Flax seeds?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I keep hearing about them. What do they do? Benefits?

Thanks!

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Fiber
    Omega 3
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    "Flax seed is gluten-free and provides essential omega-3 fatty acids, which studies have shown can have numerous health benefits such as helping to reduce the risk of heart disease, and it also contain lignans, compounds that may help protect against certain kinds of cancer.

Flax for food is sold as whole seeds, shelled seeds, milled (ground) seeds and is incorporated into a variety of food products.
    "

I put them in the protein balls I make with peanut butter and oats.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Make sure you grind them first. I've heard that if you eat them whole they just pass right through your digestive track without their nutrients being properly absorbed. :)
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat them for the Omega 3's. Best thing to do is buy whole and grind them yourself as needed. Your body gets more from them if they are ground first, but if they are ground too far ahead they lose some of their nutritional punch. Oh...and store them in the fridge.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Grind them up and put them in anything! I throw them in anything from pasta sauce to yogurt
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    all of the above plus they help fight inflammation. chia seed are also a great choice.

:happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Make sure you grind them first. I've heard that if you eat them whole they just pass right through your digestive track without their nutrients being properly absorbed. :)

True story ^^
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

this is true. and don't buy pre-ground because they're missing the oils that make flaxseeds so good for you in the first place!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

this is true. and don't buy pre-ground because they're missing the oils that make flaxseeds so good for you in the first place!

So how do you grind them at home? My food processor just spins them around.
  • Nighttimeninja
    Options
    Flax seeds are good..... Chia seed are better!! All your amino acids, and omega 3's plus they keep longer without getting bitter like flax can. I started putting just a tablespoon in my Greek yogurt. My energy level has gone through the roof!! I work nights so I need all the energy I can get. Plus they are filling so they help me stay full longer, which is good since I still struggle with my eating habits. Chia is the only way to go!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I eat them for the Omega 3's. Best thing to do is buy whole and grind them yourself as needed. Your body gets more from them if they are ground first, but if they are ground too far ahead they lose some of their nutritional punch. Oh...and store them in the fridge.

They really aren't great for n-3 as the conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA in humans isn't very efficient
  • Lisa1971
    Options

I'm also wondering how to grind them!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

coffee grinder works the best. i also have one of those magic bullet blenders and that works pretty well.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

coffee grinder works the best. i also have one of those magic bullet blenders and that works pretty well.

Well, I hate coffee and don't have a magic bullet but I guess I can blend them up in my smoothies. :drinker:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Well, I hate coffee and don't have a magic bullet but I guess I can blend them up in my smoothies. :drinker:

You don't have to drink the coffee - just buy a cheap grinder - I think they're like $10 or so if I remember correctly.
  • Lindseyk00
    Options
    I have the pre-ground flax seed in a box, bought it for $3 or so just to try it out. I've been putting it in my yogurt but I make sure to add granola to it, because the texture kinda weirds me out. I also throw them into smoothies, and even last night put it onto spaghetti. It doesn't have much of a taste, to me. I just recently started eating it but I've been trying to Incorporate it into my diet everyday, because I heard the benefits are great. Can't hurt to try :)
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I buy whole flax seeds & then I grind a small amount in a coffee grinder ($12) and store them in my fridge. I put 2 tablespoons in my smoothie every morning. You don't taste it at all. I also sprinkle it over spagetti. I'm sure you could sprinkle it on anything.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

Good thing my husband just had to have the Magic Bullet, because I cannot see myself going out and buying a coffee grinder just for flax seeds.

But I am really excited to start using flax seeds. I have never thought about using them before I read a few recipes and articles that talk about all the benefits. I am picking mine up tonight with my produce coop order. So excited!!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    "Flax seed is gluten-free and provides essential omega-3 fatty acids, which studies have shown can have numerous health benefits such as helping to reduce the risk of heart disease, and it also contain lignans, compounds that may help protect against certain kinds of cancer.

Flax for food is sold as whole seeds, shelled seeds, milled (ground) seeds and is incorporated into a variety of food products.
    "

I put them in the protein balls I make with peanut butter and oats.

Could you post the recipe of your protein balls? I am always ont he lookout for foods to feed the kids on the run. :)
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump