So whats the big deal about Dr. Dre headphones?

Options
Yea, they stay on your head better than earbuds do... but why would anyone want to pay $250+ for headphones to workout when you can get a nice pair of non-earbud headphones for less than $40?

Not trying to knock the product.. but I was in Brookstone and tested them out and didn't think they were anything special. Then I saw Jillian Michaels mention she loves them for working out on Shape.com.... maybe that was just product placement/endorsement but still.

I think mine would get all sweaty and stinky.

Replies

• Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I so agree!! When I go to the gym or run, my headphones are DRENCHED! I also have a tendency of losing or destroying them (clumsy... YES) So if my 10 dollar skull candy must be replaced 10 times in a year (they are loud and great quality) I am still playing less haha. I do like the Dr. Dre headphones overall, but I can't make that $$ committment
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have NO idea but I honestly hadn't considered that proper headphones would stay in better then earbuds! Thanks for that tip. *is an idiot sometimes*
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have NO idea but I honestly hadn't considered that proper headphones would stay in better then earbuds! Thanks for that tip. *is an idiot sometimes*

LOL no prob.

I have yet to upgrade to regular headphones. They make me feel like I'm back in the early 90s with my portable cassette player in hand. :bigsmile:

I'm getting to the point though that I'd much rather have comfort when exercising then having to fiddle with earbuds every couple minutes on a jog!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's almost as if people are willing to pay more for a brand name. Weird.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

:laugh: What a concept!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

:laugh: What a concept!

:laugh:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would venture to say that no one over 30 has ever heard of them.

Constantly bombarding the senses is a generational thing.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options

I'm over 30 and have heard of them... Wouldn't pay for them though when
    you can get Skull Candy headphones that are similar and just as good quality for $50 or less.. I wonder how many under 30 that are out buying them even know who Dr Dre is...
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options

I'm over 30 and have heard of them... Wouldn't pay for them though when
    you can get Skull Candy headphones that are similar and just as good quality for $50 or less.. I wonder how many under 30 that are out buying them even know who Dr Dre is...

If they do know who he is, they probably think Eminem helped him get famous!
  • REDROBE_69
    Options
    To me, those headphones are for the studio, not the gym. As hard as i workout, they would just distract my focus. I could see myself repositioning them after each set. I would rather have the earbuds.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This trend has made me realize I am getting old...In high school this would be considered dorky...Now it's cool..

Also, I'm seeing high socks that go up past the shins on these young bucks....Aww great now my dad is hip and I'm lame.
  • HopeAnchorstheSoul
    HopeAnchorstheSoul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband (who is 32 btw ;)) has a set of Beats and while they do have superior sound quality, I wouldn't wear them to the gym. I'm not sure they would stay on any better than buds while working out. They are somewhat noise-cancelling so maybe that's why some people wear them there....
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My husband is obsessed with headphones, and he thinks the Beats overpriced and I trust his opinion. He thinks the absolute best headphones are Audio Technica ATH-M50. They are about $160 bucks on amazon. They are studio quality. He also has Sennheisers which he uses sometimes as well.

I on the other hand want Lady Gaga Heartbeats just for the way they look. haha
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Very wrong.................I am 39 and I was already a big fan of Dr Dre when he was out on the musical forefront.

I got the Beats by Dre bluetooth today. My husband bought both of us a pair and they are awesome............No more cords.
  • Anewstart2013
    Options
    Ive had to stop usung earbuds because ive noticed a decrease in my hearing over the last year or two. I have beats for at home when i am relaxing or when i travel to tune everything out. I got them to replace my bose that broke after 5 years to me they have great sound quality. However when i workout i have a skull candy headset i like lol and I am 30 :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For working out, Yurbuds are the best!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I listened to them at brookstone and boy do they bump... I got kids on my bus who wear those and I tell ya...they will be deaf before long if they keep using those.

I will stick to my skull candy ear buds.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    YOu pay for the brand and the image. there are MUCH better headphones you can buy for that high price tag.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    They're hypephones. I have some sens that I guarantee you sound better and cost about $50. Interscope, in a pretty genius move, put them in all of their music videos, so all of the hottest music artists were wearing them- of course this meant everyone HAD to have them.
    Edit: I also think there's a Beats music player on HTC phones or something. Basically a fancy equalizer. There's no superior sound quality, though, it's pretty much placebo. If you spend that much on something, you HAVE to like it! Also, my cans don't get sweaty at all when I wear them- the worst that happens is they irritate my conch piercing. I never use them for exercising though because that's pretty dumb and I'm fairly certain the sweat would crack and ruin the leather.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I had the Dr. Dre active buds that I got as a gift. They made my iPhone go all wacky...it would activate Siri for no reason. Or place calls without pushing a button. I returned those headphones and with the credit I chose Boze earbuds.....they fit much better and have decent sound. I wouldnt pay for those either....they're not much better than my cheap headphones from target...lol