cheat day?

Options
Anybody do cheat days? I'm having an awful sweet tooth today. What do you guts do on cheat days?

Replies

• eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    I don't do a whole day, I do a meal once a week. And I eat pretty much whatever I have missed that week. And wine.....there is ALWAYS wine!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    one cheat meal a week for me. Not a whole day but one meal a week. i eat whatever i want, it keeps me sane and not resentful.
  • brigeweeks
    brigeweeks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing a cheat day once a month if my weigh in was good. Not pigging out, just eat what I have been craving the most.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't really... I kinda had one earlier this month when I drank with my girlfriend. I still let myself have some of the yummy foods though, just healthier versions and proper portions.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    one meal a week for me, and its usually supper, tonight i had wings. =)
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Amen!:smile:
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    one cheat meal a week for me. Not a whole day but one meal a week. i eat whatever i want, it keeps me sane and not resentful.

This...but with portion control. Sanity is necessary and most certified dietitians and nutritionist will suggest the same to keep from binging and falling off the "wagon". Some people do a whole day, but I have mobility issues, so I limit it to a meal.

Good luck!
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    Anybody do cheat days? I'm having an awful sweet tooth today. What do you guts do on cheat days?

I think a big part of it is the name? I don't consider things "cheat." It makes it sound like I have to hide it or I am ashamed. If you are putting in the work you deserve a little something or reward (maybe going out) and it doesn't have to be food related.

I think a whole day for "cheat" is a lot and a slippery slope. Maybe a piece of candy or if you know you are going to mom's her famous cake. I think the key to this is planning. If you know you are going out on Saturday, cut back during the day or week.

Also if you have a sweet tooth which I HAVE A CRAZY ONE, there are ways to make it work without "cheating" like greek yogurt with fruit and honey and freeze (like ICE CREAM!) or dark chocolate... or protein cake (had that tonight!!).

Good luck!!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i personally dont do cheat days. only because i never quite know when the temptations will be there and its only human nature to want to have something bad here and there. i leave "cheat days" for special occasions when i know im going to go over on my calories. examples like dinners out where ya know your going to drink a beer or eat wings, or a bday party where you know there is snacks and cake. you cant control when those events occur and im not going to be that person on a diet and deprive myself. and even on a cheat day, i will log and exercise.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use Sundays as my free day; I allow one meal to be something fun and away from my meal plan. It helps stay in line during the rest of the week.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal, not a day, pick a meal once a week, its something to look forward to and have what ever you want, if you have it earlier in the day the better chance you have to wear it off, this cheat meal is something new i learned, and i like it.:bigsmile: Thanks Scooby!

Cheers:drinker:
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    ALSO one thing that the Biggest Loser said that I agree... its ok to treat yourself every once in a while, but DON'T keep it in the house. If you have to leave teh house and get it, thats one thing, but having in the house tempting you 24/7 is dangerous!
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    About every 2 weeks or so, hubby and I will go out to lunch or dinner. I am mindful of what I get, but I get what I want usually a small cut of meat and include veggies and/or salad and still log it all. Keeps me sane especially if I have been craving something like a steak or prime rib.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I didnt plan on a cheat day but I was under in calories by 100-400 everday and i went out to dinner last night and I picked stuff I usually wouldnt (not really bad stuff but just more than I would usually eat) and it put me over by 500 cals. I didnt feel bad though because my net for the week was under. So maybe if you make sure your week is under then you can go over by that much
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I allowed myself a little something something after each 5 lbs lost. For myself, I never felt the urge to have to allow myself some latitude on 1 day a week. I've worked too hard for the first 6 days to ruin it on the 7th.

That being said, I understand why people would allow themselves to go a little over for 1 meal (treat themselves to a small dessert, or something for lunch/dinner that is higher in calories than they would normally eat). I dont think there's much harm in that. However, if that "cheat" meal turns into a "cheat" day where all day long you eat, and eat, you are setting yourself to fail.

For example, let's say you have it set to lose 1 lb/week. All things equal, you are looking to burn 500 calories more than you consume per day. Let's assume you do everything perfectly for those first 6 days and you have a deficit of 3000 calories for the week. If on that final day, you over eat by 2000 calories, you've thrown back half of what you worked hard to achieve. Granted, you'll still lose about a little than less than 1/2 lb for the week, but why work so hard for 6 days to throw it away on the 7th? On the 7th day, you over eat by only 500-1000 calories, then you still have a deficit of 2500-3000 calories for the week which means you still lost close to 1 lb for the week and that "treat" didn't ruin all of your hard work.

Ultimately, it's a to each their own. I will not go the rest of my life not having something sweet. The key is to do it rarely and not let it lead you back down the path to resuming your unhealthy lifestyle. For some, that is allowing themselves a food item at 1 meal. For others it means an entire day of endulgence. Others, like myself, do that rarely (However, now that I'm at or near my goal weight, I do allow myself a little something each week since I'm trying to maintain). When my goal I was to lose weight, I did not treat myself to something weekly.