Antipsychotics and weight gain?

Options
I'm on Seroquel and I've gained a lot of weight on it!!! Now, I'm losing it all with the help of MFP :) Anyone else in the same boat with antipsychotics?

Replies

• haycock86
    Options
    Hi, I'm not on antipyschotics meds but about 6 weeks ago my doctor put me on Remron. Since taking this I've regained 11lbs and I'm really struggling to lose the weight. My doctor has told me it's very common not to be able to lose weight whilst on this med.. It's frustrating the hell out of me as I lift heavy 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week.

Well done on being able to lose weight of your meds it gives me hope that I too will be able to lose weight again. :)
  • jennahiltibran
    Options
    Same exact story!! I'm on Geodon I went from a healthy 138 to 180..... that's so much in three years time. It's so inspirational to hear you did it! If you can I can :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
  • Hufflepuffer
    Options
    yeah, i was on seroquel and got really bad carb cravings and was constantly starving. it was really horrible because i never get like that usually. in the first 2 weeks or so i gained 10 pounds which was a lot considering my height/weight/how hard i was trying to stop thinking about bread.
    dark times. after that it started to become bearable. (though i was taken off it shortly after, due to other side effects)
    unfortunately, the weight gain kinda messed with me and i got stuck in quite the restrict/binge cycle.
    one of my hospital mates was pretty drugged up on seroquel and gained. a lot. fortunate thing about IP being the lack of control over food, though i probably wouldn't recommend it as a weight loss strategy.
    i think your best bet is dealing with carb cravings by uping your protein and lots of cardio to compensate, because it's pretty inevitable if it effects you badly. it can also fudge up your metabolism, in which case you should talk to your Dr. and consider changing your meds.
  • jennahiltibran
    Options
    I can blame most of the weight on my ability to have no self control over my eating habits. I don't know if Geodon itself has any effect over my weight other than my ability to keep food from my mouth. Eating habits changed from fast food everyday and no exercise to about 90% clean eating and exercise 3-4 times a day (ya I need to do more). It clicked one day when my dad said don't let your stomach tell you what to do. As in have self control your stomach doesn't dictate what you eat YOU do. Yes, the hungry feeling sucks but you can combat that with lots of protein, water, and veggies as snacks. I think when people cut their calories so low even on medication your not going to see a difference since your body needs a certain amount to function hence your body holding onto its fat. So, all I want to do is to lose all this weight to show everyone in the same boat as me there IS hope and you don't have to be stuck in this crappy situation.
  • Wauwa01
    Wauwa01 Posts: 19
    Options
    OMG this is quite interesting, I am currently taking Stemetil for Labyrinthitis and I have been watching my calorie intake for the last 4 weeks and actually managed to gain weight! I never thought that the anti psychotics were to blame but now I am starting to think this ties in with when the weight gain started!! Thank you for posting that, feel a bit better now!!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I can blame most of the weight on my ability to have no self control over my eating habits. I don't know if Geodon itself has any effect over my weight other than my ability to keep food from my mouth. Eating habits changed from fast food everyday and no exercise to about 90% clean eating and exercise 3-4 times a day (ya I need to do more). It clicked one day when my dad said don't let your stomach tell you what to do. As in have self control your stomach doesn't dictate what you eat YOU do. Yes, the hungry feeling sucks but you can combat that with lots of protein, water, and veggies as snacks. I think when people cut their calories so low even on medication your not going to see a difference since your body needs a certain amount to function hence your body holding onto its fat. So, all I want to do is to lose all this weight to show everyone in the same boat as me there IS hope and you don't have to be stuck in this crappy situation.

THANK GOD! Someone is finally taking credit for their actions and not blaming their weight gain on a pill and taking all the responsibilty away from themselves!
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The first time I regained the weight, I was put on Depakote (I think that was the name) and gained 80lbs back in a couple of months. It was so difficult, and definitely did NOT help my mental health. I am currently med free and doing alright, but considering going back on Wellbutrin as that was the only med I took that helped me, and also did not make it impossible to keep weight off.

Good luck, I really hope you are able to find really good support and make it work better than I did.
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    When I was on Luvox (antidepressant) it was hard to lose weight. I was taking them for "treating" OCD. They made me feel lazy, and weight loss was a pain in the *kitten* but they helped me to get over my "bad thoughts". I've stopped them since summer 2012 and i think im almost normal. I still have some compulsions but I can live happily.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options

THANK GOD! Someone is finally taking credit for their actions and not blaming their weight gain on a pill and taking all the responsibilty away from themselves!

