After Running

Options
So I find after I run for the most part, when I really push myself to do 7km or so, I get really cold about 1/2 hour after my workout. My hand sare like ice. I dont feel like I've overdone it, and my hands get super cold. Any ideas as to why? I have been running 7k 5 days a week for about 2.5 weeks. I've always been more of a runner then weight lifter and I find that Im not tired, I am not hungry so I feel as if Im getting enough food.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    mine do too, weird.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Could be a circulation issue, could be that it's January...? Where do you live?
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Live in Alberta, its -12 here but it happens even when its nice outside. My hands get so cold i actually sit at my desk after my run with a cup of hot water to hold. lol
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a circulation issue. Just a theory (I'm no dr.), but perhaps blood is shunting to your quads and hamstrings for muscle repair, etc., and away from your hands, and that's why your hands get cold. If it's bothersome, you may want to check with a sports medicine doc, especially one that may specialize in circulatory issues.
  • lisalydia1
    Options
    I get cold DURING my run when I am dehydrated. Wondering if you are hydrating enough right after running?
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Today i drank 6 glasses of water a few hours before my run, so its no dehydration.. POssibly it is a circulation issue. I have run on the eliptical before and my feet have gone knumb lol
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be a circulatory problem. Make sure to stay hydrated and maybe try doing a more thorough cool down/stretching session afterwards.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. It's nice in the summer, not so much now! Your feet go numb on the elliptical because you aren't moving them around. Try to lift your feet occasionally or after 15 minutes take a 15 second break and step off to stamp your feet.