How to beat the cravings?!?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will eat a piece of fruit or a fresh vegetable to delay the craving, and then make a deal with myself to decide whether to eat the food I'm craving after waiting an hour for it to digest.
  • FabFran33
    Options
    I try not to deprive myself of anything. If I have a craving, I check the calories, if it fits, I eat. If not, then I find its healthier counterpart. OR, if the craving is 300 calories or less, I just jump on my rebounder while watching tv and earn those calories back, lol.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. DON'T cut out anything from your diet. If you do, you'll only crave and drive yourself insane. This is a lifestyle change; not a diet. Everything in moderation!
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    If I eat one bite of ice cream, that usually turns into the whole container. I have two ways to help with that. First, I don't keep in in my freezer, and when I do have a craving for it, I eat a whole vegetable (like a pepper or carrot), and then get one of those tiny containers from the grocery store. They're one serving each, so about half a cup, so the give me enough to be happy, but it's not a whole pint.

The other strategy, which is better (in my opinion), is that I always have frozen berries in my freezer, and I always have yogurt in the fridge. When I need ice cream and need it NOW (as in can't wait to go to the store), I'll start with about half a cup of yogurt, half a cup of berries (or other fruit, I just like berries best), toss it in the blender, add a little milk until it's the consistency I want. If it's plain yogurt, I do add a 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, so it feels like dessert.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I believe the longer you stay regimented, the cravings lessen and in some cases, completely subside. Two weeks is probably not long enough of a change to make a difference in the ways you're used to eating yet. It takes time but I've heard that four of five days without sugar and you lose the intense need for it.
  • sparky916
    sparky916 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, just a little bit of advice, eat pickles they cut the craving for sweets, think about your goal and your cloths you want to fit into!!! That helps me, if you have to have ice cream have weight watchers ice cream or sugar free fat free. Good luck stay strong we are all in the same fight.
  • dontquit82
    Options
    The only things that works for me as far as cravings - I eat about every 3 hours. As long as I dont stray from this...I don't seem to have a problem. Usually, if I start to get a craving...I'm 30 minutes or so away from my next meal. I MAKE myself eat the meal I had planned. Normally within 2 or 3 bites the craving is gone.
    Good luck! It's not easy getting past cravings - I know!! (Says the girl who quit smoking 1 year ago tomorrow)
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I confess to being a sugar addict. I started doing low carb (60g, then 50g, now more like 40g) I am free from cravings and feel great. I think I can do this or some modified version of this for the rest of my life. Soon I will be below 200 pounds for the first time in more than 20 years.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Those asking 'why is ice cream bad', or eat what you want just stay in your calories or macros, please understand that does not work for everyone. For those of us who are excessively overweight, most of us have other metabolic issues that our out of control eating/ lack of exercise lifestyle has caused.

It is a 'calories in vs. calories out' game, but MANY of us have to get a handle on the psychological side of our 'eating disorder'. Not meaning a clinical disorder such as bulimia or anorexia, but the disorder of constant, life-long overeating, or over indulging.

@ OP -
    For me, now after losing a lot of weight, I can have a serving of ice cream. Earlier in my transition, it just wasn't possible, because I couldn't control it to a serving. It was easier and better for me to stay away from it completely. However, I didn't look at it as I can't have it. I could, I chose not to. I also never told myself I can never eat that again, just not right now.

It is definitely a choice - and a hard one - to say 'No, I am not going to have that.' Or, I don't really want to go to the gym, but I am going to anyway.

There is a lot of power in chosing 'no', and pushing through.

Working out seemed to curb my cravings for the 'junk food' type things. I would also drink a cup of water or tea. Try some lemon in it, and get involved in doing something to occupy your mind and get it off of whatever treat you are trying to not consume at that moment. I made sure I kept handy healthy snacks that are tasty.
    Keep telling yourself -- 'I am worth this little discomfort.' In time it gets easier.

Good Luck!!
  • Em6212
    Em6212 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When helps me the most is to get busy with a project that engages my hands and my mind - anything. Not too long ago, I ironed everything that needed to be ironed. Sometimes I string beads/necklaces. Or get outside with the dog. Or pull weeds.

