ow! ow! ow!

Options
i started seeing a personal trainer on wednesday and today i am so sore, i could cry. i'm not sure whether i love him or hate him. lol. what do you do to help with sore muscles?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Douse myself with ActivOn, Blue Goo, and/or Icy Hot, as well as smokin' hot shower with a shower soother.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Stretch, as much as you can to work out that lactic acid.
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    Workout again. I always find working out, even if it is light, helps with sore muscles. Oh, and lots of water. Feel better!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes...stretch and drink! Get the lactic acid moving and flushed out....
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's a common thought that lactic acid causes DOMS but it's not true.

"The precise cause is unknown. Delayed onset muscle soreness is commonly thought to be caused by increased lactate concentrations but it has been shown that elevated levels of lactic acid rarely persist after an hour of rest.[1]

Although the precise cause is still unknown, the type of muscle contraction seems to be a key factor in the development of delayed onset muscle soreness. A recently developed theory states that delayed onset muscle soreness is caused by the breakdown of muscular fibres. This is particularly apparent in strength/resistance programs. The breakdown occurs due to stress, and allows the muscles to grow stronger and larger, as shown through hypertrophy."
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree with working out. I had super sore inner thigh muscles on Monday morning and the best thing that helped me for the next two days was ding my regular workouts. The elliptical really helped. Sometimes the best thing is to just keep with your exercise and use icy hot or a hot shower or something.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Walking definitely helps. I usually do the elliptical the day after a really strenuous work out (not because of that, but just because that's how my schedule falls) and I always feel better afterwards. Also...massaging. :happy:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Do some cardio and a nice stretch.
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    I understand your pain... I've found that working out the next day helps to sooth the soreness. Soaking in a hot bath is nice too, but doesn't work near as well.
    Although to be truthful, my body has been one big unit of pain since I have began this journey, but I'm learning to love it :)
  • iamamamatologan
    Options
    I might be the odd one out here but I would try to work out again. I've been so sore that I couldn't sit on the couch without pain but doing another work out eased the pain.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    walking, working out light, TONS AND TONS of water, strech!!!!!! strech alot!!!!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    working out again, swimming, hot shower.... and not giving into the soreness. You have to keep your muscles moving.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Bathe with epsom salts