an appology to moms

Options
I can admit when I'm wrong. And boy was I ever wrong about this one!

I used to read posts from new moms that went something like this, "my daughter is 3 months old now and I'm finally getting back on track" and I used to think to myself, come on lady you're home all day - throw that baby in the stroller and take a darn walk or something.

and then we adopted an infant.

holy carpoly!

yeah ok I get it now. sleep? what's that? and no one tells you it takes a mininum of 6 hours to get ready to leave the house regardless of whether or not you're actually going somewhere nice or "just" taking a walk. that is if you have the energy to do more than hold/change/feed the baby!

I was wrong. I had no idea how wrong I was but I know now.

Our boy will be 7 weeks old this Sunday. He's a joy. and the ONLY reason I haven't gained a ton of weight is that I've had plenty of days where I didn't eat anything until 2 p.m. But now I'm back to work part time and I'm trying to fit in work out time when I can - it's hit or miss but I feel SOOOOO much better when I get to exercise.

so happy mother's day to all the exhausted moms out there from a new mom who now knows better!

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs. I certainly feel for you and all new moms. Somehow you will get through. It will be a rough ride but one well worth it! I am also very thankful that I am past all that. My twins will be 16 years old in 3 weeks.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hehe, thank you and grats on your new baby! I miss having a wee one and nursing every 2-3 hours (day and night) is plenty of exercise for most moms during those first few months.

I hope you have a wonderful first mother's day. :flowerforyou:
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Congrats on your precious baby boy!

I hate to tell you but as soon as they start sleeping through the night they tend to start teething so sleep becomes a thing of the past again...my son will be 18 months next week and he still keeps me sleep deprived! But boy does he light up my world! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When does it end?? My daughter is 3-1/2 and still wears me out! But I wouldn't trade her in for the world.

My step-son is going on 12 soon and drives me nuts with his lack of organization and his need to be the center of attention.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Awwww! What a sweet post to read today! Congrats on your new addition! It gets easier, then hard, then easier, then hardER etc. LOL

I remember thinking "I won't make the same mistakes with my second pregnancy - I'm going to eat healthy and not have so much weight to lose this time". Ha! That definately didn't happen :)

Blame life :)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Really cute. I had 3 kids before my older sister ever had one. She knew everything lol. I am so glad my nephew is the little **** I so hoped he would be haha.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new addition to your family.

I have been working in the early childhood career for most of my adult life. I always tell parents that once you thin you have them figured out and on a routine, they change the rules on you!:laugh: :laugh: But it is never dull or boring that way.
  • sunnikim
    sunnikim Posts: 30
    Options
    Congratulations & Happy Mother's Day to you!

I have a 4 yr. old and a 3 month old and life is so chaotic right now. Sleep, exercise, eating, relaxation......it's so sporadic that you want to shout it from the rooftop when any of it happens. And if you start to see a pattern develop, you feel like you've won the lottery! I've been back to work full-time for about 6 weeks now and have a feeling that any sort of routine or schedule is quite a way down the road yet. I'm hoping that MFP will help keep me a bit more disciplined than I otherwise would have been at this point.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ya', it's work ain't it? I did the SAHD/Househusband thing for a while. I was glad to get back to work outside the house so I could get some rest. My son is 19 now, SAHD with his 5mo son, and I'm pretty proud of him. It's a lotta work, ain't it? :laugh:
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: so true. Congrats on your new addition.

I agree it gets easier and then harder. but it all worth it. :love:
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you and Happy !st mother's day to you! I remember my first mother's day 9 years ago. I have had many sleep deprived days in my life as a Mother. It does get easier but then there are those every day trials that a mother goes through but it is so worth it! My youngest is eight months old and he use to sleep through the night but with in the last few months he hasn't and has started to wake up 2-3 times a night. However I love having a baby in the house. Not to say that I don't love my other children and enjoy them as well but there is something about a baby in the house that just makes the world a little bit brighter. :laugh:
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    haha! I always thought the same thing when my sister or friends would say that they just don't have time to make dinner or keep the house clean after their babies were born. I thought - you're home all day, you're just not managing your time well.

Then, I had my own baby, and yeah... I was SOOOOOO out in left field! No time to eat, much less make dinner. And housecleaning? What's that? I now get up at 5:30 if I want to take a jog, so my husband is home with the baby (both of them are still sleeping). BUT - that is SO rare, because I've also been up at 12:00am breastfeeding, and I might have been awaken at 3am with some crying...

but it's fantastic, and I wouldn't trade motherhood for anything!

Happy Mother's Day!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Yep it's TOTALLY worth it! thanks and happy mother's day to you all (you too casper!)
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    My twins turned 17 years old a month ago. Those were the days, huh? When I had my third two years later, I couldn't believe how easy it was .. only ONE of everything .. it was Heaven! Even with two 2-year olds in tow! :tongue:
    Thanks for the laughs. I certainly feel for you and all new moms. Somehow you will get through. It will be a rough ride but one well worth it! I am also very thankful that I am past all that. My twins will be 16 years old in 3 weeks.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby!!!

Yes! mommy-hood is the most tiring job ever--But the most rewarding and fulfilling job I've ever had!

I work full time and I often go to work sleep deprived... darn teething! I have a 3 yr old who still wakes up 1-2 times/night and a 15 month old who is cutting her molars right now. Caffeine is my best friend besides the gym after work!

You'll figure out a schedule for getting the gym in. Happy Mother's day to you! =)
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your family, and Happy Mother's Day! I can especially relate to your statement about not eating until 2PM .. I remember doing that OFTEN with my babes! But it sounds like you have a healthy outlook and approach to your new life with baby and you're getting back on track with your work. Just let your new routine settle into place and enjoy! :flowerforyou:
    Our boy will be 7 weeks old this Sunday. He's a joy. and the ONLY reason I haven't gained a ton of weight is that I've had plenty of days where I didn't eat anything until 2 p.m. But now I'm back to work part time and I'm trying to fit in work out time when I can - it's hit or miss but I feel SOOOOO much better when I get to exercise.

so happy mother's day to all the exhausted moms out there from a new mom who now knows better!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yep, kids really rachet it up when it comes to challenges in life. I've got 4 of them all under 7 years old, 6, 4, 2, and a 1 mo old, and it's quite the challenge. Part of the reason I'm trying to get in shape is b/c I can't run on coffee forever and both me and my wife need some renewed strength and energy to help these little ones grow up to be decent people.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When does it end?? My daughter is 3-1/2 and still wears me out! But I wouldn't trade her in for the world.

My step-son is going on 12 soon and drives me nuts with his lack of organization and his need to be the center of attention.

I am 44 and my mother tells me I still make her lose sleep. :bigsmile:
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    I am a single mother of two Italian Greyhounds. I adopted the female six months before I kicked her doggy daddy out. During those six months, we made her sleep in her kennel. I was up every night (the ex slept through everything) cleaning her and her poopy kennel and doing doggy laundry. We would sleep the remainder of each night on the sofa with her inside my sweatshirt. I was the walking dead at work, and thought I would never survive, but it was an incredible time of bonding for us. I think I'll leave work now so that I can go home and hug her.

Congratulations on your adoption, and best of luck to you!