The cost of Healthy Food vs. Junk Food

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    There is some healthy foods that you can get relatively cheap :

Oats ( I don't mean instant flavored oatmeal)
    Legumes ( lentils, beans..) when purchased dried are really cheap
    ect.

but I agree that buying a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, meats is very expensive.

And there they are: the damn lentils and beans.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and junk food is wayyyy cheaper.

I too live in the US. I have lived in California and Missouri. Prior to that, I live in England. I have quite a number of data points.

Eating healthy is more expensive if you also wish to eat conveniently (barring an all raw diet). If you are prepared to put in the time to cook, eating healthy is not more expensive except in comparison to the absolutely most nutritionally barren diets.

Putting aside the "Is healthy more expensive?" question, you must also factor in %age of income spent on food. The developed world has been spoiled rotten with readily available food, and spends significantly less on nutrition as a %age of income. In short, even the base line by which you are starting to compare is horribly, horribly, skewed.
  • 28DebRena
    Options
    When I go shopping again, I shall compare prices and purchase more wisely and take into consideration what ideas have been thrown at me. Hopefully, I can make wiser choices that will not render me broke.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I can get days worth of food for two people from a chicken, say. I have been skint many times in the past.

Day 1: Roast chicken (eat both breasts if you must)
    Day 2 : The legs make some kind of chicken risotto/stew etc
    Day 3: The remainder of the carcase is picked as clean as you can (wings, oysters etc) and you make soup
    Day 4: What is left is boiled with veg/water to make stock, with which you will strain and reduce and drink half as soup (add veg, barley etc) and use the remaining half to make your next batch of 'day 3' soup.

Normal veg is way cheaper than tinned here. Buy loose is always cheaper than packets.

I can make meals for pennies.

Edited to add: lentils are not as cheap as split peas. You can put them in soup.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For one thing, don't worry about buying organic. There are a few items I buy organic, but not many...and I do so because I prefer their taste so it's worth the extra $$ for me.

Secondly...I used to think this same thing until I really sat down and did the math. When I really sat down and analyzed it, I found that serving per serving, it came out pretty even.

For example, I could buy a can of canned soup for $2.50... that according to the label would serve two @ $1.25 per person...I found that I could often make that same soup or stew with $10 worth of ingredients and it serves 8...@ $1.25 per person. It was really the upfront cost that was throwing me off...just going to the store and picking up a can of soup vs buying ingredients for a big pot of soup...but serving to serving, it pretty much nets out. To boot, it tastes a lot better...isn't loaded with a bunch of sodium and sugar (among other things) and I can absolutely control what goes into my meal.

Also, there are always deals to be had on produce as well as meats and poultry...just have to watch for them and forgo the idea that you have a single grocer you deal with. Chicken in general is cheap and we eat a lot of it...eggs are cheap and we eat a lot of them. We buy other meat products when they're on sale and/or buy cheaper cuts. Further, stick to veg and fruit that is in season...out of season fruit and veg is more expensive and isn't as good a product as it otherwise would be if it were in season.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you buy 'proper' cuts of meat (as opposed to convenient ones, ie steaks etc) then they seem expensive up front but you have more meat and bones etc for stock making.

I used to get beef bones from my butcher (supposedly for dogs) had quite a bit of meat on em.

Offal is cheap - I love liver.
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    They should charge less for fruits and veggies, seeing as how they rot if not eaten within a timely manner. Brownies and stuff like that will keep for a long time and only cost like $2. Insanity.

Why not eat them in a timely manner then? A bag of apples cost me $6 and it's makes a snack for my 2 kids and me for an entire week. Bananas are $0.89/lb and make a great addition to breakfasts, snacks, and when they're past their prime you can turn them into smoothies or "ice cream". Freeze fresh berries (you can usually buy them on sale and save about 50% on their cost) and eat them frozen for a nice snack, or mixed into oatmeal for breakfast, or smoothies. Buy meat in bulk and freeze or precook and freeze for quick suppers. My grocery bill for a family of 4 (the baby isn't quite on solids yet) is $160 for 2 weeks of healthy food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Talk to your congressfolks and senators. It's that way because of the farm bill.

