Lunch Problems :/

Today I realized how much I have an issue with my lunch situation. I pretty much have to eat while I'm working, and normally if I'm at my office I can bring a lunch and have access to a refrigerator and microwave. However, almost every day I am at a school where I need to pack a lunch that doesn't have to be refrigerated since I have to tote it around with me all day. I am working on getting a lunch box that can keep sandwiches and stuff cold, but for now I have to do without. I am pretty tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so anybody have any ideas for lunches that do not need refrigeration or reheating? I did bring blueberries, cucumbers/carrots, a cheese stick (which probably should have been in the fridge), and some crackers today.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    You need icepacks! At my last job I brought 2 snacks, a lunch, and a huge water bottle every day. I got one of those soft sided 6 pack coolers, and some ice packs. Everything stayed cold enough- even my pre- gym snack that I ate when I was leaving for the day.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    i have an insulated lunchbox. not sure if you have that, but I cut up chicken breasts, mix with rice, and a salad dressing (my two are greek feta and wild raspberry) . As long as I chill the night before and put in my insulated bag, it stays cool until lunch time and I can heat it up in the microwave (i'm weird. I eat mine cold...lol)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Did you know you can freeze yogurt? From experience I can tell you that if you buy individual cups of yogurt and freeze them, by lunch they'll be thawed but still very cold. If you like flavored, I recommend buying the premixed variety - fruit on the bottom doesn't work well. Bring a quarter cup of a healthy type of granola to mix in for some added fiber, and some raw veggies and fruit, and you should be set.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    I agree with the other posters ... an ice pack - or even a frozen bottle of water - is the way to go!

That said, as long as your food is not in extreme temps - super hot or super cold - most foods are ok at room temp for a few hours. Hard boiled eggs, cheeses, hummus, cream cheese, Laughing Cow cheeses (which are often sold at room temp), and cooked meats (like meatballs, meat loaf, or hamburger patties) are ok from when you pack them till lunch. I also like granola bars, crackers, fresh fruit, and veggies.

Avoid things with creamy sauces or dressings. Mayo is pretty much a no, but mustard is fine!

Food for thought - In Japan most bento lunches are not refrigerated and are filled with all kinds of meat, grains, rice, and veggies.

Good luck!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    I agree with the other posters ... an ice pack - or even a frozen bottle of water - is the way to go!

That said, as long as your food is not in extreme temps - super hot or super cold - most foods are ok at room temp for a few hours. Hard boiled eggs, cheeses, hummus, cream cheese, Laughing Cow cheeses (which are often sold at room temp), and cooked meats (like meatballs, meat loaf, or hamburger patties) are ok from when you pack them till lunch. I also like granola bars, crackers, fresh fruit, and veggies.

Avoid things with creamy sauces or dressings. Mayo is pretty much a no, but mustard is fine!

Food for thought - In Japan most bento lunches are not refrigerated and are filled with all kinds of meat, grains, rice, and veggies.

Good luck!

I wasn't sure what is or is not okay with refrigeration for a few hours, so I really limited myself. I just don't want to get sick! lol
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    hard-boiled eggs should be ok for a few hours, protein bars, protein shakes, nuts, seeds, fruit
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    It is an old wives tale about Mayo. Today's Mayo is cooked. Will not make you sick. If meats and cheeses and cheeses or leftovers from dinner start out cold and it under a 100 degrees where you are the food will be fine. I would be careful with shrimp and fish. But cooked meat will be fine. My daughter works for a school district also and moves between schools plus has an after school job at the college. She has been taking her lunch for years with no ice pack.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    I should have said that commercial mayo is ok. She is right, it has the right pH and it is cooked. I make fresh mayo weekly, so that would not be ok. I often forget that other people do not make their own mayo like I do. Duh! :D
    It is an old wives tale about Mayo. Today's Mayo is cooked. Will not make you sick. If meats and cheeses and cheeses or leftovers from dinner start out cold and it under a 100 degrees where you are the food will be fine. I would be careful with shrimp and fish. But cooked meat will be fine. My daughter works for a school district also and moves between schools plus has an after school job at the college. She has been taking her lunch for years with no ice pack.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Whole Foods (and I'm sure other places) has some good hot/cold bags that will really keep a meal cold, even without adding a reusable ice pack. Though that helps.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    When I need to pack a meal with me, I take along things like nuts, seeds, fresh fruit, raw carrots, etc. Some products I like are Kaia Cereal (Raw sprouted buckwheat, various flavors), Mauk Family Farms Raw Breakfast Crusts, and Two Moms in the Raw Nut Bars.
  • The tinned tuna is a good little snack, fairly healthy and you can pack a piece of bread to have with it. Fruit to go with and you have a reasonable meal. But definitely get some of the ice packs, they're so good for this kinda thing.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    I have this problem alot. and my sister gave me a Pack-It for Christmas. It's awesome for people like us. When I have to pack without it I do raw veggies, granola, cheese sandwich, etc. String Cheese will actually stay good at room temperature for at least 24 hours, so you're good there. Also agree with others...freeze a bottle of water and pack it with your lunch to keep it cold.
  • Nadine624
    Nadine624 Posts: 22 Member
    What everyone else said, but I sometimes like frozen grapes too. They're super yummy if they don't thaw out all the way and help keep stuff cool too.
    But reusable freezer packs (in cute shapes and designs) is what I usually use. My daughter gets a frozen juice box in her lunch. :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    4 hours is the legal limit for restaurants to have food in the danger zone. So if that can help you at all. Also, nuts, fruit, dried fruit, jerky… they all work.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Oh, and frozen water bottles, as was mentioned, is great to sub for ice packs!!!