Shakes..

Options
I am wanting to start taking a shake.. I was taking a slim fast in the morning in place of breakfast but its now discussed me about how much sugar are in them.. I want something that will be healthy, low in sugar, and that will taste great.. I have heard of Shakeology, Body by Vi, and other things.. What do you all recommend?. Btw I would like something affordable!

Replies

• PossumPink
    PossumPink Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would like to know others opinions on this too.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you want to start having a shake over eating a real meal for breakfast? Just curious.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Make a fruit smoothie at home. Use what ever frozen or fresh fruit that you want, a littel bit of fruti juice, some plain yoguart, and a little honey and ice. Blend it up and enjoy. You can also add some powered vitamins to it or some protein powder.
  • rjk1503
    rjk1503 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have just started drinking spinach shakes every morning. they fill me up just as much as protein from eggs or egg beaters would! They run about 250-300 calories and are made from all natural products... no company pushing "their" shake.
    here's my recipe:
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (you can use skim milk, but I save calories where I can!)
    1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt (protein!)
    2 cups of spinach
    1 cup of frozen strawberries
    1-2 cups of other fruits... pineapple, mango, oranges, apples... whatever you choose!
    1 tbsp chia seeds (tons of health benefits from chia seeds!)

it comes out looking green and gross, but tastes awesome!
  • LisaK1228
    Options
    Make a fruit smoothie at home. Use what ever frozen or fresh fruit that you want, a littel bit of fruti juice, some plain yoguart, and a little honey. Blen it up and enjoy. You can also add some powered vitamins to it or some protein powder.

I second this! Make a smoothie yourself!

I use a cup of frozen strawberries, half of a banana, a scoop of protein powder, a cup of almond milk, and a handful of ice. They are amazing!

I've done the fad shakes in the past and haven't ever had any luck.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Not to echo everyone else...but make your own!

Mine usually amount to -

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 frozen banana
    frozen fruit (strawberries/blackberries/whatever I have on hand)
    almond milk/skim milk until I get the consistency of a good smoothie
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    Has anyone tried the gnc lean shakes?
  • Gymtrainer_23
    Options
    You are better off having a protein shake. Most shakes such as slimfast have a lot of sugar.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The less prepared and full of artificial flavours the better. Get a simple whey protein without carageenan and artificial flavours and blend it up with fruit, coconut/nut oil and even sometime like oats or chia seeds to make a well rounded to-go breakfast. Protein+complex carb+oil = great meal replacement shake. Whey looks expensive on the sticker, but per serving of protein it's comparatively cheap. Or use stuff like cottage cheese and yogurt :)
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to get the GNC Total Lean shakes. 25 grams of protein and filling. Usually get them during gold card week (the 1st week of every month) and can usually score them BOGO 1/2 off. Here are the flavors I like:

Banana
    Mixed Berries (fave)
    Chocolate Peanut Butter
    Strawberry
    French Vanilla
    Chocolate

With me, it's a texture thing. These taste good but also go down smooth and aren't gritty. I love to add strawberries to the banana one. Also I don't mix them with milk, I use water and love these!
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find that egg protein or casein protein powders work better for me in the morning. If I make it w/whey powder, I'm starving an hour later.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sarahmartin20, see my post below. They are the only ones I will use (that I have tried without throwing out).
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like PlantFusion Vanilla Bean protein powder mixed with Silk Light plain soy milk and a tablespoon of pb2...soooo good!
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    Yes I seen it Booboo68... Thank you so much. I was iffy to try them and from what it sounds like it wouldn't be a waste of my money. :)
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    bump