Fast Food Question

Options
I find it difficult to kick the habit of having fast food every once in awhile so I was wondering....would it be ok to eat fast food during the week if it remains within your calorie limit?

For ex. last night I went to taco bell and got a double decker supreme and a chicken fresco taco but they were within the calorie limit I had left for dinner.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself treats while keeping within my day's calories is what makes me able to eat at a deficit for months at a time. If I had to forbid myself things I like, there's no way I could do it for long. Just try to continue to keep your fast food within your calorie allotment, and try to eat more nutritiously most of the time.

I also make sure I go to the restaurant's webpage and check the nutrition page before I go. It really helps if I decide what I'm going to have before I get there, so I'm not tempted into having something more calorific when I see it on the menu.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    as long as its not a major focus of your diet and within your calories i say yeah. maybe just dont drink the soda
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I try not to let myself eat out more than once, maybe twice a week at most anymore... It's just so much cheaper, and so much easier to count actual calories with making sure that I'm getting the proper vitamins and minerals through food if I don't.

but as long as it's your weekly treat and not an everyday thing then I think it's fine... I try to eat whole foods about 80% of the time personally... because greasy fatty, sugary foods taste too good to give up completely :) Moderation is key.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food or dine out at least once a week.
    I plan ahead of time where I am going to go and exactly what I am going to have and enter it in MFP.
    I plan meals for the rest of the day around that.
    Also, make sure it is reasonable.
    After eating healthy, I don't think your body would appreciate a Big Mac, even if it is in your calorie goal!
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it won't matter if your calories come from fast food or not. That said, fast food is usually very high in sodium, simple carbs and sat fats. There are a also a number of vitamins and minerals that are better found in other sources. If fast food is a big part of your diet you are probably missing some nutrients and consuming too much of others you might not needed.

I think moderation is the key. If it is an occasional thing, I think fast food can be part of a healthy diet. Also, in my opinion, no matter how “good” a diet is; it will do you no good if it isn’t enjoyable. If you like fast food, I say exercise portion control and try to go for the more sensible options, but there is no need to deprive yourself of it.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've done it - the chicken soft tacos from TBell or the baked potato from Wendy's.
    Actually most of the food is in the database, so as long as you count it, why not?
    The saturated fat is a detractor tho.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the 'everything in moderation' mind set. Denial, for me, means failure. So having occasional fast food shouldn't be a problem... if you're not the sort that it would end up having it every single day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    From a purely weight loss POV, it doesn't matter...a calorie is a calorie and if you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. From a nutritional and health standpoint, that's something else altogether...from that standpoint I would not advise making fast food a substantial part of your diet. It really just depends on what you're trying to accomplish here.
  • danielson144
    danielson144 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Calories isn't the only thing to look at. Protein and Fats if you are going over, but staying under your calorie limit, are bad news.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fast food every now and again. As long as it fits within your calories, you should be fine. My biggest complaint with fast food is it just doesn't seem to stick with me. I'm hungry again within one to two hours after eating it.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make sure you watch how processed your foods are too. But I agree - everything in moderation! Since this is a lifestyle change, don't tell yourself "no" to anything.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just watch the fat and sodium. There are many good choices to fill your fast food urge.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Watch Fat Head. And enjoy that burger or whatever it is you said you like (never heard of it!).

PS Cut down not out.
  • dispatchbug
    dispatchbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything. If I start saying "I can't have ****' then any changes I make to get healthier wont work for me. Tho now instead if I want something that isn't healthy or is take away, I balance my whole day around the calories / nutrition on what I am going to indulge with. If you stayed within calories & nutritional guide, occasional eating out will actually help you in the long run.
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I am not a fan of the "moderation" mindset (but it does work for others). I am pretty good at going "cold turkey" and I think sometime "moderation" mindset is too relative and can lead to worse decisions later on. I AM however TOTALLY for listening to your cravings and either "giving into them" once in a while or finding a substitute. For example, I have and will always be a CANDY fiend. If you leave me in a room with 2 lbs of gummy bears... well nevermind don't do that haha I cut candy out, but there are just times I want something sweet (and its totally natural) so I would opt for dark chocolate and that kills the craving and a healthier option ORRR I am also a fiend for ice cream. To kill that craving, I learned to make protein frozen yogurt. Once again a little healthier.

I think its just about being smart, like someone else said, planning ahead (because what I wrote above won't always happen like if you have to go out for a dinner with a client or family or friends you can't say, do you have protein powder in the back haha) and listening to your body.

Hope that helped! Good Luck!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i just stopped eating it all together for the first year of losing weight. before that i would eat out(fast food/restaurants) for almost 100% of my meals.

and now i dont crave or really want fast food at all. the one thing i still crave is burgers but for those i go to the better burger joints(not mcdonalds, burger king etc...)

so my advice is work on kicking the habit all together instead of trying to work it in.
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    I wouldn't make it a frequent habit but once in awhile wont hurt you. just order the healthiest option available and make sure it works in your calories
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to kick the habit of having fast food every once in awhile so I was wondering....would it be ok to eat fast food during the week if it remains within your calorie limit?

yes
    For ex. last night I went to taco bell and got a double decker supreme and a chicken fresco taco but they were within the calorie limit I had left for dinner.

Is this a bad idea?

no
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Crap. I want a Taco Bell now. I last had one in Florida over 10 years ago and loved it. Nearest place is 50 miles away. Hrmph.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food or dine out at least once a week.
    I plan ahead of time where I am going to go and exactly what I am going to have and enter it in MFP.
    I plan meals for the rest of the day around that.
    Also, make sure it is reasonable.
    After eating healthy, I don't think your body would appreciate a Big Mac, even if it is in your calorie goal!
    This is my thought too. I try to eat extra fruits and veggies that day.