On My Own

Options
On Monday night I was watching the Biggest Loser with my Husband and I wanted to die. First I realized that I weigh as much as some of the contestants on that show! I was horrified! I then listened to my husband say, "Wow look how much weight he/she lost! Boy they look great! That's so impressive." I've never once heard him say anything like that to me about any of my weight loss. I once lost 30 pounds and he barely said a thing. I try to get him involved in my weight loss, and it lasts for a day. I feel so alone. I guess I'll have to do this on my own.

Replies

• Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm sorry he isn't more supportive. I wonder why he felt the need to comment about the BL contestants and he isn't there for you. You should talk to him about it and tell him it would be nice if he would support you more on your journey.
    I'm thinking this is a possibility: when you see the same person day in and day out you really don't notice a change. If you had run into an old friend at the mall after losing weight, they're the first to comment ... because they haven't seen you in a while.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is it possible he just doesn't see a drastic change because he sees you every day? I've lost quite a bit of weight before MFP and my bf has said nothing about it, but was saying stuff during BL last night
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's that the people on that show, are portrayed as losing that much in a week? So it looks so very drastic? But I agree with Caper, you should talk to him about support. It took two months before my husband would even tell me good job after going to the gym. They're kinda slow you know :) Maybe he just needs you to tell him that you need the support.
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    I'd go easy on him.
    A) Boys are kind of dense sometimes.
    B) Its very difficult to see the change in someone when you see them everyday. Since its so gradual, all he knows is that you look the same as yesterday and the day before.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Either way it sucks.....sometimes the people you see on a regular basis are the least likely to notice your efforts. Someone just told me last week, "Boy you look different." REALLY - I've lost over 100 pounds and you're just now noticing????

Don't give up hope though - I was "on program" for at least 6 months before my husband actually started logging on MFP and doing stuff to lose the rest of his weight too.

Just keep doing what you're doing - people are watching, TRUST me. and DON'T base your motivation or self-worth by what others do or say (or don't do or don't say). You aren't doing this to get comments from your spouse. You're doing this to be healthier for you.
  • act2redux
    act2redux Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having lived with that same scenario before, I totally understand!! ...you have to find a way to be in the place where you know you are doing this for YOU and if others notice, then - superb!! ....I really struggle still, cuz there is no atta- boy forthcoming- but take joy in looking better in your clothes, getting to buy new ones?, feeling better physically...all that stuff. Eventually, he will nottce and say something- but yeah, it does seem to be typical guy behavior...
  • jfarnden
    Options
    Sometimes husbands are a bit like that. My mother was going through chemo and was losing her hair. She went to the hair dresser one day and got it cropped quite short. It took him the better part of a week to notice. Then when she swapped to a wig he had no idea at all for ages.
    So unless you go on holiday for 2 weeks and come back really really lighter i wouldn't be too hard on him for not noticing. Just give him the scoop that you've made better changes than their crash dieting and extreme exercise and stick to them. If you want him to stick around and exercise too try stroking the old ego "Just think how good you'd look with all that muscle and tone".
    Ive basically thrown out everything in the house that isn't salad, fruit or low calorie, so now together we have no choice but to eat healthy.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank God for my husband telling me he can see my efforts pay off ! I've only lost 18 lbs, but the exercise has really made a difference in my size. You are not alone...you have all of us here !!! :happy:
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Those shows are tailored to show the difference in big visual ways, your husband i assume sees you ever day and therefore would not see that big before and after difference the way its dipicted on the show.

that said, tell him how you feel, best to get it out.

and finally your not alone, relativly fresh to this forum thing but there is NO shortage of decent people with reassuring things to say.

Good luck!!

:smile:
  • lythy77
    lythy77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ok lets change the perspective here. perhaps deep down hes worried you wil get all slim and leave him. for a hunky gym guy.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I'd go easy on him.
    A) Boys are kind of dense sometimes.
    B) Its very difficult to see the change in someone when you see them everyday. Since its so gradual, all he knows is that you look the same as yesterday and the day before.

I agree. Using the 'Dense' card has always got me out of a sticky situation. Apparently makes me look cute too.

I still don't understand women. o.O :tongue:

But yea, completely agree. I didn't notice my wife's weight-loss for a loooooong time. She never even told me she was dieting.

Then one day she walked in with a tight fitting top and KAPOW!.. WTF!!

Mind Blown!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You really need to find the motivation to lose weight for yourself and no one else. I want to be a better father and husband and be around a long time to see my grandkids. Doing it to get a compliment from your husband is never going to keep you motivated.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I've realized now that this is my journey and I have to do this for myself. My husband and I have always been a team, but I guess with this the only way that I'm going to conquer my demons is if I make the changes - not Him. I'll give him some slack, but I can't say that it still doesn't hurt.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    One thing is he sees you everyday and your 30 lbs was gradual, but on the show it crammed into a hour program with many differnt people on it. So there's is going to pop out more... Doubt it's anything against you......
  • jcsalsa
    jcsalsa Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm sorry he is that way. My husband use to say things like well we need to loose weight and then grab a big bag of chips to eat. But has always told me how beautiful I was no matter the size of me. But I know it is difficult to do it by your self but you are not alone we are all here together. I also feel alone at doing this life change because I have to make separate dinners for my husband as he doesn't eat any vegetables. Anytime you want to chat feel free to contact me. We can do this together and please remember you are not doing the life change for him or anyone else except for YOU.
  • jcsalsa
    jcsalsa Posts: 25
    Options
    Very true.
  • sfcreighton
    sfcreighton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Support, especially from loved ones, is important. However, our weight, our body size, our body image is our own responsibility. We have to own who we are in every regard and can't look to others for excuses, blame or sympathy. I don't mean to sound harsh, but in order to change your mind set and achieve the goals you have for yourself, you have to be critically tougher on yourself, and not focus on other's criticism (or lack of support).
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sadly enough, men just don't see or notice when their women are losing weight. You gotta take the Bull by the horns and tell em you lost this amount & keep on going no matter what he says or doesn't say. Hopefully he'll start complimenting you. Good Luck :smile:
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I agree. Using the 'Dense' card has always got me out of a sticky situation. Apparently makes me look cute too.

I still don't understand women. o.O :tongue:

But yea, completely agree. I didn't notice my wife's weight-loss for a loooooong time. She never even told me she was dieting.

Then one day she walked in with a tight fitting top and KAPOW!.. WTF!!

Mind Blown!!

I'm not telling him anymore. I'm just going to do it. I have to do this for me - not for him, and I'd rather plug forward on my own without expecting his support and succeed than expect it, not get it and stumble.