Need motivation

Options
Hi all! My name is Dana. I am turning 28 next month, and I am 5'4, 198 lbs.

I manually set my calorie goal when I signed up for MFP at the beginning of the month - to 1250. I have an open diary and was wondering if you guys could take a look at what I am doing and what I might be doing wrong. I initially lost 6 lbs in the first couple of weeks. I gained back 2 and I haven't been seeing much progress since and I am not sure if it is just too soon for the progress I have hoped for, or if I am doing something wrong.

Also, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public!

Are you working out? Are you drinking plenty of water? Since you have PCOS, are you on any medications or at the very least monitoring your carbohydrate intake since most of us with PCOS are incredibly sensitive to carbs?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so I can't comment on what you are eating.

However, 1250 cals is most likely too low for you. I am 5' 5" and weight 197lbs and eat 1600 daily plus any calories I burn from exercise and lose a pound or two a week. Having too large of a deficit will cause you to lose muscle in the process (we all lose muscle while on a calorie deficit however there are way to help lower the amount we lose when trying to lose fat).

Ultimately, look at your weight loss over the long term. Striving for too much too fast is not the best way to do it. When you lose too much too quickly a large portion of that loss will be from muscle, along with the normal fat and water losses.
  • loveadrianna217
    loveadrianna217 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just fixed my diary. LOL - thanks! I am not on medications or monitoring carbs but maybe i should be on medication. I am not sure - we have been going through fertility treatments and are on a short break until the spring. I may have to consult with my OB GYN as I don't think the fertility dr would help with that.
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    Also I drink all my water but I forget to log.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How did you pick your calorie goal? I would recommend trying to base what you eat off of your TDEE and BMR. There's more information here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How did you pick your calorie goal? I would recommend trying to base what you eat off of your TDEE and BMR. There's more information here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I agree!
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    I picked it based on my mom's recommendation. I don't know if I should be following what she said!
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    I see that your diary is open now... a few tips...

1) Add sodium to the things you track (under settings). I would bet you are consuming a decent amount since you seem to eat a lot of processed foods (dressings, Morningstar products, etc)

2) How much water are you drinking? You don't seem to track any so I don't know how much you are drinking. Water is a must! It helps to offset water weight from sodium, helps hydrate, etc.

3) Increase your protein... you aren't normally meeting the goal MFP has for you which is far too low as it is. Protein is key as it helps muscle repair and helps you feel full for longer.

4) Try adding some more fruits and veggies to your diet.

5) Having PCOS can make you more sensitive to carbs. Try lowering them a bit and see if that helps.

6) Eat some more.. your daily goal is really low... that combined with very low amounts of protein and no weight lifting will cause you to lose muscle mass. Increasing cals, protein and heavy lifting will help you to preserve muscle mass.

Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids or eyeballing the portions? Are you selecting the proper entry in the database for what you are eating (a lot of entries are not correct)?

Take your time and you will lose your weight. When trying to lose weight the majority of people will not lose each week as so many things cause us to lose, gain or stay the same.

Fertility treatments may affect your progress due to hormone changes... however with that I am only guessing as hormone changes can make you retain water.
  • hspower50
    Options
    I can talk much because I've only been on here for about two weeks but if I had to guess I would say: there are no veggies or fruit and you eat a lot of bread! Like I said I don't really know but that's just a guess. You also may not be getting enough calories. When I go to weigh myself on Saturday, if I haven't lost any weight, the first thing I'm going to do is up my calories. Sometimes if we don't eat enough our bodies go into starvation mode and won't lose any weight.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

I agree with the above! I lose much better now that I have increased my calories.

I am an inch taller than you and weight the same and eat at minimum 1600 cals a day.
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    I see that your diary is open now... a few tips...

1) Add sodium to the things you track (under settings). I would bet you are consuming a decent amount since you seem to eat a lot of processed foods (dressings, Morningstar products, etc)

2) How much water are you drinking? You don't seem to track any so I don't know how much you are drinking. Water is a must! It helps to offset water weight from sodium, helps hydrate, etc.

