Runners- Consult!! Half Marathon Training and bad Achilles

Options
Hi guys! Long explanation coming but bear with me please!

I recently embarked on a mission to run a half marathon. Completing this race is extremely important to me for a variety of personal and health reasons. I found a sensible training plan for "beginners" (people who start off just barely comfortable at about three miles) and I have really stuck to it and been really proud of myself for doing so. Its a 12 week plan where the Saturday long run increases by one mile each week from 3 the first week to 12 two weeks before the race (then 5 the week before, then race day is the following Saturday, etc.) This Saturday will be the 8 miler for me, to give you an idea about where I am in the plan.

I ran cross country in high school and have maintained jogging on and off since then (I'm 24) which is why when I started this plan I was out of shape but able to do about a five k in a slow run. However, back in the day towards the end of cross country I developed some pretty bad achilles tendonitis. An hour or two after races I could seriously barely make it up the stairs. I saw a doctor whose advice was "this is never going away as long as you still run this much. All you can do is take a ton of ibuprofen."

Well when my running dropped way off from cross country levels the tendonitis went away. But (you guessed it) LO AND BEHOLD.....its coming back. Still on the same leg, etc. This week in particular is when it has started to really become painful. It is not as bad as it was back then by any means, but I just am so determined I MUST run this race and I will not be fully trained unless I stick to this plan.....am I crazy if I just try and run through it with painkillers? This race means SO much to me personally and to just stop training now would completely break my heart. If I can do nothing but elliptical and weights for a YEAR after this race I won't care as long as I finish 13.1 on March 16....

So....have any runners dealt with this type of injury during a training plan? Am I a nut job? Anyone want to encourage me to just chase the dream and suck it up and run through it? HALP!

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first HM, and understand your determination. Are you running the whole time, or doing a run/walk cycle? The doc is right - when you have an injured area, rest is needed to heal it. However, if you could consider the Galloway run/walk plan you may be able to get through. Now before you poopoo it as not really 'running' please note that my husband got his best time EVER for a HM with this method. Check it out, give it a try. I love it personally, and it may help you make it through the HM. Good luck
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first half about 2 weeks ago. I'm currently dealing with a hurt Achilles' tendon.. Let your body rest. That's the best advice I can give. I'm kinda new to this long distance training, but I do know a runner needs to let their injuries heal before continuing training.

When I was running I didn't even feel all my muscles Cramping. It's once I stopped that everything on me was hurting, from my blisters on my feet to my tendons. I know how dedicated a person can be when they are training for races like this. It's heart breaking to come so far, & have an injury. Maybe you can see if "A Runners World" has any articles on this type if injury. That's my go to when I have running concerns!

Good luck, & feel free to add me if u wish. I hope it all works out for u! ????
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation, when I ran in college my right achilles started to hurt to the point I could barely walk, I started ice therapy, 20 minutes submerged in ice water, toes wrapped in a foot scuba suit, after icing, I had friction rubs done by the sports therapist and that seemed to work. I was running again immediately but it always comes back when I start again. I was 34 then and two years later at 36 I PR'd in a HM, 1:25, not bad for an old guy. For the rubs, after ice she pour ointment of some sort on my achilles then firmly used thumb pressure up the achilles for about 10 minutes.
  • Ind3p3dent
    Ind3p3dent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I am also training for my first half marathon! I am scheduled to run on March 24th :happy: Just out of curiosity have you tried any kind of "Barefoot" running? I don't know for sure that it would help the tendinitis but I know that it helped me to overcome my asthma, and it helped my husband overcome shin splints. The basic principle is that when you use a minimalist running shoe you strengthen the muscles in your leg and have a more natural stride. I read that regular running shoes cushion your legs and cause more injury. Its a little late in the game to change your shoes now but for the future it might help :smile: Anyway.. Good Luck!! I'm sure that you can do it!