Protein snacks?

Other than eggs?? Any ideas? My protein is always low and I need to have a protein at every snack, ideas?

Replies

• ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    2-4oz of lean meat depending on your calorie goal. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese
  • Nuts/nut butters/nut milk, avocados, beef jerky (low to no sodium/no sugar), and smoothie with added protein powder are a few that come to mind.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Beef jerky, greek yogurt, nuts, hummus,etc
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Protein powders and bars are always awesome snack options. Some are really delicious.

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both fantastic sources of protein.

If you're not opposed to having meat in your snacks:

I also like to make chicken snack wraps. I use a small flatbread with 6 oz of chicken, a little spinach and some steak sauce which comes out to be about 200 calories.

Tuna with pickles is another great option - but I tend to get sick of that quickly.

Shrimp stir fried in some veggies can be under 200 calories and very filling.

I hope you're not a vegetarian >.< otherwise all my options are pretty useless, haha. You could do veggie burger patties though - usually those have a decent amount of protein in them as well.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Beef jerky. I buy online from a company that minimally processes their meat. Can't remember the name right now... phooey!

I thought about making my own (using Alton Brown's method), but it just wasn't cost effective.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Protein powders and bars are always awesome snack options. Some are really delicious.

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both fantastic sources of protein.

If you're not opposed to having meat in your snacks:

I also like to make chicken snack wraps. I use a small flatbread with 6 oz of chicken, a little spinach and some steak sauce which comes out to be about 200 calories.

Tuna with pickles is another great option - but I tend to get sick of that quickly.

Shrimp stir fried in some veggies can be under 200 calories and very filling.

I hope you're not a vegetarian >.< otherwise all my options are pretty useless, haha. You could do veggie burger patties though - usually those have a decent amount of protein in them as well.
    I really love the snack wrap idea!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Cheese sticks
    Greek yogurt mixed with sugar free pudding. Some brands have over 20 grams of protein
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    i live and die with protein powder!!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    I have been eating a lot of dry roasted edamame lately, and I LOVE it! It really satisfies my desire to crunch on something salty. It has 14g of protein and 130 calories per 1/4 cup serving.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Lean meats (turkey breast, chicken breast, 92-93% lean beef)
    Plain Greek Yogurt
    Lowfat Cottage Cheese
    Whey Protein ( I make pretty yummy protein "pancakes" with 3 egg whites, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, and 1/4 cup of low-fat milk)
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    I have been eating a lot of dry roasted edamame lately, and I LOVE it! It really satisfies my desire to crunch on something salty. It has 14g of protein and 130 calories per 1/4 cup serving.
    Great idea!
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Atkins has great protien bars.. I love them.. way better than any other I have tried. These are more like granola bars!
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Well, I'm trying to bulk so I buy raw peanuts and roast them and I eat peanut butter on wheat bread with my protein powder.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    low fat string cheese
    greek yogurt
    protein shakes

these 3 are lifesavers for me (vegetarian)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I make proats (6 servings to eat all week)-

2 cups rolled oats or steel cut oats
    6 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1/4 cup diced almonds
    1/4 cup diced up chocolate chips
    1 1/2 cups 2% milk

Mix and pour into bakingdish lined with plastic wrap. Cover the top with plastic wrap!!! Leave it in the fridge overnight.

Cut into 6 servings and then scoop with spoon into 6 small Tupperware. Roughly 250 calories and 25 grams protein. Oh, and delicious. I could and do eat this for dessert!