Sugar High, Insulin and Weight Loss - Advice Please

Options
I recently watched the video from an ad here on Myfitnesspal - I'm intrigued by the concept of balancing proper sugar intake to keep my body in "fat burning mode" but I don't really want to pay the $47 to find out how to do it.
Is there a nutritionist or anyone who can give me some tips or let me know where I can get this info for free?
One of the "five foods never to eat" was concentrated orange juice or any concentrated juice. I don't just want to start cutting things from my diet without proper advice for substitutes......

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    a quick substitute for orange juice would be raw oranges.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time, energy, or money. Just stay in a calorie deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

^^yep

All of this.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    I can't speak to the actual video, but I can tell you that at least on the juice questions, if blood sugar is an issue for you stay away from juice concentrates. Honestly, I think everyone would be wise to stay away from bottled, manufactured juice full stop, but I'm trying to be understanding :P Like n0ob said, the raw fruit is always, always better. Juice concentrates have absolutely none of the fiber and barely any of the nutrients that the real fruit gives.That, and with concentrate you're paying out the yoo-hoo for 99.99% water. So, pretty much sugar water that'll spike your insulin but good.

The vast majority of people meet their Vitamin C needs 10 times over just in the normal day-to-day of eating, especially if they eat veg, the whole "drink juice for Vitamins!" thing is pretty much a fallacy fabricated by the juice people. Big Juice?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that ads here are just that....ads. They are not aids. They are simply associated with your searches and will try and sell you stuff.

Before you believe anything you read or watch in relation to those ads, do the research yourself.

Weight loss is very simple: calorie deficit + exercise (including heavy lifting) + waiting for the results = success. It's actually pretty easy.

Don't believe phrases like "jumpstart your diet," "fuel your metabolism," "cleanse/detox," "foods to avoid" or the myriad of other weight loss hype. If you want to eat clean, eat clean. If you want to go paleo, go paleo, or vegan, or whatever, just make sure you're doing it because it's what you want to do not what you think you are supposed to do to lose weight or be healthy. Restrictive diets rarely (read: never) work.

Bottom line, eat foods that you will continue to eat for the rest of your life, if you think you will want to include pizza when you reach your goal, include pizza now. Stay as close to your calorie goal as possible, preferably +/- 90% of the time, exercise to help with the calorie deficit and for body composition, eat back at least half of your exercise calories that you burned (MFP already calculates for your deficit, so extra calories burned are designed to be eaten back), and wait for the benefits.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's called Paleo/Primal Diet!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Don't watch videos from ads. There is no fat burning mode and you can't arbitrarily eliminate foods to get there. If you want to limit sugar by eliminating juice, drink water and eat fruit instead. I agree that most commercial juices are only marginally more nutritious than soda- the commercial juicing and bottling (pasteurization) process degrades most of the vitamins available in the whole fruit. Do your own research to decide on foods for yourself- you don't want to base your diet on the claims of people trying to sell you shi...stuff.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that ads here are just that....ads. They are not aids. They are simply associated with your searches and will try and sell you stuff.

Before you believe anything you read or watch in relation to those ads, do the research yourself.

Weight loss is very simple: calorie deficit + exercise (including heavy lifting) + waiting for the results = success. It's actually pretty easy.

Don't believe phrases like "jumpstart your diet," "fuel your metabolism," "cleanse/detox," "foods to avoid" or the myriad of other weight loss hype. If you want to eat clean, eat clean. If you want to go paleo, go paleo, or vegan, or whatever, just make sure you're doing it because it's what you want to do not what you think you are supposed to do to lose weight or be healthy. Restrictive diets rarely (read: never) work.

Bottom line, eat foods that you will continue to eat for the rest of your life, if you think you will want to include pizza when you reach your goal, include pizza now. Stay as close to your calorie goal as possible, preferably +/- 90% of the time, exercise to help with the calorie deficit and for body composition, eat back at least half of your exercise calories that you burned (MFP already calculates for your deficit, so extra calories burned are designed to be eaten back), and wait for the benefits.

^This!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, right....?
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat sugar!!! The only sugars I get are from real fruits!!
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    This is a joke, right....?

Huh? Stupid question (from me)? Not a joke.....I'm new to weight loss....I'm 52 years old and it's my first diet. I lost the first 16 or so pounds pretty easy but it's the last 5 or 8 that's the problem so I'm just researching and I read every bit of info people are giving me. It's been very helpful.
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    Speaking of diet/exercise. I am recording my work-outs. I normally do about 15 min of light exercise - stretches, then about 25 min cardio - treadmill, elliptical or stair climber - then some weights. From what I see on MyFitnessPal, I get calorie credit for the cardio but not for the weights. I'm wondering if it's better to keep the heart rate higher by doing more reps with less weight and that way burn more calories. If I do this straight from the cardio, then it's easy to keep my heart rate up....make sense?

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Put your weight lifting in the cardio section (not intuitive) and you will get a calorie burn 'credit' from it. in your numbers.

Advice: when you lift, focus on lifting...then do some cardio if you want. You should not try to turn a lifting session into a cardio session. Lifting is not about how many calories you burn, its about body composition and maintaining your LBM.