went up on my calories

Options
I just changed calories from 1600 to 1937 because of my TDEE (2421, Scoobys)
So to lose weight (20% less calories) I changed it to 1937.
Do you think I will actually start losing weight. I keep getting on the scale (big mistake) and it has actually gone up.
I figured I'd try upping my cals.....any input on this?

And I was thinking about getting a fitbit, anyone have one and recommend it?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i would put the scale away for at least a month, if not 6 weeks..even though you didnt up them toooo drastically (like from 1200 to 1900) it might still show as a gain on the scale even though its just your body adjusting. after that you can weigh in and see if its working for you. if not, drop it by 100-200 and give it another month or so.

i dont have a fitbit, but i do have a BodyMedia Fit.. i love it even though ive only had it for a week.
  • patrox247
    Options
    Any time I have upped my calories my body has kind of freaked out a little and held on to water weight. This comes right back off once my body realizes that a few extra calories is not the end of the world. For the sake of my own sanity I try to stay off the scale for at least a week or more if I do any calorie increasing or routine tweeking.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away for a month. Your body needs time to adjust. After a month re evaluate. If youre really eating under TDEE and your TDEE is measured correctly you won't gain weight.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I went up on calories today, too, from 1200 (which was getting me nowhere for 5 weeks) to 1320. According to calculations, BMR is around 1500, so I have another increase in my future, but I want to take it slow.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yup gotta give it time. If the scale is going to freak you out in the meantime put it away. Make sure you're weighing everything and logging accurately, and then just trust that you won't gain fat eating less than your TDEE.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I agree, put the scale away for six weeks.

Your body will probably gain a little weight as you re-settle into a caloric "bracket," so to speak, so if it would rattle you to see the scale go up when you're doing everything right, just don't get on the scale till it readjusts down, which should be within 6 weeks.

The one thing to be careful of is your exercise calories. If you are going to be logging exercise into MFP, make sure that you calculated your TDEE using sedentary/lightly active as your activity setting, or you will be eating too many calories, as TDEE takes exercise into account otherwise.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've read the best way to measure weight loss when you are eating TDEE is to do actual measurements. Some say you will see it there first since you won't be losing a lot of muscle mass.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Just upped my calories again to match my TDEE. Put the scale away for a while because of water weight and such. If you need motivation, just add me! Good luck :drinker:
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My thing is, I've been eating 1600 and not losing. I thought I lost 5 lbs then got on the scale and it went up....
    I have to put that damn scale away!!
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We're in a similar situation; I upped mine about 3 weeks ago. I'm not seeing a lot of change on the scale, but my clothes are fitting differently.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I upped my calories I gained a pound or two. I am starting to lose again as my body adjusts. Don't worry, it freaked me out at first too, until I read on the forums that others have had the same thing happen and not to worry about it.
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    well I have been doing everything right....eating right and exercising.
    I am going to see a dietician friday too, so I will be talking with her too
    Thanks...
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    went up to 1400 my first day today
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit link armband.

I use it to make sure I get to my target activity level.

For me, the daily calories used turned out to be really close to what the TDEE calculators gave me.

I upped from eating just under my sededentary BMR and not eating exercise calories back (and not losing weight) to ~130 calories over, will up another 150 calories on Friday to get to the TDEE-20 based on activity level. I've had results in just a handful of days since upping above BMR. (I had been fluctuating the same 2 pounds up and down for 6 weeks, since upping I am now 2.4 pounds below my 'down' weight. Probably water weight.)
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just upped mine too! From 1270 to 1750..I'm curious about the scale but only weigh once a week.I also measure every other week.I've gained 2lbs a week since I started 30 Day Shred..I know I'm losing inches but come on lol

I have a fitbit one..I LOVE it.I've had it for six months or a little longer.It's always in my pocket or strapped to my bra.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Always give a new plan 6 weeks and then assess if it's started working. Any less time and you won't have a true reflection on if it's working or not.

I've had a fitbit and a body media fit. I much prefer the body media personally. Fitbits were very temperamental and also underestimated my calorie burn a lot. For others I know the calorie burn has been accurate but it wasn't for me. Was coming out much lower.

I managed to drown 3 or 4 with sweat and rain. I know the one is sweat resistant and their is a new arm band coming out from Fitbits soon that is waterproof so if Fitbit is the way you want to go I'd consider waiting for the waterproof wristband.

Zara x
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I just went up on my cals also. From 1500 to 1783. I feel soooo full all the time! But I haven't lost in so long I need to try something. I'm pretty sure I calculated my TDEE correctly. 2229. I haven't got on the scale yet. I'm kinda chicken to get on. So we'll see what happens. Good luck to you!
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    thanks everyone, i appreciate the comments:heart:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I went up from 1400-1700. My trainer weighs me every week and I'm 2 pounds up in 2 weeks..just praying it all evens out soon. Best of luck!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    well I have been doing everything right....eating right and exercising.
    I am going to see a dietician friday too, so I will be talking with her too
    Thanks...
    I glanced over the last few days of your diary and it seems like you're eating too many carbs and not enough fats and proteins. Ideally, you should be eating at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass and at least .35g of fats per pound of body weight. Carbs are unnecessary so they can either fill your remaining calories or you can go over on protein and fats.

Here's a great link that explains this in more detail

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

After increasing your calorie intake, wait about 4-6 weeks before expecting weight loss. If you gain, it most likely water weight.