Heartrate

Options
I'm slightly concerned about my heart rate. I know I'm new to working out, but it appears that my heart rate will be in the 180's when I work out. That really can't be normal, right?

Replies

• stacezilla
    Options
    Oh, and I'm only 24 5'4 148lbs.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    depends on how hard you're working out and how long you've been exercising.

im 5'4 25 and 193lbs and i like to keep my HR between 140-156 but it can easily get into the 170's

If you're concerned schedule a EKG with your doctor :)
  • disdatdude
    Options
    I think over 170 and you are nearing a blow out :smile: - IJS.
  • disdatdude
    Options
    ...double check your manner of calculating... it's probably off.
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your resting heartrate is? I have a really fast heartrate and am between 150-185 when working out depending on what I am doing. Initially I thought this was worrisome so I went to a dr and they ran the usual tests and everything is fine! Some people just have really fast heartrates, others really slow, others are within the "normal" range. I would visit your dr if you are really worried.
  • graceangelina
    Options
    Your HR can go really high, really fast if you're just starting to work out and your heart is not use to it (ex: being out of shape). There is a formula to determine your max HR, Cardio HR, and Fat burning HR. The more you condition your heart (ex: working out in your cardio target HR, the stronger your heart will be, thus, it won't pump so hard to maintain your work outs. When starting off go slow and work your way up as you condition your heart and body. I've reached >180 before. My stats: Cardio around 140 - 155. Fat burn 120 - 135. Those were my target HR doing the formula. I learned all this in my college course Fitness4Life. I I hope that helps :)