Your Expert Advice Needed on Getting back to a Strong Body

Options
I want a strong body. Six packs would be nice, but not something that I am after in the near future (12-16 weeks).

This is my roadmap. Any and all advice is appreciated...Will it work, or can I do it in a more effective manner?

STEP 1: As I am 207 lbs now, first get to 184 - 188 lbs using the cal earned/burnt and exercises (cardio, abs, core) for 12 wks. I will not concentrate on getting excellent arms or abs or legs

STEP 2: 6 weeks of abs, concentration with less on above

STEP 3: 6 weeks of arms, concentration with less on above

Cos of my work related travel, unfortunately, trying to concentrate on all the 3 things at the same time, which I know can be done based on the workout chosen. I do not want to add more physical stress on top of the work and travel related stress. Just being realistic to myself :)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• bungholesoup
    Options
    Hey its good that youre making a map, and this is just my advice.

For step 1, getting down about 20 pounds in 12 weeks is very doable and could be easier than you think, just remember that if youre a beginner as you progress the cleaner your diet will get you better results and consistency is key.

I think you should find or make a balanced workout program instead of focusing on particular body parts. I feel that doing that could leave you looking uneven or unproportional. I know the six pack is desirable but doing a million crunches is not needed. Since i see that you are busy you can start with going to the gym 3 days a week (go every other day)

Day 1- Pulling movements, back and bicep workouts
    Day 2- Pushing, chest, triceps and shoulders
    Day 3- legs

As far as cardio I would add them in on the days you dont go to the gym. If you are overweight and have a lot of pressure on your joints I would stay away from jogging or running until you lose some of the weight. Riding a bike or walking at a moderate pace for 20-30 minutes really is sufficient enough. As far as programs I might look into doing more power lifting at first since the intensity of the workouts if done correctly will recruit your abs to work (heavy deadlifts, squats, bench presses) and you wont have to do as much ab exercises. You dont need the greatest program, just get a workout that pushes you a bit, the most of your concern should be your diet when trying to see your abs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You don't get abs by doing ab exercises (although, it doesn't hurt), you get abs by decreasing your body fat to make those muscles visible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    You'd burn more calories working legs and back (which also works your core and arms) than just abs and arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You'd burn more calories working legs and back (which also works your core and arms) than just abs and arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS.
  • rajanchawla
    rajanchawla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @bungholesoup, thankyou for your advice. I am actually doing it 6 days a week, even though I am traveling. I do Cardio 3 days, with interval training. Unfortunately, for the life of me cannot get used to the gym bike :(.

One question: I always find I dont have enough energy to do long durations of powerlifting. I think I have never managed to go above 25lbs :). What do you suggest?

This is what I have in mind. What do you think?

Day 1: Run + Upper mission exercises
    Day 2: Lower + Abs
    Day 3: Run + Upper
    Day 4: Lower + Abs
    Day 5: Run + Upper
    Day 6: Lower + Abs

@justsomerando: I agree with you that I would not get abs by doing just the ab exercises, hence the plan of loosing weight first and then pushing on the abs.... You don't think that is a good plan? Any advice on changing it to get good abs?

@ninerbuff: You think the above plan fits in with your advice of working the whole body?