Calories Burned From Exercise (Database) Question

Options
Why are the calories burned shown on the MFP database so much higher than what the treadmill or elliptical machine says at the gym? I normally do 45-50 minutes on the elliptical at 80% HR (150 lbs, 38 YO, average HR 155) - and the machine usually shows 350 or so and the database here is so much more generous! I record the lower number of course, but wonder why such a discrepancy? Any thoughts? TIA.

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The elliptical that I work out shows MORE than MFP, but like you I record the lower number! So, who knows!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP bases on averages using your height and weight and does not take into account heart rate. If the machine checks your heart rate it will be much more accurate.
  • BoyMomCar
    BoyMomCar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The machines are based on a general body weight and height. Unless you enter your weight then the machine still doesn't know how tall you are. I would think that this database would be more accurate. It calculates your own weight and height you typed in on your profile.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the machine is correct? I burn about 300 in 20-25 min on the elliptical. Your burn should be higher. Not that Heart Rate monitors are precise, but they should give you a more accurate guesstimate. Do you have one?
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    lvfunandfit - I don't have an HRM, but the machine does (I average about 155-160 and go about 6.5 mph) and I do get the same results from more than one machine (same brand though). Weird, eh?
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Different machines and databases will tell you different things but some will seem substantially different because some only count the amount extra that you burn ie they don't include the calories it takes just to be alive during that time, which of course you are also burning but are supposed to be counted separately in the MFP calorie counts. I agree that MFP is quite generous with cals burnt.
  • edmanski
    edmanski Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree. MFP Seems high.

Metabolism, body size and heart rate are important in computing calorie burn but at best it's usually a "guesstimate" for every "body" burns differently.

So what I do is stay on the low side. Because in the end? The only thing that matters is if I'm losing weight or keeping fit, etc so there's no reason to overestimate burn if that makes you put on weight...