My neighbors make more money on subsidies to grow corn and soy than they make selling the corn and soy they grow. Then, the transportation of said commodities to the CAFOs and food labs is also subsidized. Then the CAFOs and production of highly processed foods is subsidized.

Meanwhile, I grow my little 2 1/2 acres of veggies, and 10 of fruits, and receive nothing in the way of subsidies, but have to pay higher property taxes because the fruit trees and whatnot are "improvements."

The junk is not actually less expensive. It takes more energy (particularly fossil fuel energy) to produce the commodity crops that go in to the processed foods than it does to produce real food. Then it takes more energy and people to move it around, and to process it into the chemical ingredients for the processed food, then still more put them together into your pop tart or soda or wonder bread, then still more to package it, and still more to transport it a second (or more) time. The difference, however, is that everyone is paying the lion's share of the cost of those foods, whether they buy them or not, through taxes. When you buy a head of broccoli or a carrot, for the most part you're actually paying something close to what it cost to produce that, because the production and transportation of those items is almost completely unsubsidized.

Sad thing is, while you're paying more for the unprocessed food, the people growing it are getting paid less. Even more sad thing is that even when you stop buying the processed food, you're still paying for it. That's how you get Michael Pollan giving presentations where he tries to see how many calories you can buy for $1 (at the presentation I saw, it was 90 calories of broccoli for $1, or 1200 calories of cookies).

Our food industry is actually designed to make people unhealthy (it's designed to essentially addict people to "bad" foods, and making them eat far more calories with far less nutritional benefit than is healthy), and our government's policies are designed to support that industry. Your taxes at work.

QFT
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I've actually found the opposite to be true for me... I just checked my credit card statement for the month... I saved about $100 this month from cooking at home instead of eating out a couple of times a week.

Do you have an Aldi near you? They are crazy cheap and offer some really healthy options as well... Or a Sam's club or costco?

dried barley
    dried beans (any beans... chick peas are my personal favorite)
    dried lentils
    organic baby spinach (sam's club)
    onions
    Aldi frozen all natural boneless skinless chicken breast
    aldi frozen wild caught salmon fillets (as organic as you can get for fish)
    whole wheat pasta
    Sam's club sweet baby peppers
    Sam's club goat cheese
    Homestyle whole wheat tortillas
    fresh blueberries or black berries (a little pricier but I Love them)

are some of my staples... check out farmers markets when in season as well.. then not only are you supporting local business, but saving money, and knowing your food is fresh and where it came from too.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Agreed, and anyone who says different is lying through their damn teeth. I think some junk food (namely chips, cereals, and convenience meals) are more expensive, but the majority of it is ridiculously cheaper than fresh veggies and fruits and meats.

I'm sorry, but no one wants to eat dry beans and lentils everyday! Shut up about the damn lentils. (I'm assuming that it's already been mentioned or will be mentioned in the next few minutes, because it ALWAYS is.)

First, I don't appreciate being called a liar, even indirectly, and even on an internet forum.

Second, no-one said you must eat dried lentils everyday. My family eats extremely well, extremely healthy, and without breaking the bank by a long shot.

Third, have you actually tried lentils? I used to eschew lentils as "goddamn hippy crap" until I made lentil soup one day and it was frikking delicious. Now I make it up once every couple of weeks in a twelve serving batch and always have a few servings in the freezer for go-to lunches.

Perhaps you just don't know how to shop well, prepare good meals and minimize waste? I'm not saying that as a dig, there's no shame in it. Everyone has to learn sometime, and it's taken me ten years to figure it out. I'm sure in another ten years I'll be even better at it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Produce ...... buy "in season" fruits & veggies. Frozen veggies ..... and fruits too are healthy. I always have something stashed in the freezer.

Some grocery store chains have much more expensive produce than others .... I used to drive across town to buy all my produce at one store (now they opened a second store in my neighborhood.... not a big chain)..... the price difference is incredible. Keep looking at different stores.

