Help for ladies w/o core strength (thx to precious babies)

Options
This topic is for any advice for women like me who have little to no core strength ... thanks to my precious babies!

Replies

• Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Level 2 day 2 of Julian Michaels 30 day shred. STILL my neck hurts more than my abs when doing any abdominal exercise.. I also have to do girl style push ups because my back and belly just WONT hold up. Doc says its because of my pregnancies, but is fixable. I need help! Thx in advance!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    All I can say is give it time. My core is ridiculously strong now but it took a while. How long since you had the last? I remember it being a good 3 years before my muscles were restored. I also had to overcome a muscular separation. Doing planks has helped a lot.
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My youngest is 14 months... 3 years sounds like an eternity :( Planks it is.. Thx!
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I had two c-sections 3 and 5 years ago, not to mention my c-scar appears to be much higher up above my bikini line than others I've seen. That may or may not contribute to the lack of strength in my core. I just finished day 8 level one of 30 day shred, and as much as I try to do the crunches in the second circuit I still have trouble. I find that instead of putting my hands behind my ears, that if I hold my arms out parallel to the floor it helps keep the strain off my neck and focus more on pulling in at my core.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    All I can say is give it time. My core is ridiculously strong now but it took a while. How long since you had the last? I remember it being a good 3 years before my muscles were restored. I also had to overcome a muscular separation. Doing planks has helped a lot.

Would doing planks on my elbows rather than my hands be equally as effective?

Or should I say forearms...
  • KyahRose86
    Options

Would doing planks on my elbows rather than my hands be equally as effective?

Or should I say forearms...

I believe they can be done either way. I've seen planks done as low planks (on the forearms) and high planks, held up on hands. Not really sure what, or if there is much of a difference other than forearm vs hands.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It takes SO much time. I am a physical therapist and I tell my patients that it takes time after surgery all the time, but I am so impatient! I have had two c-sections (2008 and 2010) and feel like my core strength is back to where it was within the last 6 months even though I started back with ab exercises 3 months after my second. I started with planks on my knees and elbows and progressed to full planks. I started lower abs (laying on your back and lowering your legs) with my knees bent and now can do them with legs straight, but I still have to stabilize my tailbone with my hands.