I've learned that if I get busy, cravings don't last very long. I was surprised by that. I always thought they'd get worse and WOrse and WORSE, but that hasn't been the case.

Good luck! Changing bad habits is HARD WORK. So is being obese. Choose your hard.

That is very good advice. I was wanting to find a new hobby and maybe this will be a push to do just that :)
  • Em6212
    Em6212 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you restrict too much, yeah, they weight may come off faster, but it is at a very high price. If you are having a lot of problem with cravings and even bingeing, I'd look at adding some calories back into your diet, especially if you are trying to stick to 1200 calories or so.

My goal is set at 2000 calories a day and my doctor said to stay around 100g carbs. I've been meeting those goals easily and I usually don't feel hungry. I snack throughout the day, have a larger breakfast, and try to incorporate fruits and vegetables as much as possible (I'm trying to incorporate slowly so that it isn't such a shock as I believe this is why i've always failed at the fad diets before- they were just too restrictive). I gone over on calories and carbs a few times, but usually I am under my goal on both and feel fine. But it just hit me that last night- for the first time since I started dieting- I had a dinner with a lot of carbs and very little protein/fat. Is it possible that the high amount of processed sugars caused my cravings? LIke I was just craving some chocolate again, had a small spoonful of the ice cream I have left over, and am completely satisfied. But my breakfast had much more protein and fat and fewer carbs than last night. I think I just had an eureka moment :)
  • bertypainter
    Options
    ok you must try and satisfy the cravings in a healthy way ,denying everything is a recipe for failure. First ice cream, you can buy a large bag of frozen fruit, add it to the blender with juice of your choice and artificial sweetener, you can add yogurt if you want, this makes a wonderful creamy frozen concoction that is much like ice cream, really yummy i think.
    french fries, peel and cut a medium potatoe into french frie , then toss in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and dry parmesan cheese, bake on single layer until done and crispy, these are very good.
    baked potatoe topped with cottage cheese and a little butter is also good.
    I have to have some sweets or i fail totally. I have a werthers sugar free camarel, or 16 animal crackers. just about once a day.
    I make my own fruit salad and keep it in the fridge all the time, i start with light fruit cocktail and then add whatever i have to it, now mine has,bananas, apples and raisins added to it. I have some 1/2 cup bowls and i have the fruit salad a half cup at a time.
    These all fit into my daily calories, i count everything, and i am losing weight steadily. good luck to you and hope these ideas help you.
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, drink plenty of water and if the cravings get bad, brush your teeth, sounds daft but it does help. Oh and keep busy so that food isn't all you think about. Good luck, it does get easier, promise!
  • tsellar29
    tsellar29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just recently started my weight loss journey. I'm in my 2nd week. and the same thing that always happens is happening again. The first week is actually quite easy. I'm motivated, dedicated, and religious about what I eat. Then the 2nd week the cravings start setting in. These are cravings that are so bad its all I can think about and my body sometimes even hurts until I get "my fix" of very bad things like ice cream, french fries, etc. Last night I had such a bad craving that I went to Wal-Mart at 1am just to but ice cream! I'm looking for advice on how to help control/curb these cravings. I plan on living a healthier lifestyle from now on and with over 200 pounds to loose I'll be on this journey for a very long time. I know I won't succeed, though, if I can't control my cravings. I try to have things in moderation- like a small piece of candy here or there and count it in my calories for the day- but when these intense cravings hit one piece doesn't help and before I know it i've eaten almost a gallon of ice cream. I'm looking for some support/guidance/suggestions from people who have experienced the same problems. Please!
    I find cravings really really tough too...I am terrible at using moderation...but try that when you think you are able to with downing a whole tub of icecream... I say you are bound to fail as soon as you start thinking you can't have something..it's a mental SHIFT and it's a necessary one.. I'm no mastere of it YET, but I'm finally after years kinda getting it,.. I have been able to easily eat all my healthy meals on 1420 call a day and still have "room" for goodies I want so BAD - I have Perrier cause I need bubbles, to resemble coke and I have dark chocolate bars stashed because, frankly I not like it that much, but if I am desperate enough for chocolate I go for one!