Eating less and exercising. No weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• 4mcarr1
    Options
    Don't feel alone, I have been doing this since the middle of December and still at the same weight as when I started! I am 59 and really struggling with why I keep going on.
  • daberg
    daberg Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Sometimes when you begin to increase exercise, you build muscle, which weighs more than fat. This being said, you can sometimes not see the difference on the scale, but your body is changing for the better by ridding itself of fat and adding muscle. This will in turn increase your metabolism and in time you will have a higher calorie burn rate even resting. Don't give up, you are doing the right things. Also, if you are scaling back too much on calories, your body will go into a survival mode and store fat because it thinks it is not getting enough nutrition. Isn't it amazing how complex the human body is? All these things may seem not so reassuring right now in your frustration but know you are on the right track.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to compare your rate of weight loss to a man. Also, it's been 10 days.. so yeah.

Nice shirt! Love Tool
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to compare your rate of weight loss to a man. Also, it's been 10 days.. so yeah.

Nice shirt! Love Tool

ty :D
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    :laugh: - no, she's not gaining appreciable muscle in nine days of 30 Day Shred.....especially in a calorie deficit.

Um.....does anyone else think that this sounds a wee-bit harsh? Sheesh!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I have been doing this since about Jan 20th.

It's January 30th.

And no, it's not muscle.

Be patient!
  • CortneyHicks20
    Options
    STICK WITH IT!! Throw that scale in the garbage can and buy a bigger mirror because that's what really matters. You've gotten some great feedback so far so i'll just reiterate this, STICK WITH IT!!!
  • NeptuneTang
    Options
    Hi.

This is my first time posting and I am exactly in the same boat. I am doing between 1200 and 1400 cals and the 30 day shred. I feel that I am not struggling with eating this amount of cals.
    I think it can be confusing because some people are losing 10-14 pounds in their first month! And of course, we all want that don't we? So when you think you are doing everything 'right', you want to see change.

I have just read all the info people have posted (thanks so much guys) and my brain hurts! I had no idea it is so complex.
    I have a lot to learn!
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I totally understand what your going through! I've been in the same boat for quite a while! Though I just started with the 1200 calories I've been working out for quite some time! And I work out a lot for a working woman! I burn about 560 calories everyday! Still haven't seen any weight loss!, i have been stuck with the weight thing!
  • NeptuneTang
    Options
    "- no, she's not gaining appreciable muscle in nine days of 30 Day Shred.....especially in a calorie deficit. "

Yes.
    I thought that comment was a bit harsh indeed but I'll let it slide.
    Thanks to everyone who explained what the comment was supposed to mean by posting some factual information. :flowerforyou:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Before you can lose weight, your body will build muscle which you are accomplishing by exercising.
    How often do you exercise?
    Do you get your heart rate up to help burn the calories?
    Do you go to a gym and use just equipment? Or do you have a personal trainer who will push you beyond what you think you can do?

Sorry but the OP is not building muscle... you need to eat at a surplus of calories to build any real amount of muscle while lifting heavy weights. Building muscle is very difficult to do, especially as woman. You can gain maybe 10lbs of muscle in a year when all the conditions are right.

For the OP, a few days isn't enough time to see results. Some people will lose consistantly, some won't. Weight loss takes time! If you are closer to your goal (I believe you said 15lbs?) than set your weight loss goal at 0.5lbs per week. The less you have to lose the slower it will come off and the smaller of a deficit you need. Too high of a deficit will cause you to actually lose muscle mass.

Ensure you are tracking everything you eat (oils used for cooking, butter/maragrine on toast, milk/cream/sugar in coffee/tea, etc). Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything (weigh solids/powders, measuring cups and spoons for liquids). Pay attention to packages. A lot of times a package that we would think of as a single serving is actually two or more servings. Mkae sure you are tracking sodium as well... you would be surprised at how much sodium there is in some things. Make sure you are getting enough protien and drinking enough water. Also, eat your exercise calories back... especially if you are on a low daily calorie amount.

Stick with it and you will see results. Unfortunately every week won't be a loss... weight loss isn't linear.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing answers. I really appreciate the tips, especially to be patient. It's hard when my husband loses 9 lbs. in a month just from cutting back on beer and I can't budge! I will work on that part. I have always been on the sporty/muscular side and tend to weigh a bit more than most my height, so I've been frequently discouraged by BMI stats.

I will start measuring. I swear I thought my pants snapped a bit easier the other day.

I love this community! Thank you and good luck and hard work on your journey too!

Don't compare yourself to anyone, especially a man. Men have more lean muscle than women and therefore tend to have a much higher metabolism making it easier for them to lose. You can't compare yourself to your husband or anyone else. Even a woman of the same height, age and weight as you will not have the same results.

Also, I wouldn't go by the BMI stats... I find them not very accurate.