I think this is a somewhat insensitive comment unless you have actually been on antipsychotics before.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

While I do agree with you that people need to take way more action than they already do regarding weightloss and the meds. They do bear some of the responsibility. I've seen multiple reports of people that get up in there sleep and eat while on seroquel and having no memory of it the next morning. Willpower does have a lot to do with it but when your desire to eat is increased 10 fold by a medication it is hard not to over eat sometimes because your brain is telling you that you have to eat.

I have been on plenty of psych meds over the years and most of them do not make you over eat, but will stall weightloss. I am currently on lithium(and others) and fighting tooth and nail with it because I am trying to lose weight and it is one of those that has been related to weight gain. It is everything that I can do to keep from gaining weight I am maintaining currently and losing very slowly. They do slow down the loss rate for a lot of people. Also, I am eating right and I work out hard 6 days a week.

The two meds that I just could not stop eating on were Seroquel and Zyprexa. I was constantly walking around wanting to stuff my face with food. One slip up and I would devour half the fridge. I do not eat a lot normally and this is out of character. My weight gain was from never leaving the house due to depression rather than severe over eating.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options

While I do agree with you that people need to take way more action than they already do regarding weightloss and the meds. They do bear some of the responsibility. I've seen multiple reports of people that get up in there sleep and eat while on seroquel and having no memory of it the next morning. Willpower does have a lot to do with it but when your desire to eat is increased 10 fold by a medication it is hard not to over eat sometimes because your brain is telling you that you have to eat.

I have been on plenty of psych meds over the years and most of them do not make you over eat, but will stall weightloss. I am currently on lithium(and others) and fighting tooth and nail with it because I am trying to lose weight and it is one of those that has been related to weight gain. It is everything that I can do to keep from gaining weight I am maintaining currently and losing very slowly. They do slow down the loss rate for a lot of people. Also, I am eating right and I work out hard 6 days a week.

The two meds that I just could not stop eating on were Seroquel and Zyprexa. I was constantly walking around wanting to stuff my face with food. One slip up and I would devour half the fridge. I do not eat a lot normally and this is out of character. My weight gain was from never leaving the house due to depression rather than severe over eating.

^^^This sums it up perfectly! Also, I know lithium can cause hypothyroidism.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Not helpful! There are some medications that, even if you have no change in your diet/exercise, will increase your weight. And for the medications that don't actually make you gain weight but do make your appetite increase or even just make you gain water, this is a site to help people through their issues and combating the increase in appetite is a real tangible issue that they should be able to post about for SUGGESTIONS without self righteous people on their high horses sneering down on them.
  • jennahiltibran
    Options
    My post was NOT intended to make anyone feel bad or for me to look "self righteous". I have entirely had a hard time with my weight issue. The medication I take luckily I can control it if I'm super careful. All I was saying is what worked for ME. My weight gain issue was caused by me being careless not saying anyone else struggling is careless too. My thing is I want to lose my weight so I can give other people hope where I did not. Plus, I am on an entirely different medication but a antipsychotic none the less. The ones being named are the ones with the highest risk of weight gain. They have put me one so many different medications my head spins thinking about it. It all boils down to what works for you. It takes a few times but I am definitely in this struggle with everyone on here.
  • cmajorseventh
    Options
    It has been a while since this thread was published. but I have found it very helpful. I am taking lithium and an antipsychotic, and from research it looks like associated weight gain is caused by increased intake due to cravings, with the exception of the case of thyroid damage caused by lithium, which people on this drug should regularly be checked for. I find that I have to take my antipsychotic medication by 9pm in the evening, otherwise it would knock me out too much in the morning. This means there are at least 2 hours where I am tired and craving food, at a time of day when I have always had the most frequent food cravings.

I find that if I eat a lower carb diet, only eating carbs (wholefood at that) first thing in the morning and postworkout, with the exception of the occasional 100 calories worth with a meal (by this I mean carbs apart from fruit and veggies i.e. wholegrain rice, potatoes, wholewheat bread), I find it easier to control the cravings as my blood sugar is more even. It also helps if I eat smaller meals. The information posted about amino acids helping the cravings makes sense as if I eat more protein, I don't crave as much.

