Comparing MFP and WW

Options
Hi all. I've been an "expert" calorie counter for years but really only keeping track part time (like in spurts). Ever since I quit smoking three years ago, I haven't been able to get back down and stay at my ideal weight. I wondered why simply counting wasn't working. So I joined Weight Watchers this new year and have been religiously tracking my calories as well. I'm writing all about the two programs in my blog: http://chompmouth.blogspot.com/
I have lost 6.5 pounds since January 1! I can't believe what a difference that small amount has made so far. I'm wearing pants I haven't worn in two + years. I'd like to lose another ten. We'll see how it goes!.

Replies

• Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW too. It just seems to work better for me than just counting calories. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    I joined WW many years ago, and I really liked it.
    I kept the weight off for many years, gained 10 back last year after major dental work, when I was basically not able to eat any real food for several months, so I turned to soups, yogurt and ice cream. What a mistake. Still thinking what I should have done instead.

I joined MFP on January 2nd. I now count calories, but since I still have all my WW papers and the points Plus calculator I keep track of points as well.

I think I like WW, because you can basically eat more than if you just count calories, although I try to eat lots of veggies and only lean meat.

I am still debating every day if I should join WW online or even go to the meetings again, but it is winter and I live in Ohio, and with this lake effect snow you never know if you can get out on a day when you are supposed to have your meeting. So I keep putting it off for now.

But WW definitely has its benefits.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    WW is good for people that have a fair amount to lose. MFP is better for those who are trying to lose those last few "vanity pounds" and get a bit leaner but it's also good for heavier people. The whole "free fruits and vegetables" thing would just cause me to gain weight.
  • driftlessmama
    driftlessmama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was on and off WW online for years. Frankly, I just got tired of paying for it. This is the same thing. Track your food and stay within a limit. If you have a lot to lose, just give yourself the freedom to not be so concerned about weighing the fruits and veggies.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I had done WWers for years...thru several different program changes. While I always lost with them, it never stayed off because, for seriously, who is going to calculate points on everything for the rest of their lives. Cals are quick. I am good with MFP...plus it is free :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 6 months (had to stop when the hubby lost his job). It did work but I got so sick of the sales pitches to buy WW stuff. Yeah, the snack bars are good but they were a little pricey. Did not really need the SPECIAL WW measuring spoons and measuring cups! The worst was when they kept pushing me to get the WW food scale for about $40. MFP works for me!!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I loved WW and I think it worked for me because I'm competitive and I was more excited that the lady who recorded my weight was happy about my loss than I was. And I got stickers and charms! lol I know, childish, but being at the meetings with real women who were struggling too was just awesome. I will always remember the woman who lost over 100 pounds crying on the floor when they announced it. And we all surrounded her with our tears and hugs.

I don't think I will ever get that from MFP
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did WW online about a year and a half ago and lost 15lbs over a few months. Then my schedule got crazy, working full time, doing an internship 20 hours a week and attending 2 night classes to finish my Master's Degree. I didn't work out and my meals were hard to plan out so tracking became tedious. I gained all the weight back and then some.

Now that I finished school, I decided it's time to lose all the weight I wanted to. I started by exercising again and after that became a routine for me, I added in mindful/healthy eating. I've lost just under 10lbs since Christmas and decided to join MFP this month just to be able to track my intake without having to pay for WW or convert food into points (because that was getting annoying).

