Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybird_502
    ladybird_502 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm on a vegan diet. I get protein from making my own protein shakes in the morning. I use Jay Robb's Whey Protein Powder (we get enough soy as it is here in the uS!). It has 110 calories, 1 carb, and 25g of protein. A great way to kick start your protein for the day!

I mix mine with some unsweetened choc almond milk, a banana, and some frozen mixed berries. Ugly in color, but it tastes like a treat!

I also look for things by Kashi that have lots of protein (many of the cereals and oatmeals offer as much protein as an egg!)

Almonds are another great source of protein, as are legumes.

You can buy all of it at Whole Foods. The protein will set you back about $25, but it will last for a long time. Good luck!
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know you don't like veggies, but have you tried them in a smoothie? Oh man, I could live on spinach smoothies. I have one most days of the week. Just a couple handfuls of spinach, a frozen banana, some peanut butter, and some milk (I use almond). It's sooo good.

I'm vegan, so I don't get any protein for animal products. I eat lots of nuts, beans, grains (quinoa is my favorite, and it's so versatile), and veggies.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    protein powder, you can mix it with things or drink it as a shake, and you can get lke 30 grams of protein from it with little fat and few carbs.
    No carbs and no fat annd no sugar in Nectar (chocolate truffle and fuzzy navel (orange) flavors are really good by themselves, or the chocolate with coffee is good too) and only 100 cals and 23 grams of protein
    or protein bars are good too, just watch the sugar and carbs in those.
    you can also have quinoa (it's a grain with lots of protein), nuts, nut butter, eggs (egg whites too)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Give tofu another try. Only get extra frim and the trick is to throw the entire package (as is from the grocery store) straight into the freezer overnight. Then, take out and let thaw in your fridge. In my fridge it takes at least two full day to thaw, so plan accordingly. When you ar eready to use cut open package and stand over sink. Gently squeeze the tofu block and tons of water will rush out of it. Turn and squeeze again a couple of times.

My favorites to do with tofu:

Tofu Parm
    Cut block into 8 slices. Dip into water and egg mixture and then coat in breadcrumbs lightly. In oiled pan ( I use about 2 tbsp) saute the tofu for about 4-5 min on each side until golden brown. You could use this in a variety of ways but I make into parmesan bake.

I use a little red sauce and spread in 8X8 casserole. Make one layer of the tofu, squish them into place if need be. Top with some tomato sauce, spread 1/2 cup fat free ricotta, sprinle 1/2 skim mozzerella shredded cheese, sprinkle 1 tbsp grated romano or parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 till melted and bubbly. Makes 4 servings. I put one serving over 2 oz of linguini with a 1/4 cup red sauce and it is about 490 calories for a filling dinner.

Stirfry:
    Cut into one inch diced pieces, use a little oil, fry in large saute pan on med-high heat for about 10-13 minutes, turning to get each side cooked periodically. You can use whatever seasonings. I have this fast easy tofu lo mein dish from allrecipes.com which uses a bag of frozen asian veggies 1 tbsp lite soy sauce and 1/2 packet ramen noodle oriental mix. I add fresh broccoli and throw in mostly cooked ramen noodles block and then there's a nice tofu dinner too. I think that one is about 400 calories per serving.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pork? Or a well marinated beef like tenderloin? I have heard that quinoa is high in protein but Im not sure about carbs. There are also ground chicken/turkey options that might help. You could make your own taco meat or meatballs? I personally like protein drinks and I do love chicken. My favorite protein drink is Unjury. Its tastey not granually and low in calories.
  • maitaicole
    Options
    What about Egg Whites for snacks, and Dannon has an amazing fat free 130 calorie greek yougurt it's full of protien!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try turkey as a change from chicken. Also, I monitor my sodium due to HBP and I can still salt my eggs. Go to MyHome, Goals, Change Goals, Custom and set your soduim level to 1500mg. Then change your diary settings to show sodium as one of your "macros." Then you can plan your meals for the day and see what your actual soduim intake is. If you monitor carbs, protein, fat and sodium you can basicaly eat whatever you like within those ranges and your total calorie count--even pizza.
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    Things I eat often, high in protein....

Milk
    Scrambled eggs with a little cheese
    Cottage Cheese (this is my go to)
    Greek yogurt (there are so many kinds out there, you're bound to find a good one)
    Chicken breast - I'm getting tired of this too, have you tried marinating it? I defrost mine and quirt some lemons in there. It comes out very soft, and goooood.
    Tuna

I think the limit for carbs and calories on this website is great, but every body is different. I would try to stay away from the carbs, but do not freak out if you go a little over. Plus, your body needs carbs. Especially when you're working out.

Good luck!
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I recommend peanut butter or another nut butter - you get healthy fats from the nuts and lots of protein. Also egg whites, turkey, beans, and lentils, as others have said. best of luck to you!
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I run for the Greek yogurt and protein shakes when having trouble reaching my goal.

So far, Fage 2% (or 0%) plain is the best with a teas of honey, almonds and cinnimon. Although Yoplait Greek 100 key lime is good and doesn't have too much sugar. Gold Standard vanilla ice cream flavored whey protein is great tossed in a blender with some fruit.
  • cathy10222
    cathy10222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "Think Thin" bars, Trader Joe's carries them, are yummy and a good dose of protein!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    do protein shakes, some have upwards of 50 grams of protein in one scoop and 240 calories
    Def P.Shakes and Eggs I do hard boiled without yolk. Edamame is high in protein low in carbs. Spinach
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley makes great protein bars, I eat them every day!

Agreed!
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    I eat Atkins Meal bars for breakfast. They're loaded with protein, taste pretty good with a cup of coffee, and are low carb. They truly keep me satisfied until lunch. Turkey sausage and eggs gives lots of protein and fills you up too!
  • Dust1182
    Dust1182 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are a great option when looking for more protein. I love almonds and walnuts in salads and sunflower seeds are fabulous on cottage cheese, especially with beets. Cottage cheese and yogurt are good for protein also. Try some smoothies. Hope this helps.
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    Oh, and favorite thing to do with chicken breasts is to marinate them with Indian spices and plain yogurt. They're super tender and flavorful. Good luck!
  • emilyrose6
    emilyrose6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have trouble getting enough protein sometimes, too.

Here's the thing about tofu, in my opinion: It should NEVER be the "featured" ingredient. In fact, I camouflage it as much as possible by chopping it up really small and dousing it in spices. One of my favorite high-nutrient, low-calorie meals is lentil curry: Cook lentils according to the package directions. Then saute about half an onion and half a package of tofu (VERY FINELY CHOPPED!) with Indian spices in a little bit of olive oil in a skillet. Mix it all together with a large can of low-sodium diced tomatoes. I generally eat it with rice, but if you're watching your carbs you wouldn't have to.