Vegetarian

Options
Laurenmp16
Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
Any other dieting vegetarians/pescatarians out there? I have trouble finding recipes that aren't flavorless or terrible for me. So many of the tasty ones are just cheese and pasta. I'd be happy to have someone to trade with!

Replies

• ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    check out www.skinnytaste.com they have some good vegetarian recipies. also maybe invest in a vegetaian cook book.

if u like orzo rice, maybe make some orzo rice with vegetable broth spinach mushrooms and lemon juice :D i can get u the recipe as soon as i get it too lol (my brothers gf has it in her vegan cookbook we made it and it was awesome!)

you can also find some awesome recipies online. feel free to add me if ud like
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian or anything, but one of my favorite no meat side dishes is Roasted Garlic and Rosemanry Red Potatoes...

Toss cubed red potatoes with some olive oil, garlic powder, rosemary and salt/pepper to taste. Then roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or so. I will leave the measuring for you, so that you can adjust to fit your needs.

I have seen several good recipes on skinnytaste.com and sparkpeople.com...I usually do Meatless Mondays for my husband...nice change of pace =)
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Robin Robertson's book Vegan on the Cheap has some great-tasting recipes that aren't so dependent on pasta or cheese (I like her Positively Pantry Chili, which uses 3 different kinds of beans and is really simple to make, as well as her Mexican Rice and Bean Bake and Deconstructed Enchilada Bake). Her Garden Rotini and Chickpea Salad is great too, for the times you do want pasta but not a heavy meal.

These recipes can also pretty easily be de-veganized, if you decide you do want a little bit of cheese on top of a casserole. For the Garden Rotini and Chickpea Salad, she does provide a dressing recipe, but I usually just use bottled Annie's Goddess Dressing.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check out the Pretty Darn Quick Vegetarian Cookbook. Loads of quick and easy recipes with nutrition info broken down for you.

I personally like to make a big pot of veggie chili on Sunday to last through the week. I wing the recipe (2-3 cans of whatever beans I have lying around, some chopped peppers and onions, crushed tomatoes, tons of spices.)
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I'm no longer vegetarian but I grew up vegetarian until I was 21. I still don't eat that much meat (it's more expensive). I'd recommend diving in to various ethnic foods. I'd recommend Indian (Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks are amazing) to start with. There's tons of really delicious, naturally vegetarian Indian recipes. Sometimes they require you to use more spices then you might normally, but it's definitely worth it. Also, I'd recommend some version of Mexican/Latin American food - I eat black beans and veggies at least 3 nights a week most weeks. Feel free to add me and I'd be happy to share some more concrete recipes :)
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My sister is a pescetarian and this is one of the items we will be making for our superbowl get-together. They are a personal favorite and have made them without shrimp as well.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/chinese-food-shrimpylicious-egg-rolls-recipe

26309342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I like veggie meals so I just had today. sweet potato mashed, sliced cabbage and leek steamed, curly kale and a nice big mexican bean burger (tesco) it was tasty and had enough cals to keep me within my limits.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are great ideas. I will have to check out these cookbooks. I'm at work so I don't have access to my recipes, but I will add some on here tonight!
  • carriecaptured
    carriecaptured Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not Vegetarian, but eat very little meat, I LOVE eating Vegetarian.

My meals consist of
    * soups, where I use a Vegetable based "Chicken Stock", any Non startchy Veg goes in with Chilli, garlic and olive oil, I cook it slightly before adding the stock into the pot, then buzz onced cooked, this way I just use what I have and buy bulk of what's on special.

I use lentils and chickpeas to make patties, In my food processor. Chickpeas I add a little curry powder in and Lentils get lots of garlic. All I do is add a drained can, the spices and buzz in the food processor, then add some "bread crumbs" I usually used crushed buckwheat crackers as I am wheat free to soak up any excess juices and help them stick together and then I roll patties and roll them in the buckwheat crumbs before squashing in the pan, fried in a little nuttlex or olive oil. Serve on salad with a salsa, HMMMmmm MMMmm,

I also like to chop lots of veg up small and bake until its all crispy (2+ hours) adding a little salt and pepper and olive oil.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Yogajournal.com
  • hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    fatfreevegan.com and dr. Joel Fuhrman is a genius in the kitchen. good luck
  • skinnymomnivi
    skinnymomnivi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian by birth(Indian) and love being so :smile: . You can make really easy Chickpea curry.

Chickpea/Kidney Beans curry:

1) Take a large onion and two tomatoes. Blend them to a puree.
    2) Mince 4-5 garlic cloves.
    3) Take a pan and put it on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of cumin seeds.
    4) After the seeds splatter add in minced garlic.
    5) when the garlic gets brown add in onion and tomato puree.
    6) Let the mixture cook for a few mins. Keep on sauteeing it so that it doesn't get burned.
    7) Add turmeric powder, cayene pepper, salt(to taste), curry powder(optional).
    8) Add in a can of chickpeas/kidney beans(drained and rinsed).
    9) Add 1 cup of hot water.
    10) Cover the pan and let it cook for 8 to 10 mins on low heat. You can cook it more if the curry seems runny.
    11) Smash the beans/chickpea with back of the spoon.
    12) Serve over rice(Basmati works good).
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm veggo and have been since I was a child, if you need ideas add me and look at my diary :)
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian who cooks mostly vegan at home. I love fatfreevegan.com and all the Happy Herbivore cookbooks -- she has a website with free recipes too. Very low cal, tasty and filling!