Buy in bulk & (learn to) freeze what you don't use. Yes, freezing changes textures, but find different uses ..... smoothies, soups, stews.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Offal is cheap - I love liver

mmmn, second that
  • rluedtke
    Options
    It is definitely cheaper to eat healthy when you plan your meals.

I usually look at the flyers, see who has the best sale and plan my meals for the week based on what is on sale or I have in the freezer.

I buy my meat at Costco which I divide into smaller packs when I get home. One whole chicken can make 2 or 3 meals plus soup.

I stock up on staples like pasta, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce when it's on sale. I buy all my fruit and veggies fresh every week. I spend $600 on food for 2 people oer month. And I live in Canada where our groceries are insanely expensive.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There is some healthy foods that you can get relatively cheap :

Oats ( I don't mean instant flavored oatmeal)
    Legumes ( lentils, beans..) when purchased dried are really cheap
    ect.

but I agree that buying a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, meats is very expensive.

I said that buying "real" food was expensive didn't I? Lentils are cheap... it's a fact. Lentils are gross ( to me) that's a fact as well.

And there they are: the damn lentils and beans.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

Buy in bulk & (learn to) freeze what you don't use. Yes, freezing changes textures, but find different uses ..... smoothies, soups, stews.

Another really good tip... sure not everything freezes well... but a lot of things do... buy when on sale, make extra ahead of time and freeze the rest, this also makes prep time a lot quicker if you don't have a lot of time but know that you have a whole meal in the freezer just ready to be put in the crock pot on your way to work without having to do any extra prep.
  • lalarox
    lalarox Posts: 37
    Options

Agreed, and anyone who says different is lying through their damn teeth. I think some junk food (namely chips, cereals, and convenience meals) are more expensive, but the majority of it is ridiculously cheaper than fresh veggies and fruits and meats.

I'm sorry, but no one wants to eat dry beans and lentils everyday! Shut up about the damn lentils. (I'm assuming that it's already been mentioned or will be mentioned in the next few minutes, because it ALWAYS is.)

First, I don't appreciate being called a liar, even indirectly, and even on an internet forum.

Second, no-one said you must eat dried lentils everyday. My family eats extremely well, extremely healthy, and without breaking the bank by a long shot.

Third, have you actually tried lentils? I used to eschew lentils as "goddamn hippy crap" until I made lentil soup one day and it was frikking delicious. Now I make it up once every couple of weeks in a twelve serving batch and always have a few servings in the freezer for go-to lunches.

Perhaps you just don't know how to shop well, prepare good meals and minimize waste? I'm not saying that as a dig, there's no shame in it. Everyone has to learn sometime, and it's taken me ten years to figure it out. I'm sure in another ten years I'll be even better at it.

^^ I totally agree.

You can make eating healthy not be expensive. It's about shopping smart. I buy most of my fruits and veggies frozen-they last longer and are always ready when I need them. Chicken and fish is a great protein and fairly cheap. We are not "lying thru our teeth." We pay attention to what we buy. Spinach, broccoli, rice, whole wheat pasta/breads and lean meats can often be purchased at a lower cost then unhealthy, prepackaged, sodium and fat loaded "unhealthy" foods. Buy the crown of broccoli for dinner instead of the box of Mac N Cheese-It makes the same amount of servings-costs the same if not less and is healthier.
  • CovaJoser
    Options
    I can go to my local Walmart and spend under $100 a week and that feeds two adults. I don't think that's very expensive. Most people spend nearly that much in fast food and going out to restaurants a week. I know because that's how we used to be.

A bag of chicken breasts from Costco is $11 and feeds us for 2 weeks. A bag of brown rice was $15 and has kept is fed for over a month! I spend maybe $30 a week on fresh produce. This includes avocados, lettuce, oranges, loads of bananas, lemons, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers and onions. If you have a bread store it helps buying bread when they have sales. I get two loaves of 50 cal whole wheat for $3 or less.