I also tended to feel guilty on WW if I went over my points goal for the day, but I like that on MFP it just simply tells you "if every day were like today..." I'm really happy with MFP so far and will never go back to WW again, but that's my personal preference. Best of luck to you on both!
  • bwheeler78
    bwheeler78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hear what everyone is saying about how it's a drag that WW costs and that it gets tiresome calculating points but I think that's the point of it. It becomes a whole lot easier when you're NOT eating things that require point calculation. If you don't eat "food" from boxes, you get to enjoy so much MORE delicious food. I think that's why it works so well. I definitely think that's the reason it's been working so well for me the past four weeks. It took a week or so, but I finally saw that the program is trying to guide you to eating whole, real, fresh foods.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    I believe for those who want the personal contact with other people, exchanging stories etc., WW is good, it is not only the weekly weigh in, it is like a self help group.
    I personally am better and more focused if nobody gets in my way (in any way). I tried diets with my husband around, had to cook for him different food than for me, and then he always tried to convince me to eat something that I wasn't supposed to eat.
    I am now living alone, and I can follow my plan without any distractions.
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well, I was gaining weight on Weight Watchers. I literally gained 6 pounds from 12/30-1/2 of this year on the new points plus plan. They had me set at 49 daily points which after I calculated ended up being about 500+ calories higher than MFP allowed me daily. No wonder I was gaining weight! SO I started back on MFP 1/3 and as of today I am down 11.4 pounds for this month. I know WW works for a lot of people, but it wasn't cutting it for me. Glad I got started back on MFP though! =)
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on WW years ago on Flex Points and kept it off. I rejoined nurmerous times after having a child and was unsuccessful. I think the changes that were made recently put the program too much in the company's interest, and slowed weight loss down in the process. I think when the new CEO came along, the program was ruined.
    I DO like that MFP has so much nutritional data on so many foods including restaurants. Also, the recipe builder. You always had to pay for this on WW.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 6 months (had to stop when the hubby lost his job). It did work but I got so sick of the sales pitches to buy WW stuff. Yeah, the snack bars are good but they were a little pricey. Did not really need the SPECIAL WW measuring spoons and measuring cups! The worst was when they kept pushing me to get the WW food scale for about $40. MFP works for me!!!

I have the long handled WW measuring cups that they used to have a few years ago. I LOVE them!! I dunno if those are the ones you are talking about, but it is just perfect for getting a cup of soup or a half cup of rice :)
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    @ MissTattoo......How did you make that cool "ticker" of yourself?
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was on and off WW online for years. Frankly, I just got tired of paying for it. This is the same thing. Track your food and stay within a limit. If you have a lot to lose, just give yourself the freedom to not be so concerned about weighing the fruits and veggies.
    If you need RL support TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is a non-profit group that is a lot cheaper.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    For those of you who say WW is only for people who have a lot to lose, it got me to a BMI of 18.4.

Granted, I was a very thin child and teenager, and my mom made sure I ate healthy growing up. It wasn't til i moved out of the house and ate fast food every day that I put on weight.

WW is absolutely perfect for me in so many ways. I never feel deprived, and enjoy my food so much more. I also love the weekly points, which you don't get with MFP.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    Well, I was gaining weight on Weight Watchers. I literally gained 6 pounds from 12/30-1/2 of this year on the new points plus plan. They had me set at 49 daily points which after I calculated ended up being about 500+ calories higher than MFP allowed me daily. No wonder I was gaining weight! SO I started back on MFP 1/3 and as of today I am down 11.4 pounds for this month. I know WW works for a lot of people, but it wasn't cutting it for me. Glad I got started back on MFP though! =)

That is weird that they set up your points so high.
    I have the Points Plus calculator, which estimates your points for you, and comes up with 29 for me, and I compare with MFP, and with my daily calories I usually also stay within my Points.
    Are you sure they didn't make a mistake? It is possible, right?
  • bwheeler78
    bwheeler78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I only get 26 points and some days it doesn't feel like nearly enough. But those are mostly days that I have long runs. I really hate going over on my daily points so I don't do it very often. I really don't understand why WW gives so many free weekly points - 49 points is almost two extra days of food for me. Many days end where MFP is telling me that I'm not eating enough because of my calorie deficit from running but WW is saying, woah, let's slow down here! The opposite is true, as well. I think the two end up meeting in the middle. And I don't mind paying for WW; I think their website has a lot of great features that you don't get anywhere else.
    But I like these forums better :)
  • leftyguitarplr
    leftyguitarplr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is does MFP or WW work for you? After trying both, my preference is MFP, and so far lost 11 lbs (something about counting all calories versus translating food to points makes more sense to me). But hey, if WW or WW and MFP works for you, more power to you :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!