Protein

Options
Okay, so I am not getting enough protein... I can't gag back fish or red meat yet. I am eating chicken, but I have gotten to the point where I am dreading cooking it. (Several different recipes make it better, but its the same thing everyday, chicken...) I love carbs... Yogurt, whole grain pasta, cheese... I have restricted eating these things but am finding that I am having trouble staying under the amount per day I am allotted and still eating enough.

Yesterday I stood in my kitchen for 5 minutes trying to think of what I could eat that had little carbs in it. I came up with nothing. I wasn't hungry, but still had 700 odd calories to eat for the day. I tried to eat chicken again, but just couldn't get it down. I season it with Rosemary, or organic chili seasoning, mustard, rotisserie spices, you name it I have tried it.

Okay I need ideas on how to get more protein in, and not have to gag it back. This is a life change for me, so I need to be able to eat foods that are not only good for me but that I actually like.

Any ideas? I am in the process of searching for clean foods that are high in protein and so low in carbs I can stay within the goal. So far I got nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried eggs, but without salt, its just not good. I tried Tofu, but the texture made me gag. I realize this is going to take time to get used to, just like getting rid of the sugar cravings did and kicking the soda habit and kicking the processed foods habit. But I am dying here for something other than chicken to eat...

I dislike veggies. I try to eat a salad everyday, but I still need the 1 calorie per spray of Italian dressing I have, which has carbs!

Replies

• Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What is your carb goal for the day?
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    209 is the goal.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    Ok so you don't like fish, red meat, tofu, or veggies.. that's a difficult one! Greek yogurt tends to have more protein.. all of the protein that I eat tends to come from veggies, whole grains, and a vegan protein shake that I take. If you want to add me to look at my food diary feel free!
  • DeLiRi0uS2010
    Options
    Beans, and things like lentils have lots of protein too.
  • lightdiva1
    Options
    I just made my dairy public, I hope that helps. I know there have been some "not so good choices" on there. I started changing my lifestyle January 6th, and to avoid total and complete failure I have allowed myself to have comfort food when the stress levels explode. (I had two weeks where my children both had the flu and bronchitis, and a week where finals took place...) So lets discount the pizza oopses. I knew better. That is not an everyday choice.

I am looking to expand my recipes, but am scared to waste the little money I have and make something I am not sure I will like. My tastes are changing, which is good, but certain foods are still really hard to eat, like veggies. Going from frozen food, and eating out, and a bag of chips to what I have managed to change has been hard but well worth it. I want to stick with it.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    do protein shakes, some have upwards of 50 grams of protein in one scoop and 240 calories
  • mjsasha
    mjsasha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is awsome for protein
  • lightdiva1
    Options
    I really wish I loved veggies. That would make my life so much easier! I have meal replacement shakes that I use for breakfast, but I was hoping to find actual food I could cook as well. Yes, its about weight loss, but tis also about learning to do this for the rest of my life. Eating meal replacement shakes for the rest of my life for every meal is not really a good goal.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    have you looked into protein powders at all? they can be a great protein supplement. For me, I have one for breakfast everyday b/c i cant choke down real food til about mid-morning LOL There are a ton out there with delicious flavors. I would recommend one but I am currently experimenting myself!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein shakes?

Yes, you do need to have protein in the form of food, but you can add shakes to supplement your protein - and there are many delicious brands and flavors out there!

I lift weights and supplement my daily intake with at least 2 protein shakes. I really like the Body Logix Strawberry Banana - and it's one of the more inexpensive brands that has no added flavors or colors. I found it at my local Meijer for less than $20 for a big container.

My goal is about 150 g / day.
  • smartguy05
    smartguy05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in protein and low in carbs, not good to eat all the time but a good snack.
  • dlcuthbert
    dlcuthbert Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also agree you can drink a quality protein shake with water. However some people would rather eat their protein/calories than drink them.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

Search protein with low carbs and you will get some great results that you can pick through and find options that you like :)

It's a pretty good database.
  • wantmytruk
    wantmytruk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley makes great protein bars, I eat them every day!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    See what you can find in the threads on here under Recipes, there's tons of Chicken Crockpot and other threads with a zillion different ways to fix chicken that taste different each time.

Lots of us eat chicken so we've learned to get creative... click the Search feature and you'll find Crockpot and Chicken ideas.

Short on time or I'd dig up the links for you myself!:flowerforyou:
    Just curios. Why no salt on your eggs?
    why salt eggs? :tongue: Peppers, onions, loads of more fun things to put on the... :bigsmile:
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just curios. Why no salt on your eggs?
  • Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk. They just revamped the light formula and call it "Evolve" but it comes in chocolate and mixed berry flavors and both are really good! They're only 110 calories and give you about 15g of protein per serving. I think it's sold at Walmart & Target.
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (low fat), lots of protein
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (low fat), lots of protein

Eggs, other low fat cheeses, milk. For the times I run lower on protein than I care do I drink a berry protein drink that I get from Herbalife. It has 70 calories and 15 grams of whey protein per serving.
  • lightdiva1
    Options
    I am trying to cut back the sodium intake. Being 5'4'' and 291.8 pounds is far from healthy. At my last checkup (where I weighed 307.8) I was told where I needed to cut back significantly. My doc suggested I not add salt to anything. He knows I love pasta and that has sodium in it. (So no need to add it in other places)

I eat a meal replacement shake for breakfast, and have no issue with it I love it. But it is more expensive to eat shakes and bars for every meal than it is to cook.

I am struggling with wanting the weight to come off RIGHT NOW, and doing whatever that takes, versus learning to cook healthy meals and eat healthy because this is a forever change.