Nursing moms!!

Options
2»

Replies

• auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm so ready to get my butt in gear!!! I have about 20 lbs prepregnancy but I have about 10 more to lose on top! UGH! I feel like I just have not been very good this time. With 3 kids and teaching full time I'm having a hard time logging and working out...THEN I got on a good workout routine in the morning and broke my baby toe last thursday!!! I'm just ready to fit in my pants again.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to lose weight nursing. When I started to lose weight, my supply plummeted and I didn't even drop calories all that much. So jealous of those of you who could do it! We stopped nursing a few months ago and I'm finally getting the weight loss going. So I can't really help you with the nursing aspect but feel free to add me!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ugh i know how you feel! Having a 3 year old and a 6 month old, its so hard sometimes to get my workout in. Ive tried waking up before they do to workout, but im always so tired so that didn't work. So i do my workouts about 9 am and even tho my 3 yr old is in my way with his toys, and my 6 month old is crying, i just stop real quick and fix it then get right back to my workout. As long as you stay moving, you will burn calories. Getting fit is definitely hard!
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    I wasn't able to lose weight nursing. When I started to lose weight, my supply plummeted and I didn't even drop calories all that much. So jealous of those of you who could do it! We stopped nursing a few months ago and I'm finally getting the weight loss going. So I can't really help you with the nursing aspect but feel free to add me!

thanks!
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while nursing the first time was a fail for me. I totally had the wrong mind set. I'm hoping all this great info will help me with me second when that happens.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    My baby wanted to nurse all the time...so there I was always sitting around nursing and not moving and I was exhausted. Since going back to work and only nursing at when I get home, overnight and the morning I have lost weight. So I guess my situation is a bit different. Good luck to the nursing moms! Let your body be your guide and if your milk supply stays at a good place and your baby gets what they need then you are doing everything right! :)
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My daughter weaned herself about 2 months ago. While breastfeeding I tried very hard to lose the 55 pounds I gained during pregnancy, I started doing P90X and started running again. I added 500 cal for breastfeeding plus whatever calories I burnt during exercise, which was giving me about 2000 cal a day.

It took me on average 3 weeks to lose a pound. Yay.

So I guess I am one of those who don't lose weight nursing. In hindsight, all these efforts (while there were other benefits to my health, I can appreciate those), like waking up at 4:30 am to work out before the first feed, even when my toddler would have night terrors, fighting the nursing cravings, fighting to keep my supply, were NOT worth it.

If there is a baby #3, I promise I will be a better friend to myself. Breastfeeding and taking care of my family was already enough as it is, there was no need to torture me into working out and dieting like I did.

I am not saying this to not be supportive, but if you are struggling to lose weight while breastfeeding... you will have the rest of your life to do it. I still remember feeling not very attractive and be willing to put myself into misery to be back at my pre pregnancy weight but I really hope next time I can put aside those feelings.
  • stacysabaka
    stacysabaka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing a 3 month old and eating roughly 1400 calories a day. I've lost 12 pounds over the last 40 days. I do think I'm eating enough and baby is @ the 92 percentile. When I wake up hungry I'll try to eat more nutrient rich foods during the day. My struggle is working out.... I have three kids and it's a struggle.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    stacysabaka- great job loosing the pounds! i, too eat about 1600 and my baby is up there at least at the 90th percentile.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    bump
  • KimLizzieEarls
    KimLizzieEarls Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsBubba
    MrsBubba Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My pregnancy brought out blood pressure issues. Now I have to lose 20 pounds fast, while nursing beautiful 8 month old daughter, in order to preserve my health. Doc said to drop to 800 cal/day. I don't think he was taking into consideration the fact that I'm nursing. So, I dropped to 1200 and am waiting to see if it affects my milk supply. Here's to working towards my health while still doing what's best for the precious little one!
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs before getting pregnant. When the baby was born I was back up to my pre-weight loss weight. Since the baby was born I've gained 10lbs. I'm nursing, working full time, pumping at work. Milk supply has gone down too.
    I have no time to work out....unless I go right before bedtime and at that point, I'm exhausted and need sleep to just barely function the next day.