Changing one thing at a time ? Does anyone else do this?

Options
I have read that by starting out focusing on one change a month makes it more manageable then trying to change everything in your lifestyle all at once. For some people it may be taking all the extra fat in foods, or just watching the calorie intake, the next month staying focused on a workout plan. I was told that after a month it becomes a habit and you start to make the lifestyle change without having the extra stress and trying to change everything at once which is why some people do well in the first couple of weeks but after that they fall off and give up. Anyone else agree? or do this ?

I have played with my calories this month, from feeling really week and only being able to work out once a week . I probably was easily eating 4000 calories a day ( fast food was a staple due to time constraints , hubby is never home at a certain time ) before i began this journey when i started on MFP it had me at 1490. After a few weeks I still felt week, so i uped my calories to 1590. Still was feeling week, so this week i have put them in at 2090. I am feeling much better this week. We will see if the lost continues, I have lost 24 pounds since DEC 19, so I am doing fairly well.
February, is my month to include workouts on a daily basis, getting myself in a routine everyday . March is where I will incorporate the strength training and toning ..
Am I right to think this way? Any other suggestions from all of you would be great . I am also looking for more friends as my original buddies I started with have all already kick the bucket and gave up. I want this so bad that I can taste it.

Replies

• TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good for you sounds like you are off to a great start. I heard somewere that it takes like 21 days to make or break a habit. Me I try to add some thing every other week. Feel free to add me as a friend for encuragement I don't know much now but I'm hoping to change that soon.
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    yes that is what i read too, so changing my habits one small step at a time .. :)
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WW mtg tonite discussed just this topic. My change for this week is to try a different veggie and a diffeent fruit this week!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you stick with the changes. So whatever way that works for you is a good way to do it. Some people need to do it cold turkey (an all or nothing approach), some people need to ease into things and get comfortable with something before changing something else. It's the same way people get in a pool-some just dive in, some slowly ease their way in, some dip a toe, start slow, then just dunk. There's no right or wrong-just so long as you get in the pool-you're in good shape-even if you take your time getting there.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I agree that the step by step approach sets a person up for success.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time works for me. It's a long process, but one I think I can live with.

I started by drastically cutting back on fast food. Then I focused on adding veggies. Next it was walking, then more walking and, just recently, a little resistance band exercise.

I am an all or nothing person. Because of that, I would always jump in with both feet. And before long, I would give up the all and go back to nothing.

Baby steps. This time around, I'm not in a hurry to lose weight (well, yeah, I am but that's not the priority). The goal is to get healthy and stay that way.
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did that when I first started.. I was more interested in trying to get control of my eating (McDonald's is my go to for stress release).. and now have started putting in some exercise. I have been doing the 2 mile walk with Leslie Sansone and hope to increase that a little as I go.. Good luck.. feel free to add me if you like...
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think that's excellent. I started adding one extra serving of vegetables last month, eliminating all candy the month before, and this month I'm limiting my red meat consumption to once every two weeks (substituting it for lean meats and fish). Small, easily attainable goals seem to be the way to go. Keep going!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I changed one thing at a time when I was transitioning from meat-eater to vegetarian to vegan. I started with the meat, then cut out milk, eggs, and finally cheese. It worked for me :) I also cut out sodas separately as well. It helps when I focus on one thing, instead of making a bunch of changes all at once.
  • Socobruja
    Socobruja Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm totally with you! This year I decided to just start out with logging as that is the basis of ANY healthy weight loss plan & usually has been my point of failure. I am so proud of just doing that task alone for now! That being said, I'm trying to figure out what settings I need in order to get my feed to update such as, "____ has logged in for 10 days in a row!" Sounds corny but for some reason my current settings don't tell me that & I really want the encouragement! (I know, sounds like the ribbon you get just for participating but darnit, I've earned it!!)

All that to say, I think it is a great method to help stay on track. By the way, you are doing FANTASTIC!
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    Did you set your settings to private ? and do you hit complete diary for day? then go to home page .. I am new too so if that is wrong maybe someone else can help out that knows a little more.. Yes, i like the feeling at the ended of the day knowing i finshed either at calories or better a little under. We all need that little word of encouragement on this very long journey to change our lives to better health and fitness .
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i've been slowly cutting stuff out of my diet. Starting Jan 1st, i cut out all pop: regular and diet.
    I've been slowly adding more water into my diet.
    I've cut out fast food (except subway or a healthier option: but i'm meaning mcdonalds, etc..)

I think its beneficial to take things out step by step because otherwise you'll crash your diet because you want all the things you can't have. But by slowly replacing things with healthier options, you won't have the cravings very often.
    I'm also eating everything in moderation.. i feel like if i completely cut everything out, i'll crash easier. That way, if i do want something, i can have it as long as it falls within my calories for the day, or i need to exercise to counteract that bad decision
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    I think its beneficial to take things out step by step because otherwise you'll crash your diet because you want all the things you can't have. But by slowly replacing things with healthier options, you won't have the cravings very often.
    I'm also eating everything in moderation.. i feel like if i completely cut everything out, i'll crash easier. That way, if i do want something, i can have it as long as it falls within my calories for the day, or i need to exercise to counteract that bad decision

I also have been increasing my water intake, I love berry propel zero. I was a heavy diet soda drinker , like all day from the time i got up till i went to bed and even then it was there for middle of nights drinks. I have cut it down to just one a day, sometimes 2 on the weekends. I wasn't ready to give it completely up, but felt like one a day wasn't a horrible thing.

I am so glad to hear others are doing things like myself, I at first just thought maybe i was just giving excuses, but have always fell off before FEB 1st every year before because i cut everything at once and just couldnt handle it after just a short couple of weeks. Now I am down 24 pounds and still going strong and actually feeling like for once that yes I can do this and succeed. :happy:
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This method fits my personality. I need manageable pieces to make lifelong changes. It takes longer, but things stick. Currently, I am happy with the status of my diet. My new thing is filtering my drinking and cooking water, taking basic supplements daily (mutli + omega oils + CoQ10), and resuming yoga 5-6x week.

The water thing is easy, after setup. The supplement thing--I just have to remember and not giveup on. The yoga thing takes discipline.