The key is looking for deals, and planning out each and every meal. Food never gets wasted at my house. Buy only as much produce as you need and learn how to pick the produce. If you're not going to eat a certain fruit or produce till the end of the week learn to choose the less ripe ones. The more expensive grocery stores usually have much higher quality produce which tends to last longer, even if its 10 cents more its worth the trip.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Processed food is absolutely less expensive here (US), regardless of whether it's junk food or nominally nutritious food. Take, for example, something simple. Marinara sauce. Hit the sales cycle right, have a coupon, and you can pretty easily buy a jar of Ragu, for example, for $.75. Sometimes less. I've actually gotten it for free before...

Now, purchase tomatoes, bell peppers, oregano, onions, garlic, carrots, salt, and bay leaves to make your own. Even if you're buying in season, and pro-rate the ingredients to match what goes in an equivalent amount of sauce as is in that jar, you're going to spend at least twice as much on tomatoes. Even if you grow them yourself (I know - I grow almost all of the food we eat, and because I also sell our produce, I track production costs closely. And I've got a some economy of scale a home gardener wouldn't, though not as much as a big producer).

Of course, you couldn't actually replicate the ragu, because you're not going to be able to make high fructose corn syrup, soybean oil, cheese cultures (OK, I have cheese cultures, but most folks don't...), "Enzymes" or "Natural Flavors."

Or, people like lentils, let's do something realistic. I'm making Lentil soup for dinner tonight:

Lentils - $2.29
    Carrots - $1.40 *
    Cellery - $.20
    Onion - $.30 *
    Garlic - $.32 *
    Vegetable stock~ $3 **
    diced tomatoes - $.89
    Balsamic vinegar - $.15
    Spinach - $2.50 *

Total - $11.94
    8 servings = $1.94 per serving

* I grew all of these, and that's my cost of production. To buy would be more expensive most of the time
    ** I canned my own veggie stock, with stuff I grew. That's an approximate figure, because it does not take into account the energy to pressure can the stock, and because the recipe varies depending on what I have available

A single-serving can of Progresso lentil soup? $.50 (on sale w/ coupon). And the amount I need to spend on energy to prepare the canned soup is much less - 2 or 3 minutes on the stove, or a minute in the microwave. Versus simmering for hours in the crock pot. Granted, if I were home to keep the wood stove at the right temp, I could simmer the soup that way with free energy. But I could also heat the canned soup on the wood stove, too.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Whenever I see a debate as polarizing as this one, I try to think "what am I missing?". I mean, with opinions as strong as this on both sides, it's hard to believe that anyone is so completely and totally wrong.

From my perspective, I guess I've always done a fair degree of food preparation. I've never lived on microwave meals, pizza and ramen noodles. So my move to much healthier food was perhaps less drastic than for others? My concern then, though, is just how unhealthy must a diet get in order to be cheaper.

What is the baseline to which we are comparing?

My position is one of preparing at least 80%, generally more like 90%, of food from scratch for a family of three (four when my step-son is with us). That Includes making all sauces, soups, etc... By eating like that, I save money compared to buying jarred pasta sauces, pre-prepared burgers, battered fish, breaded chicken, etc.... Would it save money over all pre-prepared microwave meals? I'd imagine so. Over eating every single meal at McDonalds? Not sure. Or over eating ramen noodles at every sitting? Almost certainly not.

Of course, I also make a substantial time commitment. But my family is worth it, and for the most part I quite enjoy it, bar the occasions where I bite off more than I can chew and end up wanting to smash everything with my saute pan and go out for a burger :laugh:

So there, that's where I am coming from. Those of you on the other side of this argument - what's your starting point, and what type of healthy diet are you finding is much more expensive?
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, a shopping trip would consist of a woman breezing throuh the grocery store adding fruits, veggies, and organic stuff into her cart. Reality is a woman adding snack cakes, white bread, canned fruits, etc., etc. into her cart. because that it all she can afford. In order to eat healthy, you really have to starve to death because the prices make it impossible to purchase more of what you need. I have a family of 5, and it is so much cheaper to buy the bad stuff. They should lower the prices of healthy foods and increase the price of junk food so that it would help us all out.

You are dead on.

That is why the NUMBER ONE predictor of obesity in the United States is personal income.