seriously scared to eat all those extra calories?

Options
I've been reading the road map thread. And I am scared. But I LOVE good food. If I could actually eat a little more AND lose weight, that would be amazing.

I've been eating around 1200 net and no weight loss or % BF for several months. Yesterday for example, I ran 4 miles and MFP gave me 1563 calories as a goal. But on a rest day, it only gives me 1200. Now on a day where I run 10 miles or run and circuit train, it gives me over 2000 calories.

Here are my calculator results from FAT 2 FIT...

BMR: 1330/1303.
TDEE:
Sedentary: 1596
Lightly Active: 1829
Moderately Active: 2062
Very Active: 2294
Extremely Active: 2527

I work out (running, strength training) 4-5x per week. I am 5"4" and 125 pounds (goal is 115). So moderately active gives me 1650 calories daily and lightly active gives me 1463.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, but is there a question in there? Are you asking us to validate/double check your numbers, or just reassure you that it's ok to eat the extra cals?

BTW, 1200 is low for virtually everyone. I'm betting you'll be fine.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What you can't read my mind? ;)

Seriously, I don't think you were rude at all. I guess I need to be reassured that it is indeed ok to eat more to lose weight and figure out which activity level is best for me.
    Not trying to be rude, but is there a question in there? Are you asking us to validate/double check your numbers, or just reassure you that it's ok to eat the extra cals?

BTW, 1200 is low for virtually everyone. I'm betting you'll be fine.
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I'd go with moderately active, up your calories, and skip the scale for a month while your body stabilizes...take measurements before and after, and photos, and on 2 March see what's up...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm betting you'll be fine.

Just remember... all this is based on estimates. We estimate how much we eat, we estimate how much we burn during a workout. We estimate TDEE and all the rest. So if you're not seeing the progress you're expecting, check your estimates. Most people eat more than they think and burn less than they think.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Activity level" refers to your workplace activity level (I dont know why they dont call it that). Everyone can agree that if you work behind a desk 8 hrs day (like myself), all things equal, you will burn fewer calories during your workday than if you worked construction (or something as intensive). For those that are stay at home parents, they need to choose an activity level that they feel their day to day activities (not counting exercise) closely mirrors.

Even though I work out 6 days/week, I have it set on "Sedentary". That way, for the 1 day a week I dont work out (or miss due to illness, travel, etc), I would rather my caloric needs be set low and eat a portion of my excercise calories than to set my activity level higher, not eat back my exercise calories, and worry about overstating my calories burned and therefore over eating. That way, if my "rest day" needs to move to a different day (It's usually a sunday) due to reasons mentioned earlier, I dont have to worry about my caloric intake as my total is without exercising. Also, since I burn double the calories on days that I'm on the treadmill vs weight training, I would prefer to show a more accurate measurement of my caloric burn (as an actuary, I prefer to be as precise as possible). That way, if I plateau or gain weight, I can more easily figure out the reason why.

You can do either. Set it to be whatever your workplace activity level is and eat back some or all of your exercise calories or set your activity level higher, and not log nor eat back those calories burned due to exercising. Just dont set your activity level high (unless your workplace activity level is high) and eat back your exercise calories. This will likely cause your weight to remain the same or gain weight.
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    I'm referring to the activity level in the TDEE chart, not the MFP settings. :)
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    from experience...i was eating 1200calories a day, working out 4-5 times a week for an hour at a time, and for 7 weeks not loosing anything, weight, measurements, even my pictures of myself didn't look different.

I upped my calories from 1200 to 1600 a day. Im currently taking a week off from extreme working out, doing little things like yoga and stretching. But since giving my body a break and increasing calories, I have lost 3.3lbs!! I'm attributing it to increasing calories because that's the only thing i've changed.

I was scared, still am scared when i keep thinking to myself "OMG, i need to find 500 more calories to eat today!!" But so far its successful. My belly bloat also went down from eating more. down 1 inch in 3 weeks!
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Good for you!! Did you make any changes in the types of foods you eat? I eat pretty healthy, cheats include sweet potato fries, dark chocolate or wine.
    from experience...i was eating 1200calories a day, working out 4-5 times a week for an hour at a time, and for 7 weeks not loosing anything, weight, measurements, even my pictures of myself didn't look different.

I upped my calories from 1200 to 1600 a day. Im currently taking a week off from extreme working out, doing little things like yoga and stretching. But since giving my body a break and increasing calories, I have lost 3.3lbs!! I'm attributing it to increasing calories because that's the only thing i've changed.

