Running for a month - no weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You have been running for a month?Arent your legs tired? How do you eat? Poop? Dont you sleep?

I reccomend at least one day off a week, consecutive 30 days of running is not wise and you are probably in starvation mode - thats why you cant lose
  • jennedwards2010
    jennedwards2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I re-started C25K after the first of the year. I'm tracking calories and using a HRM when I do anything aerobic (even bootcamp). I have NOT noticed much of a tip on the scales (about 5 lbs since January 1), but my clothes fit differently. You are probably building muscle, which is WAY more desirable than flab. Try not to care so much about the amount you weigh, but instead focus on how your body is changing & looking. Good luck!

P.S. I'm on Week 5...about to embark on my 20 minute jog in the morning. Where are you with the program?

Jennifer
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Running can help but adding a daily fitness routine (15-30 minutes) will add to it, the more you change the routine day to day will keep your body guessing and working harder.

Also it depends on your diet, if you are eating more fat than protein and carbs that would probably be working against you, you also need to consume at minimum 1g of protein for each lb of lean muscle mass you have but you certainly would need a lot more than that. Also eating more than your calories burned at rest (BMR) and less than TDEE will net you a calorie deficit that will actually work towards weight loss. As a side note, not all weight loss is on the scale so measuring your 'widths' (bust, waist, hips, upper arm, forearm, upper leg and lower leg) will also show you weight loss in inches. I stayed at 155 for 2 weeks but lost a good number of inches.

All the best on your journey and feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • t0yoda
    t0yoda Posts: 2
    Options
    If you're willing to try supplements, try a fat burner to boost your metabolism. My wife has been using LIPO-6 Black for women and I've been using Cellucor Super HD. Of course read the directions and avoid if you have high blood pressure. They definitely boost your metabolism and curb your appetite. She's lost about 40lbs and I have lost 20lbs in the past 3 months, but of course it's mostly water weight. It's a diuretic so you'll have to drink plenty of water...and no coffee.
    If you're lifting weights then you're building muscle and "muscle weighs more than fat". I was lifting weights and only lost 2 lbs the first month I wasn't using a fat burner pill. But I definitely lost fat since I went down a pants size or two. Like someone said earlier get a tape measure instead of using the scale.
  • How are your eating habbits? Although you are exercising and sweating, exercise can't make up for a poor diet.
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Wow! What a great number of replies and so much support! :) Thank you everyone!

My eating habits are pretty good (well, so I thought) and I have been tracking calories for a good while now too.
    I will try and cut out coffee, etc. and incorporate more water into my diet however instead - (thanks for all the tips on the water everyone).

I will also add a hill/incline into my runs. This seems like a very good idea and should definitely burn a few extra calories.
    Oh, and I will attempt to not look at the scales for a full month and keep at it and continue to count my calories.
    One thing I may be doing wrong is not getting enough protein into my diet. I'm not a vegetarian, however, I don't really enjoy eating too much meat so I tend not to get that much protein into my diet. Could this be an issue?

I may start on supplements next month, I would be quite open to trying these if they have worked for others - might need a good kickstart on the metabolism! :)
    Thank you again!
  • NTBlade
    NTBlade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same for me. Very frustrating!

Keep running! If you are a new runner here's a few other things to remember:

You'll build muscle, muscle is denser than fat so you're body shape might be slowly changing and you might not be noticing it.

Running or any other new exercise programme will make you hungry! Drink a pint of water after your run and shower before you eat. That way you'll give your stomach a little time to realise it's not empty anymore.

Have some good things to eat handy in case you fail the above. I'm terrible for snacking while I'm cooking after a run.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to replenish any energy after a run as you're not running for long enough to require anything other than a good diet. A really good thing is to have a glass of skimmed milk. Forget all that iso-balanced-nonsense.

The weight loss will eventually come if you stick to your running and watch what you eat.

Good luck, hope this helps,

NTB
    8o)
  • greyoutside
    Options
    You're probably drinking more water and your body is holding onto that water weight a bit! Take a break from weigh ins and take bi-weekly measurements / keep track of how your clothes fit. Eventually your body should adjust and the weight should drop off.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My eating habits are pretty good (well, so I thought) and I have been tracking calories for a good while now too.
    I will try and cut out coffee, etc. and incorporate more water into my diet however instead - (thanks for all the tips on the water everyone).

I will also add a hill/incline into my runs. This seems like a very good idea and should definitely burn a few extra calories.
    Oh, and I will attempt to not look at the scales for a full month and keep at it and continue to count my calories.
    One thing I may be doing wrong is not getting enough protein into my diet. I'm not a vegetarian, however, I don't really enjoy eating too much meat so I tend not to get that much protein into my diet. Could this be an issue?

I may start on supplements next month, I would be quite open to trying these if they have worked for others - might need a good kickstart on the metabolism! :)
    Thank you again!

Cardio doesn't require quite as much protein! Make sure you're getting enough carbs (primarily from fruits and veggies!) and try to eat things like eggs and nuts for a little extra protein.

There is also no reason to cut out things like coffee. My rule for myself is one glass of water for every glass of anything else that I drink. So I enjoy my morning tea/coffee and follow it with a glass of water. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I would caution against fat-burning supplements. At best, they are a waste of money. Don't start anything you don't want to continue for the rest of your life.

