Heavy Breathing.

Options
A huge insecurity of mine is breathing heavy while working out in front of people. That is a huge reason why I stopped working out at the gym. I felt like if people saw me breathing really heavy, they would just stereotype me as some fat girl who is completely out of shape. I'm also insecure about that while I'm jogging, which is what I will be doing today. I hate just locking myself inside to run on the treadmill when it is a beautiful day outside. Does anyone else deal with this insecurity?

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Breathing heavy is a sign you're doing it right. If my breathing doesn't get a little labored, I don't count it as exercise, it's just "fun".

If you sound like you're in medical distress, though, the looks you'd be getting would be of concern for your safety, not stereotyping.

Besides, only losers stereotype ;)
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Most people have head phones on... just pant away!! and even the fittest of people pant! Go go go! :bigsmile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I breath heavy, I pant, I take deep breaths and exhale sharply because I am working hard and if I don't breathe, well I'll die! LOL.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're exerting yourself you're supposed to breathe hard!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I put headphones in so I can't hear myself breathing heavy :laugh: Problem solved.
  • WhitR86
    WhitR86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! Like the above post said, if you are breathing heavy you are working hard and doing it right. I sweat and cough and get red in the face like a demon when I work out at the gym. And I like it! Cuz I'm pushing MYSELF, regardless of how much effort that takes compared to the people around me.
    Hi suggest headphones and some music (avenged sevenfold or breaking benjamin?) to help you not concentrate on your breathing so much and also to help drown out your self conscious. :)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    A huge insecurity of mine is breathing heavy while working out in front of people. That is a huge reason why I stopped working out at the gym. I felt like if people saw me breathing really heavy, they would just stereotype me as some fat girl who is completely out of shape. I'm also insecure about that while I'm jogging, which is what I will be doing today. I hate just locking myself inside to run on the treadmill when it is a beautiful day outside. Does anyone else deal with this insecurity?

What would you rather be? The "fat" kid trying to get in shape? Or the fat kid sitting on the couch getting fatter?

Who cares what other people think - everyone has to start somewhere. You'd be surprised the respect people have for others just trying to better themselves
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I felt the same way - AND I turn red when I exercise so it looks like I'm about to die.

I started purposefully breathing with a shhhhosh of an exhale. I pretend it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.