Planet Fitness

Options
Anyone here a member of Planet Fitness and want to share their experiences there? I'm thinking of joining now that my community center membership is over, and I wanted to get some first hand accounts!

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am not a member, so I cannot be certain, but what I heard was that it was a decent gym is all you really need is to use equipment. If you are looking for a gym that offers classes like Zumba, Body Attack, Spin, etc and/or looking to work with a personal trainer, you may need to look elsewhere.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't use it because I need child care, but my sister is a member and really likes it there. She's happy with the quality and variety of weight and cardio equipment and you can't beat the price.
  • sipe1980
    sipe1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its a joke...any gym that I have to temper how hard I work out so I don't intimidate anyone is a joke. Also, the one I attended had "free pizza monday" and also has a bowl of Tootsie rolls at the front desk. However, if you are looking to use a treadmill/ellipitcal it is cheap.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a member and I really like it. There is a lot of cardio equipment, I never have to wait for it. They have a special room for abs and streching and a 12 minute ab circuit room and a 30 minute full body circuit room. They also have free weights and smith machines. Im a big fan of it because I lift weights and do cardio. But if you want a class of some sort (yoga, spinning, zumba etc) you wont find it there! The people are nice that work there and they are very helpful. And its nice to not have a bunch of super fit/lunks walking around. Its everyday people in sweats just wanting to work out.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hate the free pizza and the free bagels they give out. Stupid. Why would I want to work out and then on the way out grab pizza? May as well go home and sit on the couch. However the tootsie rolls have helped me a couple of times when my sugar suddenly dropped and i needed sugar quick!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I lived in an area that had one, I loved it. The price is right and a very friendly atmosphere if you're just looking for basic machines and weights. If you want classes or personal training, or are extremely intense (like frighten-off-people intense), keep looking. It definitely is more oriented towards the casual person and newbies
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    it's a decent gym and is very convenient. all of the gyms are not created equal so check out the one you want to join to make sure it's to your liking. the one near my house has crappy treadmills and is smaller than the one in the city and near my job.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hate the free pizza and the free bagels they give out. Stupid. Why would I want to work out and then on the way out grab pizza? May as well go home and sit on the couch. However the tootsie rolls have helped me a couple of times when my sugar suddenly dropped and i needed sugar quick!
    WTF? Most people work out so they CAN have pizza! Calorie deficit does not discriminate about what you put in your mouth.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the bagels and the pizza, don't go during those times. It's pretty simple.

Planet Fitness is a really good beginners gym. There are classes at the ones in my city, but they're to teach equipment use. One thing that I noticed is that it's really clean and that people of all sizes and fitness levels were there. There were guys and girls using the free weights, treadmills, the stretching area. It was really nice not to feel like I was being gawked at because of my size.

What I don't like is that it says it's a 24 hour gym and it definitely isn't here.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did a free week trial there (the one in Belmont) all they really had was Nautilus equipment and lots of cardio gear. I wasn't impressed.
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I joined in Nov, 2012 because we couldn't walk outside and my knees were stiffening up without exercise. Have worked my way up to 5 times a week and really like it. Its a very comfortable environment with all shapes and sizes and nobody cares what you look like. The staff are friendly and smile when they answer questions. The trainer gave me a list of exercises I can do at home to strengthen my core and leg muscles to reduce my arthritis pain ( and its working). When I'm ready he will give me a routine on the gym machines. I've joined other gyms and was self conscious to work out there but not here. Cant't beat the price, either. Try it and if you don't like it you can drop out without any finantial loss.
  • aaearon
    aaearon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its 10 dollars a month so you get what you pay for. They advertise it as a "judgement-free zone" but will then poke fun at the gallon jug carrying, weight dropping, lifters who grunt and stare at themselves in the mirror. At the Planet Fitness I attend there is even an alarm that goes off when someone drops their weight. I assume this is something the front desk people have to push as sometimes it happens but mostly does not. It seems to work in regards to there not being many people who act like "lunks".

The one I attend gets packed and is really packed now that it is the beginning of the year. Before the new year, when I'd go run for 30 minutes, I'd see at least one person sign up for a membership while there. After the new year I've stopped counting. This might just be the PF I go to but for 10 dollars a month I'm sure they are all like this. When I joined last year it was in June so I'm not sure if the "resolutioners" will thin out.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    My one here is pretty good. There are always plenty of machines (weight and cardio) free, as well as free weights and the lifting racks (Smith racks?). Of course, I go at 5:30am so I never have to wait for anything. You can also sit down with a trainer and set up a plan for whatever your goals are.

I have yet to see free food, except peppermints, but maybe that's the time of day I'm there. One thing I love is that I don't get lots of unnecessary chit-chat from anyone. The staff her is very pleasant, and always says good morning, and other patrons will say good morning if our paths cross, but otherwise I'm left in peace (which is what I want).
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really like the one I go to. I am a black card member so you also get free tanning and can bring a guest with you anytime for free, half price cooler drinks and some other perks. You can go in and ask for a tour first before you decide to sign up as well. The staff is friendly and they keep the place clean. There are people of all fitness levels, shapes, sizes, and ages there too which is nice.
  • alease27
    alease27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been a member since 2008 for the price you can't beat it. What I like most are the free personal traning groups. I work with the trainer on Monday and Friday mornings and I absolutely love it. On Monday it is just me and my friend, and on Friday there are now four of us. Most people don't take advantage of the training classes and they have a maximum of five people, first come first served.
    Check with your local gym but at mine if no one has signed up for a scheduled class, my trainer will work with you on what ever you want. So I have my own schedule of chest/back/shoulders on Mondays and abs/legs/glute on Fridays. Not all of the trainers are created equal of course, but the two I've worked with (in Batlimore, and in Delaware) have been rock stars, both are into body building so you get way more than your $10 worth! The pizza Monday and bagel Tuesday days don't bother me, I enjoy my free cup of Panera coffee :-)
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    They kicked me out of Planet Fitness because I lift weights and they don't like that style of training. LAME!