Hard time losing weight on antidepressants

Options
I have very slowly lost 10 pounds but it's getting the other 20 off is the problem. I follow a strict diet 90% of the time and exercise about 3-4 days a week. I'm thinking I should add in more exercise. I just want to know if it's possible to lose all the weight put on by antidepressants. Any tips to help this process along? Anyone had similar experience?

Replies

• justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Prozac and Celexa- however I think I ate better when I was on these because I stopped binging. However, after a few months I think felt like I didn't need them anymore and went off of them. I haven't been back on them since and I feel like I'm doing great. But I have heard that antidepressants can make it harder for people to lose weight- if it's possible and if your doctor agrees- you could try going off of them to see if that helps.

Antidepressants are kind of hard b/c you take them to make you feel better, but you don't feel better when you gain weight/can't lose weight. I think it just depends on each individual.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am on zoloft for anxiety & PTSD. The only time I had trouble losing weight while on zoloft was when I was eating too much and not exercising (as proven my mfp log). Once my eating & exercise were back in line, all has been fine. I don't know if it's because I don't take it for depression or if it's not a side effect or I'm just not affected by it. My lack of weight loss while on an antidepressant was 100% behavioral. Talk to your doctor. Maybe there's another med you could take or something else that can help.
  • tanpi
    tanpi Posts: 1
    Options
    SSRI's and SSNRI's (like zoloft, prozac, lexapro, pristique) dont usually cause weight gain or problems losing weight. The older Antipsychotic's, Mood Stabillisers, MAOI's and Tricyclic's are well known for weight problems.

HTH's
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants can cause weight gain, but this is usually due to an increased apatite. However, some depressants can actually cause weight loss by suppressing your apatite. I'm on Wellbutrin, and it's supposed to cause weight loss. The last twenty pounds are always the hardest to lose, so I would suggest upping your exercise and perhaps recalculating your TDEE and BMR for your new body weight.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants can cause weight gain, but this is usually due to an increased apatite. However, some depressants can actually cause weight loss by suppressing your apatite. I'm on Wellbutrin, and it's supposed to cause weight loss. The last twenty pounds are always the hardest to lose, so I would suggest upping your exercise and perhaps recalculating your TDEE and BMR for your new body weight.
    I agree with envy09's post Wellbutrin is known for causing weight loss. Cymbalta never caused weight gain for me either. Abilify which is a mood stabilizer I think contributed to my weight gain. Also prozac never caused me weight gain, just had to go off as I was on max dose and it stopped working for me. HTH. Good luck!
  • Willkathmum
    Willkathmum Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been taking mirtazapine (remeron) and was warned that a very common side effect was weight gain. I've never really had a problem with my weight before but I gained nearly a stone in about 6 months. I did try and lose weight but nothing happened so I gave up. I have now reduced my dose significantly and am sticking to the diet and exercise and the weight is coming off slowly. I think certain drugs make losing weight very difficult although not impossible. Keep going with the diet and exercise, but I think you need to be kind to yourself, you need to get yourself well as your first priority. Take care!
  • Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    I started taking prozac 2 weeks ago and craving carbs all the time im hoping
    this is just a side effect and will pass soon!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    it's really hard to say for someone who is on meds because they all effect us differently. One that typically makes most gain can make a small percentage lose. I think i'm one of the lucky ones and i have two that are supposed to support weight loss. Welbutrin and Topamax. Topamax is one of the ingredients in one of these new weight loss pills. i also take Lexapro. I have had a lot of success with appetite suppression. I think in your case you should, not focus so much on the amount you eat, but WHAT you eat. here's a great article for you. More food, less calories!

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/energy_density.html?mobile=false

good luck to you!!
  • The_EmilyB
    Options
    I know this topic has passed but I felt I had to post. YES antidepressants can make you gain weight, but it can happen even if you don't have an increased appetite - they play with your metabolism. It is very possible that you can gain weight without doing anything differently.

It really bothers me when people say you're gaining because you're eating more - that is not necessarily true. Yes some ADs increase appetite and give you cravings for carbs or sugar but also they can slow your system down.

For an easy to read article try this one: http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/antidepressants-weight-gain?page=1