My biggest tip that I really want to share is eating nuts to control cravings. I save myself 150 calories to eat during my 'craving time' and eat 25g of nuts, usually almonds or cashews. I think that with these containing some amino acids and also some fat to helo to knock down my ghrelin (hunger hormone) levels, they are a great natural wholefood to use in this situation.

It is sometimes very, very hard to control these cravings. The only way I can describe it is like having PMT type carb cravings every single time you take the meds. To anyone who manages to lose weight on these meds, I take my hat off to you! I am managing to maintain and reduce the odd pound purely because I do so much exercise. Reduction on these meds is difficult. It would be good to hear any more tips!
  • HopeK7117
    Options
    Three months ago I went to my primary care physician for an unrelated matter, and my doctor said I had gained weight so quickly that I needed to address the issue. “Seroquel makes you gain weight,” he said. I was thinking, no s*** Sherlock!

I’ve tried changing medications due to the weight gain with disastrous results. I’ve even thrown out the Seroquel and the Klonopin (doing this made me lose all the weight I’d gained in TWO MONTHS), only to have a massive manic episode that particular summer and a debilitating, suicidal winter following that. I cannot deny that these medications are essential for me to, oh, live life somewhat normally.

In the past, before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I’d had a couple of major weight gains–when I turned 30 and again when I was pregnant with my son. I had great success in shedding those pounds quickly by low-carb dieting. However, that was before Seroquel. I tried low-carb dieting while on this med, and the weight loss was so slow that I got discouraged, cheated, and gained back the little weight I’d lost. There’s no doubt for me that it slows my ability to lose weight, and it gives me sugar cravings, especially in the evening, that are almost terrifying in their power. When my PCP told me I was up to 215 pounds, I decided I HAD to do something. I threw out all the starchy and sugary stuff and joined a gym, where I walk the track and do strength training to improve my muscle tone. After about three weeks of not eating sugar or too much starch, the cravings for sweets started to ease. Thank God. That made it easier for me to stay on a regimen of eating lean proteins, vegetables, citrus fruits (only one per day), nuts (not too many), low-carb pita bread with hummus, and the occasional chocolate Atkins meal replacement bar when I can’t stand it and NEED CHOCOLATE (never more than one per day). Basically, I only eat food that is low in carbohydrates and try to get as much protein as I can. And I try to only eat when I’m hungry. Oh, and I only drink water, coffee with a little cream and artificial sweetener, and diet green tea. Maybe twice a month I have a splurge meal so that I don’t feel like I’m never ever going to get to eat a raspberry filled Krispy Kreme doughnut again.

I’ve been on this regimen for three months, and I’ve lost 13 pounds. I can’t help but miss the old days when I could shed 13 pounds in half that time, but I’ve got to keep on track. Sigh. I guess this is an example of slow and steady wins the race.

I've talked to so many people and read so many message boards about this subject. People are frustrated by the weight gain from psych meds. They are finding it difficult to lose weight. So, I decided to start my own blog about it, http://theskinnyonpsychmeds.com/ . I am researching and trying to get tips from all angles and from as many people as I can. It sucks enough having one chronic disorder, and it would REALLY suck to have to deal with diabetes or other chronic diseases on top of that!
  • HopeK7117
    Options
    @cmajorseventh: I am also a nut who is nuts about nuts! They've got lots of vitamins, minerals, and good fats. I get large batches of the unsalted kind (trying to keep my sodium down, too, plus I'm less likely to overeat the unsalted ones) and portion them out into 1/4 a cup into each sandwich baggie. I like to mix them with berries to have a delicious sort of trail mix that is super-healthy.
  • manic_mama13
    Options
    I am on Lamictal, Gabapentin & Lexapro. I have gained 60 lbs. in the last 4 years. It is, in fact, the entire reason I'm on myfitnesspal.com. I've found it extremely difficult to lose weight, especially since the meds make me want to eat all the time. In the same boat and irritated. My old motto was better to be fat and sane than skinny and crazy. :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I think this is a somewhat insensitive comment unless you have actually been on antipsychotics before.

Well, I HAVE taken (and am currently taking) antipsychotics including ALL the atypicals (Abilify, Geodon, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal) at different times, and gained weight with all but Abilify and Geodon - and I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH NOT ENTIRELY BLAMING THE PILLS.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Been on a bunch of meds, gained lots while on lithium. For me ability has been great. Gradually losing what I put on. Drugs can make weight loss and even maintenance hardwork no matter what anyone says.