To the Runners/ Athletes

Options
What do you do to maintain your fit physique from training in an offseason?

During my marathon season I am in amazing shape. Once the off season hits, I am still incredibly active but put on weight and get a little soft. I get most of my cardio in the winter from skiing and spinning instead of running since its so cold.

I hear weight lifting is great for women, but it seems that its not enough to keep the pounds off with my current diet (which yes, does include carbs) even when I am watching the caloric intake. Do you all change your diet drastically?

Just curious what works for everyone!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What off season? I run year round.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't have an offseason. I change the focus of the workouts but keep the running mileage fairly consistant throughout the year.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Make sure what you eat in your "off-season" is still balanced against the changed activity level. If you are suddenly training less, you need to eat less as well.

Though most people who see my winter training program think I train more in the winter than I do in the summer... which might have some basis to it.
  • correr82
    correr82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess I didnt specify - I live in Vermont, where it gets cold and dark. I dont mind the cold winter weather running but the dark puts me indoors on a treadmill which equals lower mileage. I run year round but my mileage is lower for sure. Meanwhile I ski more. :)

Thanks cyclink - just curious what your winter training looks like?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Make sure what you eat in your "off-season" is still balanced against the changed activity level. If you are suddenly training less, you need to eat less as well.
    ^ This.
    I don't take a very long off-season, but when I do reduce my mileage, I have to reduce my food intake too.
  • mvcartagena
    Options
    I definitely am nowhere near where you are at with mileage, if you do marathons! That is very impressive. I have changed my focus in the last year with my running. Currently I run only twice a week... low mileage, mainly working on hill work. I basically run uphill for about 20 minutes. Then flats/speed for the last 8-10 minutes. I run outdoors once a week and on a treadmill once a week. There is no doubt in my mind that running on a treadmill seems "easier" than running outdoors. I also mix in the rest of the week with stairmill twice one day (HIIT on the stairmill) (that machine is a you know what) and spin class twice. I focus a lot on weight training as well. I wonder if you'd find one of those options helpful to you for indoor cardio/fitness when it is too dang cold to want to run outdoors.
  • mvcartagena
    Options
    I am definitely needing to work on my diet most of all...I have a weight loss goal of 12 pounds. Curious what do you all eat before running workouts or races?