I find MFP sets protein intake goals really low. I have my macros ratio set to 40/30/30 (carbs/fat/protein), which gives me enough energy for distance running and enough protein to maintain my lean mass. I as well eat only fish and dairy, not out of ethics, just because the texture of meat skeeves me out. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, greek yogurt, canned tuna, eggs, and peanut butter. I also like mild white fish like tilapia. I buy that in bulk at costco.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    2 comments I have used through out my wt loss :

1} You eat to lose weight, you exercise for good health.

2} Wt loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I suggest logging your food, measure/weigh everything!!!!! {what looks like a decent portion and what actually is, can mean the difference of several hundred calories on a daily basis.} Eating healthy is great, but you can still be overeating.

If you don't use a heart rate monitor, be careful with eating exercise calories. I think a lot of online calorie charts overestimate actual burn.

Add some strength training into your program. It will help with wt loss. Lean body tissue {muscle} burns more calories at rest, than fat tissue.

Water is essential if you are running. In a dehydrated state , your metabolism does slow down, thus slowing any wt loss.

Good luck
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    Such great responses! :)

I do hope that you all are right and that it is the fact that I am a new runner and that my body is simply adjusting.
    I have noticed a small change in my legs toning up a little - (always a plus)!

Oh, I forgot to mention I will also try the stretching a lot more. One person posted that this helped them considerably! I think this is something I will try for sure!

Did many others first experience this problem though when they started running or am I in the small minority?
    How long did it take you before you started seeing changes?

Thanks for all your support guys!
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    2 comments I have used through out my wt loss :

1} You eat to lose weight, you exercise for good health.

2} Wt loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Water is essential if you are running. In a dehydrated state , your metabolism does slow down, thus slowing any wt loss.

Good luck

Love these pieces of info!
    Didn't know that about water before! Will make sure to get my 8 glasses in a day! Is this the amount you should be taking even on a run day? :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to drink more water on the days you run...add at least 2 cups to help rehydrate.

Add my vote for NO suppliments, they're really not necessary...

And yes, it's very common when someone starts a new workout routine that they'll retain water due to muscle damage. if you're sore, you're likely retaining water - it's just part of the healing process. The thing with the C25K program is that you're challenging yourself constantly so it wouldn't be unheard of for this kind of weight plateau to last this long.

Are you eating back the calories earned through exercise?
  • FindingTimeForMe
    FindingTimeForMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey, lots of good advise from everyone. Last night my trainer said "INTERVAL" training. Two minutes of normal speed than one minute of as hard as you can go - back and forth until you get your 30 minutes done. Someone posted -- keep giving your body something else to think about -- when you get up to thirty minutes and you feel good, then start doing 2 and 2 or reverse. Kind of like the hill recommendation - same principal. The interval training changes the heart rate (I am not an expert at this) from aerobic to anaerobic (sp?) -- maybe someone can chime in on the technical side of this. I understand one burns fat and one is cardio.

Anyway -- I have the same issue (I dont' see immediate changes on the scale) -- I bet a dollar though if you took your measurements a month ago and took them now you would be pleased (this of course if the diet this is good as you have indicated). Look at this loss as a great success.

Good luck and keep up the great work!! Just moving......you are better than most Americans. How sad is that????
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    Hey, lots of good advise from everyone. Last night my trainer said "INTERVAL" training. Two minutes of normal speed than one minute of as hard as you can go - back and forth until you get your 30 minutes done. Someone posted -- keep giving your body something else to think about -- when you get up to thirty minutes and you feel good, then start doing 2 and 2 or reverse. Kind of like the hill recommendation - same principal. The interval training changes the heart rate (I am not an expert at this) from aerobic to anaerobic (sp?) -- maybe someone can chime in on the technical side of this. I understand one burns fat and one is cardio.

Anyway -- I have the same issue (I dont' see immediate changes on the scale) -- I bet a dollar though if you took your measurements a month ago and took them now you would be pleased (this of course if the diet this is good as you have indicated). Look at this loss as a great success.

Good luck and keep up the great work!! Just moving......you are better than most Americans. How sad is that????

Will give the interval training a go!
    I think these pieces of advice seem to be great for anyone who may be in the same situation as me!
    Thanks all! :)

Your last point made me laugh! :) That's very funny! I'm Irish! We're meant to be in the fields cutting potatoes and the likes :P
    Thanks a mill everyone for all your suggestions! Keep them coming if you've more :) Very much appreciated!
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to drink more water on the days you run...add at least 2 cups to help rehydrate.
    I will definitely try this tip thank you!
    Are you eating back the calories earned through exercise?
    I am not eating any more calories than I had previously done (prior to my proper month's diet and exercise regime) and I am actually eating plenty more fruits and veggies and tracking my calories - they're usually around 1200 a day.
  • babystepsforward
    babystepsforward Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It would be more beneficial for you to look at inches i think. Chances are your getting fitter and BUILDING MUSCLE! the fact that you have not lost weight may be a good thing as it means you are putting on muscle and burning off fat. If you measure your waist, thighs etc.. you may find you ar eloosing inches and toning up but muscle is heavier than fat. You will be getting results from the running, don't worry what the numbers say !
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Thank you again!

I drink a ton of coffee... doesn't seem to be hurting my weight loss at all =)