Counting Calorie in an Avocado

Options
I weigh out some of my foods on a scale before I log them to MyFitnessPal.
When logging avacados should I weigh it out before or after I remove the skin and seed?
I am using the item in the database called "Fresh - Avacado, Hass and Florida" which has an avocado at 240 calories per 150g.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    unless you plan on eating the skin and pit, id weigh it without them. usually with fruit entries, the info is just for the edible portions
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    I peel and pit before weighing.
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cut your avocado in half, take out the seed and then remove the "meat" from the outer skin. That is the part that you need to weigh. As for the amount of calories, I use the following information: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_in_avocado

I hope this helps.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ is really the best place to get calorie info for anything - and thats where i always go if i think an entry on here is iffy
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    I try to keep a range in mind when thinking of weight/portion. Since avocados come in various sizes and the range in calories is between 125 and 160 per half.....I would just eyeball and estimate if you have a small medium or large avocado....then make an educated guess.....then compare to what the database will come up with. This should keep you within a few calories of your true count, even without a food scale.
  • sirrip
    sirrip Posts: 2
    Options
    I did some more research and think you're correct. Only counts the edible weight.
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I entered several items into the database. One of them is avocado. You can search under " www.nutritionvalue.org" in the database. It says 1 cup cubed for 240 calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a range in mind when thinking of weight/portion. Since avocados come in various sizes and the range in calories is between 125 and 160 per half.....I would just eyeball and estimate if you have a small medium or large avocado....then make an educated guess.....then compare to what the database will come up with. This should keep you within a few calories of your true count, even without a food scale.

Why would she eyeball it when she has a food scale that she's willing to use?