Feeling like I can't be "proud"

Options
I have found there isn't much that kills my motivation more than trying to be proud of what I have accomplished or posting anything about it anywhere.

I admit, my story isn't as exciting as someone that has lots 100 pounds and I was a perfectly fine weight when I started....but nothing gets to me more than "I would kill to have your before body"...

I think it is supposed to be a compliment but the reality is it negates all the work I have put into my "after" body. I feel like I am not allowed to talk about or be proud of the work I have done and what I have accomplished....not the least of which was finally adding exercise to my life so I could improve my HEALTH not my weight (which hasn't changed at all in the last 6 months or so despite the improvement in my tone).

It is just frustrating and I needed somewhere to vent.

/sigh/

Replies

• lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Well, I looked at your pictures and I think you have done fabulously!!
    Add me if you want and you can post proud of yourself things on my page and I will BACK YOU UP.
    Seriously, you are so much leaner! WTG!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ummm...you are losing weight while mothering two children. You win.
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated!! I'd kill for both your before and after body! You can always be proud of all the hard work and dedication you have!
  • kconway1017
    kconway1017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DON'T LET THEM STEAL YOUR THUNDER!!! Keep on keeping on, and allow yourself the happiness and joy of being proud of your accomplishments! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You should feel proud you are on a different level its not about reducing body fat now its about building strength. I'm on the bigger end but I can see why you would want the kudos for the hard work. Keep it up!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Do you need that validation from other people or can you be quietly proud all on your own? No one knows what it took to get from before to after better than you, so don't let somebody else dictate what you should or should not be proud of.
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You should definitely feel proud. An accomplishment is an accomplishment, no matter where you started. So yey for you!! :)

I find I've only made comments like that when my tiny friends and co-workers complain about being "sooo fat and it's sooo disgusting to be a [size]" in front of me. Because I'm overweight, to me, it's basically the same as calling me disgusting to my face, and that's just insensitive.
  • Skellingtonx
    Skellingtonx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Any fitness goal in my opinion is a huge accomplishment. Youre bettering yourself. Whether its 5pounds to lose or 100, hell even if you need to gain it. Be proud of what you're doing an share it. Should always be proud about yourself
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think people should get HUGE credit for trying to improve their health or lose weight BEFORE the issue gets completely out of hand. We have all heard that the last ten pounds can be the hardest to lose. If it's also the first ten pounds you need to lose, so what? We give people so much credit for losing large amounts of weight, but very little to people who make the tough choices everyday so they never get in that position.

Many of my friends would love to be down to what was my highest weight. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't feel proud that I made the decision to get healthy at that point. It would be much easier to go on gaining 5 pounds a year until I was 40 or 50 pounds over my goal, but 25 pounds set off the alarm in my head. People tell me all the time that I don't need to lose another pound. Those people are just trying to justify their choices. They don't really care what's truly best for me. I take it as a compliment and then let them know I'm still working on my goals.

Arny
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When you post your story you invite people to judge you. Let's face it, when we post a success story it is because we want the kudos. Some people are jerk-bags and will try to pee in your Cheerios.

In a perfect world people would be supportive no matter how much we lose. Sadly, we live in a world where anyone can get on the interwebs and act like a jack-*kitten*.

Haters gonna hate.
    haters_fb62b5_2448292.gif
  • Chordata25
    Chordata25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should be super proud! You got really toned and look amazing! Forget those people who don't support you because you didn't lose much weight. They are just jealous!
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It is nice to know there are at least a few people out there that "get" it.

I was NOT a fan of exercising, at all. I finally have gotten to where I enjoy it and where I actually see some results from it. It makes me happy and I want to talk about it but instead I get negative feedback.