Door # 1, 2, or 3?

Options
2»

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm doing TDEE-20%. I work at a healthcare research institute so as soon as I heard about it on MFP I scuttled off to the nerdery to read NIH studies. I'm comfortable with the science, and I love being able to eat and drink whatever I want as long as I log it. I'm losing slower, about half a pound per week, but I'm much happier. It's been lovely actually. :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    i think it is different for those with very high body fat. Below BMR is fine if your goal TDEE is below BMR. You are, after all, going to live healthily on that many calories for the rest of your life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    by eating too few cals.

Well you could always maintain what you are doing since it works and when it stops working, reevaluate what you are doing. 1700 calories is a good amount of calories but realize that if you are hungry on a particular day, 2000 calories will be cool too. It's OK to eat under your BMR, but occasionally, you want to eat over so your RMR doesn't adopt and start burning less calories.
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm new on here, can someone tell me what TDEE stands for?
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Option 1: TDEE -20%
    Option 2: MFP recommended goal to lose 2 lbs/week
    Option 3: TDEE for goal weight

What works best? I lost pretty quickly for the first month or so and now seem to have slowed way down. I know I am building some muscle from 30 Day Shred but I'm a little concerned about the scale. (Don't need any scale lecures. I understand all about fluxtuation and body composition.) I only eat back some of my exercise cals and actually am using MFP's recommendation for 1.5 lb loss/week. That puts me at 1680. I'm at 250 (give or take a few) now and my goal is 150-160. Should I just wait a couple weeks and see what happens or what?

I was losing very quickly until I started the Shred too... That program really builds the muscle quick so the scal doesn't show much movement. If you are gonig to keep the program, kick the scale to the curb and pick up the tape measure... the tape measure will show results more quickly than the scale in this case :)

I agree - kick the scale and go by measurements - it's what i've been doing and after 1 week i had lost 2lbs but had lost 3 inches off my waist and one on each of my arms - which to you is more encouraging? It's sooo hard not to look at the scale trust me I do it too I wish I could just break mine and be done with it LOL
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm new on here, can someone tell me what TDEE stands for?

Total Daily Energy Expended. Essentially, it's the total number of calories you burn throughout a day to include metabolic rate, job/lifestyle and exercise and if you are breast feeding, those calories too.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    FYI - you mention you have been more depressed and anxious - I understand this could be a sign you are not eating enough (or netting enough). And depression.anxiety could lead to binging.

Why not try to ups cals just a little and see what happens - somewhere between the MFP number and TDEE - 20 %

(I started at the 1200, got stabby, tired and hungry very quickly and slowly upped cals till I was losing netting around 1700...)
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 1500, which is where heybales' formula has me. I try to eat between MFP's suggested 1200 and HB's 1500.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    only want (ed) to lose 23 lbs so I have been using option #3 and eating at TDEE, sedentary for my goal weight. I eat back exercise calories. Currently stalled (or maintaining?) at 132 lbs
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh......thought we were playing Mystery Date. :(
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh......thought we were playing Mystery Date. :(

LOL Thanks for making my day! =)