The cost of Healthy Food vs. Junk Food

Options
In a perfect world, a shopping trip would consist of a woman breezing throuh the grocery store adding fruits, veggies, and organic stuff into her cart. Reality is a woman adding snack cakes, white bread, canned fruits, etc., etc. into her cart. because that it all she can afford. In order to eat healthy, you really have to starve to death because the prices make it impossible to purchase more of what you need. I have a family of 5, and it is so much cheaper to buy the bad stuff. They should lower the prices of healthy foods and increase the price of junk food so that it would help us all out.

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    AMEN! D: Fruits and veggies are ridiculous! :O
  • kerryjo80
    Options
    I completely agree! They want to show all this concern for the problem of obesity in the US, but the prices are a big part of the problem! If they made "junk food" more expensive, then we would be more likely to eat better! I only have a house of 2 (me and my daughter) and we are both eating better mainly for my daughters health and it is so expensive. I try to make things healthy go a longer way but adding "fillers" to things...for example, rice or adding more veggies to dishes and making left overs. It is truly a challenge!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    When things were tight, the following were my staples:

Whole oats - bulk
    Dried beans- bulk
    Brown rice - bulk
    Frozen veggies
    Fresh apples
    Fresh bananas
    Eggs
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    There are ways around it. Just like the battle of the waist line, there's a battle for the price. Buy in season, use coupons, and take advantage of weekly special offers. It can end up being less because you end up fuller faster on higher fiber foods. Google how to save money on healthy foods and that should help. :)

PS: Recent reports show that organic is not really much different than inorganic. People believe what they want to believe, but, long term, you probably don't need to worry which way you go. Save the money, I say.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, a shopping trip would consist of a woman breezing throuh the grocery store adding fruits, veggies, and organic stuff into her cart. Reality is a woman adding snack cakes, white bread, canned fruits, etc., etc. into her cart. because that it all she can afford. In order to eat healthy, you really have to starve to death because the prices make it impossible to purchase more of what you need. I have a family of 5, and it is so much cheaper to buy the bad stuff. They should lower the prices of healthy foods and increase the price of junk food so that it would help us all out.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. While there are some items that are undoubtedly more expensive - whole grain bread versus store-brand white bread for example - for the most part I find loading my cart with unprocessed fruit, veg and meat to be comparably priced with, or cheaper than, loading it with processed convenience foods.

The trick is actually eating it when you get it home, and not deciding that it's too much work and ordering in pizza instead. That's what makes healthy grocery shopping expensive - waste.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you considered starting a garden? I know some people do that where they supplement the expensive stuff they need for their families in the garden. Plus, it burns calories and can be a family activity!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where you live but in Canada, eating healthy is cheaper.
  • 28DebRena
    Options
    They should charge less for fruits and veggies, seeing as how they rot if not eaten within a timely manner. Brownies and stuff like that will keep for a long time and only cost like $2. Insanity.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree, too. I've had this discussion on these boards too many times, though - so I'm not going to get into a bunch of detail, but I've priced out a month's meals and find it to be about $2-3 per meal. You don't have to buy organic.

Factor in the cost of health care when you don't get sufficient nutrients, and it's even more important.
  • dee__s
    dee__s Posts: 30
    Options
    Thats completely untrue. Healthy food is cheaper. I dont know where this myth comes from and thats what it is.. a myth. Veggies are cheap so unless you are buying a fancy steak they will stay cheap. However, junk food tastes better.. I agree with that... but don't try to tell me its cheaper. Mcdonalds especialy is extremely expensive, where did they come up with this "cheap" idea
  • 28DebRena
    Options
    I live in the US and junk food is wayyyy cheaper.
  • 28DebRena
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I have grown a garden before. It does bring pleasure to eat what you helped grow. :)
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where you live but in Canada, eating healthy is cheaper.

No... It's not.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is always silly to me.

Yes, 5 pounds of fresh chicken can cost $15-20 compared to a box dinner that cost $4, but the chicken can make 7 different meals for the whole week.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There is some healthy foods that you can get relatively cheap :

Oats ( I don't mean instant flavored oatmeal)
    Legumes ( lentils, beans..) when purchased dried are really cheap
    ect.

but I agree that buying a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, meats is very expensive.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Talk to your congressfolks and senators. It's that way because of the farm bill.

My neighbors make more money on subsidies to grow corn and soy than they make selling the corn and soy they grow. Then, the transportation of said commodities to the CAFOs and food labs is also subsidized. Then the CAFOs and production of highly processed foods is subsidized.

Meanwhile, I grow my little 2 1/2 acres of veggies, and 10 of fruits, and receive nothing in the way of subsidies, but have to pay higher property taxes because the fruit trees and whatnot are "improvements."

The junk is not actually less expensive. It takes more energy (particularly fossil fuel energy) to produce the commodity crops that go in to the processed foods than it does to produce real food. Then it takes more energy and people to move it around, and to process it into the chemical ingredients for the processed food, then still more put them together into your pop tart or soda or wonder bread, then still more to package it, and still more to transport it a second (or more) time. The difference, however, is that everyone is paying the lion's share of the cost of those foods, whether they buy them or not, through taxes. When you buy a head of broccoli or a carrot, for the most part you're actually paying something close to what it cost to produce that, because the production and transportation of those items is almost completely unsubsidized.

Sad thing is, while you're paying more for the unprocessed food, the people growing it are getting paid less. Even more sad thing is that even when you stop buying the processed food, you're still paying for it. That's how you get Michael Pollan giving presentations where he tries to see how many calories you can buy for $1 (at the presentation I saw, it was 90 calories of broccoli for $1, or 1200 calories of cookies).

Our food industry is actually designed to make people unhealthy (it's designed to essentially addict people to "bad" foods, and making them eat far more calories with far less nutritional benefit than is healthy), and our government's policies are designed to support that industry. Your taxes at work.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, I live in Canada and find the farmers market inexpensive also the reduced produce at the grocery store. I also look through the store flyers for discounts. Another good option is frozen vegs, and frozen chicken breasts.

Honestly since really tracking my food and planning I find I am spending a little less than before. I've also cut out all takeout and restaurant food.

Good Luck with the journey
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. While there are some items that are undoubtedly more expensive - whole grain bread versus store-brand white bread for example - for the most part I find loading my cart with unprocessed fruit, veg and meat to be comparably priced with, or cheaper than, loading it with processed convenience foods.

The trick is actually eating it when you get it home, and not deciding that it's too much work and ordering in pizza instead. That's what makes healthy grocery shopping expensive - waste.

Although in UK & not US I agree, buying fresh fruit,veg & non processed foods is relatively easy, may take a bit more time and thought than just bunging it in the shopping trolley, but that is life
  • 28DebRena
    Options
    Loving the positive feedback and wonderful ideas.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and junk food is wayyyy cheaper.

Agreed, and anyone who says different is lying through their damn teeth. I think some junk food (namely chips, cereals, and convenience meals) are more expensive, but the majority of it is ridiculously cheaper than fresh veggies and fruits and meats.

I'm sorry, but no one wants to eat dry beans and lentils everyday! Shut up about the damn lentils. (I'm assuming that it's already been mentioned or will be mentioned in the next few minutes, because it ALWAYS is.)