on my back holding me down, it's ME. I mentally don't feel like I'm strong enough to do it so sure enough when I try, I tire out almost immediatly. I have been my biggest challenge in this journey to lose weight but am working to breakdown all those negative things I say to myself. Congrats to you for getting over this hurdle. I bet you must feel amazing!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I just started the C25K program last night but felt good at the end. If you're looking to start jogging look up the C25K program.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    So how do you feel this morning? I can bike 30-40 miles, eazy-peazy, but running a mile makes me feel like I've been beaten with a bat. Just sore,,,

You feeling Ok?
  • mom12868
    mom12868 Posts: 8
    Options
    Awesome job... I would love to be fit enough to start running.. I guess baby steps is the way to go.. again.. AWESOME!:bigsmile:
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    So how do you feel this morning? I can bike 30-40 miles, eazy-peazy, but running a mile makes me feel like I've been beaten with a bat. Just sore,,,

You feeling Ok?

lol, right, biking is definitley where its at for me. I haven't quite ridden 40 miles yet ( most i've done in one sitting is probably only 10 miles) but I feel just fine after last nights jog. I got up and rode my bike to work today as I normally do.

thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome!.keep up the great work!!!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So many people are intimidated over running. Congrats for having the courage to go out there. It's the only way the weight loss happens for me. I can spend hours on the elliptical or bike with no significant loss. It's really just my training until I hit the pavement. Next step, 5k for a honorable cause :o) You would be surprised how well you can do with a mass of people cheering you on.
  • tscholar
    tscholar Posts: 9
    Options
    Good for you. I envy you. I am just able to brisk walk, hopefully working up t o a jog. Have asthma so it's not easy. I've been very inactive until now so it's difficult. You are my inspiration :)
  • nursedopey02
    Options
    Thats great! You should be very proud! I find jogging akward too but I can't do much else b/c I'm not very coordinated :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    congrats and when u seethe people on loser running(anything from a sprint to a marathon) you know you can do it!!! Good job
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you! That is a big deal! I've never, ever been a runner either. I have always been heavy, slow and had flat feet. I did start getting in shape and did a 5K once in my late twenties. It about killed me though. :huh:

I've lost 33 pounds since August and I just completed my 2nd 5K, along with my little sister. I'm still not the fastest, but I beat my time in my twenties and I actually didn't think I was going to die afterwards! I am running regularly now and I am trying to train myself my a 10K. I'm really starting to enjoying running and it definately burns a LOT of calories!! :wink:

Keep up the great work...both cycling AND running. Get control over your mind and you will be amazed at what your body can do!!!

Susan
  • jetSpeed28
    jetSpeed28 Posts: 34
    Options
    Congrats and thanks for the motivation :D
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You've inspired me! I'm starting next week... or when my legs are done screaming at me for this weeks workout.

Congrats!