3) Increase your protein... you aren't normally meeting the goal MFP has for you which is far too low as it is. Protein is key as it helps muscle repair and helps you feel full for longer.

4) Try adding some more fruits and veggies to your diet.

5) Having PCOS can make you more sensitive to carbs. Try lowering them a bit and see if that helps.

6) Eat some more.. your daily goal is really low... that combined with very low amounts of protein and no weight lifting will cause you to lose muscle mass. Increasing cals, protein and heavy lifting will help you to preserve muscle mass.

Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids or eyeballing the portions? Are you selecting the proper entry in the database for what you are eating (a lot of entries are not correct)?

Take your time and you will lose your weight. When trying to lose weight the majority of people will not lose each week as so many things cause us to lose, gain or stay the same.

Fertility treatments may affect your progress due to hormone changes... however with that I am only guessing as hormone changes can make you retain water.

Thanks so much! I am drinking the water but i need to get better at tracking it. I never remember. Also I always weight and measure everything. I really apprecaite the tips. It is hard for me because I am pretty limited in what I actually want to eat. I am picky!
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    I can talk much because I've only been on here for about two weeks but if I had to guess I would say: there are no veggies or fruit and you eat a lot of bread! Like I said I don't really know but that's just a guess. You also may not be getting enough calories. When I go to weigh myself on Saturday, if I haven't lost any weight, the first thing I'm going to do is up my calories. Sometimes if we don't eat enough our bodies go into starvation mode and won't lose any weight.

Thank you! I try to eat fruits and vegetables as often as I can but I feel like I get sick of them real quick because I would rather eat other items. I am so darn picky. I am really trying to incorporate them.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Thank you! I try to eat fruits and vegetables as often as I can but I feel like I get sick of them real quick because I would rather eat other items. I am so darn picky. I am really trying to incorporate them.

If you aren't really a fan of veggies try cooking them different ways. They taste a lot different depending on how you prepare them. If all else fails, puree some and add them to sauces!

I noticed you like wings (at least they were in your diary a few times) so try the buffalo cauliflower bites. Coat cauliflower pieces in buffalo sauce (or honey garlic.. whatever "wing" sauce you like ... you can find lower sodium and calorie versions out there ) and than put onto a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until the cauliflower is done. THey are soooo good!

Another way to add some veggies is stuffed chicken. Slice chicken down the middle (make a pocket in a piece of chicken breast) than stuff with brocolli cut up small, add some finely chopped carrots, etc and stuff into the chicken. You can do the same with baked potatos (bake the potatos, when done take out of the oven, cut in half and scoop out the insides... mash and than add some broccoli.. mix up and put back into the potato... bake for a few more mins) So good as well!
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    The suggestions you just made sound ridiculously delicious to me! I am SO glad you wrote. Thank you so much!!
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would try to raise your intake to around 1500 and see if there are any changes. I also agree on the lower sodium. Picky eating can be difficult... I used to be terribly picky, but I started to force myself to branch out and it has made an extreme difference. Even something simple like changing your bread to a whole grain, brown rice or quinoa, whole wheat pasta, ect. If you don't have much time to cook, it is great to pick a day to prep and cook for the week as well, because you are definitely getting a lot of sodium from the prepackaged foods.
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    I would try to raise your intake to around 1500 and see if there are any changes. I also agree on the lower sodium. Picky eating can be difficult... I used to be terribly picky, but I started to force myself to branch out and it has made an extreme difference. Even something simple like changing your bread to a whole grain, brown rice or quinoa, whole wheat pasta, ect. If you don't have much time to cook, it is great to pick a day to prep and cook for the week as well, because you are definitely getting a lot of sodium from the prepackaged foods.
    Thank you! I honestly never considered sodium before. I will think about that!!
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love the morningstar products, but they are just so full of sodium :( I know I notice a huge difference in how bloated I was when I cut it down :)
  • loveadrianna217
    Options
    I love the morningstar products, but they are just so full of sodium :( I know I notice a huge difference in how bloated I was when I cut it down :)
    Thanks! I am sort of addicted to them. They are very convenient for me, between my crazy schedule!