Almost at the halfway mark but....

Options
trollsb
trollsb Posts: 35 Member
I have lost some so far, but after starting to read the forums and seeing bmr, bmi, tdee and what not I started looking about and doing some number crunching.

First however, pics - I have tried to pick ones with the same dresses

28334033_187.jpg28334033_3654.jpg
the first one was just after I started myfitnesspal and the 2nd was almost 2 months ago - only 1kg (2pounds) more than i am now

28334033_2243.jpg28334033_7760.jpg
the first one is about 6kg (13 pounds down from start) and the 2nd was from bit more than about 2 months ago

28334033_1590.jpg
and before I started a bit below my peak weight I'm about 92kg (202 pounds)

I just plug all my numbers into MFP and trusted iit to generate a sensible calorie goal and what not. It started on 1480 I think then after I lost some weight it dropped down to 1380 and now to 1330. I did try for a little bit with it set to the 1.5 pounds a week and it made it 1200 per day but then I realised that was the absolute minimum and I tend to try and keep just under the goal so I put it back as it was.

In 5 months I have lost 14kg (30.8 pounds). Starting from peak 94kg (207pounds) down to about 80kg (176pounds). I have with that lost most of the hail damage from my reverse side as well.

I started dieting at the same time as I quit smoking because people always say you will gain weight if you quit - so I am like well I will show them ;) I still use the nicorette gum however, it kills food cravings just as well as smoking did.

I rarely have sugar drinks, I stick to diet coke. I am not a big alcohol drinker so no issues there and I am scared of the number that come with ordinary bread so I stick with ultrathin mountain bread wraps and the little biscotte toasts which are only 36 kcal each - and I currently mostly live on those, with paté, crushed chilli or yoghurts cheese on them with great handfuls of rocket as filler, and just tend to have lots of tiny meals.

My activity level is sedentary and I am pretty generous on what I count as exercise, particularly when I am getting low on numbers and want something not so low in energy to eat. I tend to estimate what different things weigh if it's not just a single entry thing in the database, I do weigh stuff sometimes then estimate based off what I remember that weighing before and double check myself at times.

I don't real care much about the breakdown of where calories came from, as I figure if I need to be burning everything I take in since I have a deficit, it won't matter all that much. I did start making an effort to get more protein that MFP suggested as after a month into the diet I was feeling like I was falling apart, upping the protein helped with that.

My skin has been crap since I started all this, but I was reading about quitting smoking doing that to some people, and that weight loss releases female hormones stored in fat - I generally feel greasier than I did, i figure maybe it's like I am sweating out some of the fat that is mobilising itself. I started a deep cleanser like I used as a teenage and my skin has stabilised pretty much.

I was dancing a few times a week and when I work it is fairly energetic, but the dance studio has been closed and opens again soonish.

So I'm quite happy how it's been going, then I started looking at the numbers

I used http://www.bmi-calculator.net and plugged in all my numbers and came up with the following numbers and ratings;
(80kg, 31yo, F, 157cm/5'2", waist 85cm, hip 110.5cm, wrist 15.5cm, forearm 32cm)

BMI 32.19 - Obese Class 1
BMR 1566.3
Waist to Hip Ratio 0.77 - Low Risk
Body Fat Percentage 26.65% - Acceptable

So the TDEE thingy should be 1.2x BMR = 1879
Using the body fat percentage I should be 21.32kg (47pounds) fat and 58.68kg (129pounds) lean mass
so if I was aiming for the bottom end of fitness rating 20% fat - my goal should be 70kg (154pounds) not 65kg (143pounds) I currently have set.

I did originally have 70kg as the goal and then since it was going well I thought, hey I can go better than that.

What I am wondering about however is that if my BMR is 1566 - why MFP thinks 1330 is a good idea? If I have been well below BMR no wonder I have been losing weight. Since if I have understood right from reading other people's posts then I should be over the 1566 but below the 1879 TDEE?

Possibly my generous what counts as exercise, and maybe underestimating portions has meant I have been anyways and should just keep going as is. I am worried as the loss seems slower again after gaining 3 kg (6.6 pounds) after staying with grandparents over Christmas and not logging anything as my grandmother thinks dripping is good for cooking everything and all vegetable should be drowned in butter. That said I have lost what I gained and another half kilo ish in the month and a bit since, so perhaps it isn't all that slow after all I am just desperate to see the scales say below 80kg again.

Should I change goal back up from 65 because 70kg will be healthier?
Should I adjust the daily calorie goal based off the other calculations or will I be risking what has already been working?

Replies

• herlittlegreendress
    Options
    Fantastic work!! Thank you for sharing your story and the info on how you've done it!

Also, congrats on quitting (smoking) on top of it!! Amazing.
  • trollsb
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :)

Quitting smoking and determined not to gain even more weight helped as motivation as me mentioning my intent to quit just had everyone telling me wow you'll gain so much weight.
  • poopaloop11
    Options
    I have to work on the quite smokeing part . But you look more than amazing . :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Congrats :-D you can really see a difference - esp in the waist.

As to your questions my two cents are:

" What I am wondering about however is that if my BMR is 1566 - why MFP thinks 1330 is a good idea? If I have been well below BMR no wonder I have been losing weight. Since if I have understood right from reading other people's posts then I should be over the 1566 but below the 1879 TDEE"

MFP just sets cals based on the maths that 3500 cals = 1lb fat therefore to lose 1lb a week they take 500 cals off your daily calories amount to a minimum of 1200 cals a day - it's not great maths IMHO.

Yes you should eat no less that 1566 cals and up to the TDEE.

This thread explains it all wonderfully:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I started at 1200cals, hatred it and then did this - upped to 1500 and lost almost a stone over 5 months, I've since reset my ticker for my new year new start and to account for the lbs I put back on over christmas :-/ I was much happier and losing slowly means your more likely to keep it off.

"Should I adjust the daily calorie goal based off the other calculations or will I be risking what has already been working?"

Yes - and give it at least 6 weeks for your body to adjust - plus you really need to weigh your food and stop guestimating - it will make all the difference in the long run.

"Should I change goal back up from 65 because 70kg will be healthier?"

I would just see how you feel at 70Kg - in the end it is just a number and you may be happy or want to lose a few more kg - only time will tell.

Obv this is all my opinion - so feel free to ignore. But you hae done a great job - esp quitting smoking at the same time. Be proud and celebrate your achievement :-D
  • trollsb
    Options
    Yeh read that post it what made me start thinking about numbers in the first place.

I have since upped to 1560 and stopped logging BS exercise.

Whilst I am a weight all the time record the mornings I like the look of person - never mind the 6 weeks wait - I'm down about a kilo since changing already :)
  • trollsb
    Options
    I changed up, and nothing happened for a month so I went back to doing what I was, and it all started coming off again.

side by side, before and march in same dress - but I prefer the bigger version of me for this, some have said it is the pose.

28334033_6598.jpg

and one from today

28334033_6873.jpg

and a comparison composite

combodiet.jpg
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You look SO good hon! You should be super proud of your progress :smile:.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good job! That's fantastic! Quitting cigarette AND losing weight!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!