I was scared, still am scared when i keep thinking to myself "OMG, i need to find 500 more calories to eat today!!" But so far its successful. My belly bloat also went down from eating more. down 1 inch in 3 weeks!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 1200 net and no weight loss or % BF for several months.
    So what are you afraid of? :smile: What you're doing isn't working, and the formula you've worked out with your numbers has worked for a lot of us, myself included. I say up the numbers for a month at least and see how it goes.
    Good for you!! Did you make any changes in the types of foods you eat? I eat pretty healthy, cheats include sweet potato fries, dark chocolate or wine.
    I wouldn't call those things cheats - I eat all three fairly often, the chocolate and wine several times a week, with no problems. They fit in my goals. :drinker: My dairy is open - feel free to look!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, you need to fuel your body. It will thank you! Stop worrying and enjoy the extra calories and energy, you will definitely enjoy the difference.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5 and 145 and I am lightly active and eat 1500 a day and I am losing weight without any problems and dont work out nearly as much as you. It will work just give it a try
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah so when you work out you probably burn 3-500 calories per session... so you can either eat those over top of your 1200 calories daily, or you can subtract from your est. TDEE (which is those exercise calories averaged over 7 days and added on to your BMR plus daily normal activity) and eat the same thing every day... so, like 1600-1700 calories daily or so for a 300-400 calorie daily deficit from the 2000-ish you got for moderate.

Either way is virtually the same thing. Just depends on how you like to deal with a rest day. I don't like high calories every day and then being forced into a low calorie day when I take the day off, so the TDEE method is best if you're like that too.

But if you prefer calorie cycling, eat 1200 on rest days, and eat your exercise calories when you earn them... it kind of works out the same way.

I've lost weight eating over 2000 calories daily, but I'm also very active and bigger than you are (5'7" and about 158 lbs now).
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really sound like you will be eating all THAT much more, if you allowed yourself to eat back all your exercise calories previously. If you were eating 1200 two days a week, 1500 three days a week, and 2100 two days a week... that averages around 1600 calories a day. If you shoot for around 1800-1900, it's not really a scary calorie increase.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options

I didn't change much. Just ate more fruit and always a salad for lunch. I allowed myself a treat per day. Either a toaster strudel or dark chocolate covered Acai berries. Lol.

• lmfaulkner9
    Options
    I am similar size, 5'3" and 125 lbs and I also run (20-30 miles per week depending on what races I am training for). I can tell you that 1200 calories per day would not cut it for me at all!!! You need to have the extra calories to have the energy to keep up with the running and working out. I eat back just a little of my exercise calories (maybe eating up to 1600 calories on workout days based on my 1500 calorie per day setting) but if I run 10 miles on the weekend, I will eat back more but not go too crazy. You are already at a very healthy and ideal weight and you don't want to starve yourself and deprive your body from the calories it needs to keep up with all that exercising!
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Up your calories a little bit and monitor your weight loss or gain and adjust your calories based on the results. You will probably need to give it a week or more to accurately detect if you are actually gaining or losing. This is pretty much what you will have to do to maintain your goal weight any ways, so you might as well learn to trust yourself.
  • LesaReid
    Options
    I am 50 have already lost 75 lbs - added back 15 and now on track again for the last 60, hopefully - I too just want a rule about the exercise calories - I tend to lose weight slower than most of my friends I tmostly eat whole/real foods - but find I am finished and full around 1050 - 1100 calories and am craming stuff in my mouth to get to 1200 so I can go to bed during the week - so eating more just frustrates me - I know once in a while when I say "f" it and eat pizza I will lose a couple the next day - I need boundries or rules - anyone??? as I feel extra everyday will go the opposite effect?
  • tinahalloran
    tinahalloran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ok I need to get some clarification on this as I am just starting out thinking about trying this, I am currently 5ft2 140 lbs and a website estimates me to be 26%BF, when i calculate everything my BMR is 1372 then my numbers for what I should eat to maintain my weight is 1646 sedentary, 1887 lightly active, 2127 moderately active, 2367 very active.

Assuming I will pick lightly active at 1887 now what do I do???
    Do I exercise and eat 1887 calls? or do I set my calories lower around say 1600 and still exercise and eat back or not eat back those calories?

I had figured I should set my goal somewhere between my BMR 1372 and 1887 so say 1600? then do I eat the calories I burn exercising on the days I exercise?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ok I need to get some clarification on this as I am just starting out thinking about trying this, I am currently 5ft2 140 lbs and a website estimates me to be 26%BF, when i calculate everything my BMR is 1372 then my numbers for what I should eat to maintain my weight is 1646 sedentary, 1887 lightly active, 2127 moderately active, 2367 very active.

Assuming I will pick lightly active at 1887 now what do I do???
    Do I exercise and eat 1887 calls? or do I set my calories lower around say 1600 and still exercise and eat back or not eat back those calories?

I had figured I should set my goal somewhere between my BMR 1372 and 1887 so say 1600? then do I eat the calories I burn exercising on the days I exercise?

You would subtract 15% from 1887 and eat that every day - on workout days AND rest days - and no adding back exercise calories. The 1887 is your average TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) including your exercise.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Dont be scared honestly. Its all trial and error. If you need help.. feel free to look at my diary.
    I am 5'3 also and Right now I weigh approx. 113 lbs.
    I eat usually 1500-2000 calories a day with exercise.