Food Diary/Work out/MFP Criticism Please

Options
I was wondering if any would be so kind to provide me with constructive criticism on my food diary, and overall pointers on how to make the best out of MFP.

I currently weigh 169.8. I've lost approximately 6.3 pounds since January 9th. I started out at 1200 calories a day, which was what MFP suggested. I started reading Dan's In Place of a Road Map last week and have adjusted my calories to 1675, which is about 25% of my TDEE. Since I ate 1200 calories for about two weeks, I'm slowly getting up to 1675. I'm generally full around 1300-1400 calories, so I've been trying to increase my cals slowly, but surely. I drink anywhere from 64 - 96 ounces of water a day. I don't track my water in take because I'm constantly drinking it.

I was working out 7 days initially- 5 days on my elliptical for 30 minutes or doing Zumba Wii for 45 minutes; 2 days going up 10 flights of stairs while at work. I slowed that down to 5 days a week doing cardio, but I gave myself a grade 2 sprain this past Friday and can't work out at all. A few days after the sprain, I tried P90X's Shoulders and Arms with resistance bands and no impact Kundalini yoga, but my ankle and leg ached with both. So, I've not done any work outs for the last two days.

Is there anything else I should be doing to my diet or work out schedule? I feel like I won't be successful unless I work out, but I know I need to give myself time to heal before I make it worse. These last few days haven't been so great eating choice wise, since I'm the primary cooker in the house and have been incapacitated. There's been a lot of eating out, but I've tried to make "healthier" decisions.

Replies

• misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm not sure for what exercise to do...maybe just sit down and do arm weights, lay down and do leg raises etc...something that doesn't put pressure on your ankle but still allows you to do some sort of exercise...

As far as food goes, I believe this is the most important part.
    Some suggestions,
    For your coffee use skim milk instead of cream
    Stop with the fast food for sure (I know your stuck with that for now, Can someone go grocery shopping for you?) Can you order a salad with dressing on the side and a chicken sandwich but skip the bun?

Try eating mini meals instead of 3 large meals a day, a protein carb and fat...yogurt, small (11) handful of almonds and a piece of fruit.

Its a struggle but don't give up!! Let yourself heal and just try to focus on diet for now.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would use fat free milk in your coffee instead of creamer (1/4 cup)
    From you diary, it looks like you would be better off eating 2 orders of chicken from BK instead of chicken and a burger
    Always have a plan - plan what you will eat the day before so when you get to the drive thru you can make healthier choices
    You can even order a kids meal (skip the drink) to save calories
    Carry apple slices (or buy some from mcdonalds - each pack only has 15 calories) or other healthy snacks in your car
    Try to eat smaller and more frequent meals throughout the day

All advice I am willing to follow :) Hope it helps!
  • misskym
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!

Today's lunch was a spur of the moment, so eating a burger and nuggets definitely wasn't part of the plan (or something I usually do!).

I understand using skim milk would shave 3g of fat from my coffee, but after giving it some thought, I've decided to give myself this one "luxury" a day, especially since 2 tbsp of half and half is enough for my two cups of morning pick me up. I've tried to make other changes to my breakfast in order to accommodate my half and half, such as going down from 2 eggs to 1 egg.
  • raynavee
    Options
    As long as you're under your calorie goal for the day, it's not really too big of a deal what you eat. If you like the cream, keep it. In all honesty, trying to overwhelm yourself with so many changes isn't always the best. Of course, when you're able, stop the fast food. It's got too much sodium in it, which makes you retain water. I just had surgery, so I know how it feels to not be able to do your exercises. You kinda get the stir crazies! In my case, ALL exercise was off the table (abdominal surgery will do that to people), but you can always try some chair exercises. Try looking for some online xD
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you were a pirate, you'd have scurvey. As it is, you could do with more fruits and veggies.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    what is your loss each week? I am at .5 pounds a week......
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Along with everything that has been said, here is a topic that might help as well...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd say that eating 1,300 or 1,400 calories is probably ok, especially if you're not very active. Keep going on increasing fruits and veggies and exercise whenever you can!!
  • rcolours7
    Options
    fruits - any of them any time of day

veggies - any of them any time of day

beans/legumes - any of them, great for lunch/dinner

chicken/turkey - @ 2-3x's a week

pasta /whole grain / rice 3-4x's a week

dairy - seemed okay w/what u have per day

processed foods/sugars - try to stay away from as many as possible w/in ur diet. yes, pasta-whole grain is processed, but usually used/paired w/ meats & veggies

get the book "eat to live" by dr. joel fuhrman - his info will be helpful as well

if you can - do a smoothie instead for lunch - do ur best to stop eating out for lunch. maybe make a 1x week thing & use the $$$ spent on eating out into getting more healthier foods from the grocery store.

hope this helps & have a great day.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone, never give up the half & half! As long as you aren't dumping it in two real tbsp will not ruin your weight loss. Fat is satiating, so you could prevent other "bad" food choices by sticking with the real deal. Also coffee just plain tastes amazing with half & half.
  • misskym
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds within the first 10 days, but now I'm losing anywhere between 0.4 - 0.8 per week. My next weigh in is Saturday, and I haven't weighed in since I sprained my ankle.

I include a lot of vegetables in my recipes, but I don't list all of the ingredients individually- I create a recipe that isn't uploaded to the database. I primarily eat romaine lettuce, tomatoes, black or pinto beans, mini bell peppers, mushrooms, and celery. I'm trying to eat more fruit. In the summer, I devour blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and grapes. Now, I'm only really eating apples because my summer fruits are too costly (for us) in the off seasons.
  • misskym
    Options
    @hbm616 - I agree! After my two cups of coffee with 2 real tbsps, I'm satisfied for hours. I used to drink the flavored creamers, but after having my daughter, I can't stand the taste of it. Half and half in my coffee is the only way I can have it now!