Weighing meat before or after??

Options
Ok guys, I have a question about weighing raw meat, do you do it before or after you cook you meat? I made a really great recipe the other day with chicken, I put 4 breast in the pan that were over 3 pounds uncooked. I figured that I could cut them up to make the 6 portions that I needed to arrive at per the recipe. When they were fully cooked I ended up barely having 6 oz of chicken for 5 people and minus one portion. My calories didn't add up as I was unsure how to re-calculate the calorie count. I want to make and do this right, but how do I get the calorie counts right when I sometimes have overly large breasts that need to be cut. Help!!

Replies

• HardRockCamaro
    Options
    My understanding is that meat weights are always before cooking.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I always search for raw weight and use that.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you're using the database entries, there are calculations for both raw and cooked, so I'd just pick one and go with that. (Look for the ones that haven't been added by other users). I tend to use the raw values if I'm cooking, as it's easier, but if someone else has made it, I weigh it once cooked and use the cooked values (or estimate).
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bumping this as I have always wondered the same thing. I assume that it is raw and that is what I normally do, as the label will not know what the weight will be after cooking. The nutritional info on the package for ground turkey, pork chops, etc... does give a weight and calorie info, but does not normally specify if that is raw or cooked weight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I always use the 'cooked, dry heat' options for meat in the database and go by those numbers. I add in cooking fats separately.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    In terms of what you were left with...

I have noticed that cheap chicken breasts "shrink" more when I cook them vs the good stuff.

I read that in the UK at least (and we're normally pretty good on food laws) they can inject the breasts with water I think it was which plumps them up and makes them heavier. In cooking this obviously disappears. Some of the higher end supermarkets don't do this, and local butchers definitely do not.
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good question...thanks for asking. I don't think I have ever really thought about it before...
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3qcqlkXa51qj47y6_zps5da1c66a.gif
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was told by my dietitian - weigh after...
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think it is only fair to weigh my meat before
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I almost always weigh before. But within the next few days, I'm going to make a chuck roast in the crock pot. It will be easier to weigh it after cooking.
  • nancywho
    Options
    You want the weight of the meat as you are going to eat it, so after you cook it. There is fat and water that cooks out of it that you are not going to be eating.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always weigh before cooking, because the time you cook it and level of "doneness" changes the weight of the meat without changing the nutritional composition.

A 300g raw steak, for example, can differe by up to 100g in cooked weight depending whether it is bleu, rare, medium, well etc. Nothing has changed but the moisture level, all the other stuff is still there, but the cooked weight varies greatly.

Raw is much more accurate. I only use the cooked option in the data base if I haven't cooked it and couldn't weigh it before it was cooked.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    As far as my understanding goes, the labels on food packaging are for raw meat. Therefore, you should weigh beforehand.

I usually weigh the whole package, cook the package, weigh again. I then divide the weight of the cooked meat by the weight of the raw meat and multiply that number by the amount of meat that I logged.

For example, say I have a pound of chicken. I cook it and it comes out to weigh 0.8 lbs (which it usually does, haha). If I logged half a pound of chicken for dinner, I'll weigh out 0.4 lbs of my now cooked chicken and eat that.

I used to weigh my meat after and it was really messing up my macronutrients. I was getting way more protein than carbs so I started to smell ammonia all the time - not fun (won't be a problem at all unless you're trying to eat lower carb).
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As far as my understanding goes, the labels on food packaging are for raw meat. Therefore, you should weigh beforehand.

I usually weigh the whole package, cook the package, weigh again. I then divide the weight of the cooked meat by the weight of the raw meat and multiply that number by the amount of meat that I logged.

For example, say I have a pound of chicken. I cook it and it comes out to weigh 0.8 lbs (which it usually does, haha). If I logged half a pound of chicken for dinner, I'll weigh out 0.4 lbs of my now cooked chicken and eat that.

I used to weigh my meat after and it was really messing up my macronutrients. I was getting way more protein than carbs so I started to smell ammonia all the time - not fun (won't be a problem at all unless you're trying to eat lower carb).

I have no clue what any of this means... :(
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I measure the raw and never the cooked weight. Feels like cheating if I measure the cooked weight.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    That being said...how about potatoes? I weighed it before and the portion sizes are completely different after cooking. So i was trying to research online but couldnt really find anything.

p.s. thanks for posting because i was wondering the same thing too :)
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    i would measure it raw...but now i just buy frozen pre-portioned chicken by weight watchers. makes my life easier. each patty or breast is 4 oz so i dont have to weigh anything
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    After, and I look it up that way (example - roast chicken thigh), too. I'm cooking for a family and don't know which piece of meat I'll end up with at mealtime.

I guess I could weigh it and cook it separately, but why?
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There are options for raw and cooked in the database, but the raw entries will be much more accurate than the cooked ones. If it just says sirloin steak, 4oz, that means 4oz of raw sirloin steak. It will clearly say somewhere in the description if the measurement is for cooked (baked, boiled, fried, etc.).