How comfortable are HRMs?

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
I've thought about getting one... I'd love to have the most accurate reading for calories burned especially because right now I'm using a pedometer on my walks/runs and that requires me to have a pocket to put my phone/pedometer in. On days I don't have shorts with pockets, I have to hold it on my leg & the reading isn't as accurate.

I'm worried I'll be extremely uncomfortable, wearing an HRM. What do you guys who have them, feel about them, comfort-wise? And how exactly do they work? Do you strap it to your chest? Sounds like a torture device. :angry:

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I barely even notice mine is on. I wear it under my bra band and it really isn't even noticable, just a tad tighter than the bra band. In fact last night I ran, got home about 6:20 and at 8:00 I realized I still had the strap on. By then, I was wondering why my bra band was tight, it was my strap. It's not hard to adjust to at all! :heart: my Polar FT7

Also - it's mostly elastic, just where the probes (or whatever) are that is a leathery type material, with 2 snap thingys that the actual transmission devise snaps onto. It's really small, like 2" x 3" or maybe 1.5" x 3". There's a loop on one end of the strap and an "S" style hook end on the other side that slips in the loop. You can see the Polar ones on their website.
  • debbert
    debbert Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hardly notice my HRM either. I was reluctant to purchase one for that reason but now I don't exercise without it. I have the Polar F4. It's easy to program and I've read that Polar tends to be the most accurate. Good Luck! Also make myself burn 500 calories per workout at a minimum so I don't goof off at the gym as much either.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Never notice mine, the strap goes around ur waist and wear the watch, the only thing that bugs me is the chest strap slips a little cause I sweat like a mad man! LOL!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have a polar FT60 and I barely notice it as well. One thing to keep an eye out for is how to clean the one you buy. Some are machine washable, some you just rinse off after you are done. You wet the leads before you put it on. If I use cold water, then I feel it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Never notice mine, the strap goes around ur waist and wear the watch, the only thing that bugs me is the chest strap slips a little cause I sweat like a mad man! LOL!

Which model do you have? I sweat RIDICULOUSLY ...
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have Polar and Timex. They both drove me nuts when I was wearing them at my bra band area. I'm well endowed and wear an Enell bra, so it really rubbed and chafed me a lot. I used to wear it backward so the hard part was behind my back, but it still drove me nuts. But this week I decided to wear the thing higher in front. I put it above my breasts, under my arm pits and now it doesn't bother me at all.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever notice mine... and depending on the day, I may wear mine all day. I never know when I might get the opportunity for an improptu workout walking dogs, playing with the neighborhood kids, mowing the yard, etc... so I just put in on with my bra in the morning. Towards the end of the day it can start to feel a little irritating - but most of the time I don't notice it at all.
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and never notice it. I like others wear it under my bra strap. I was really worried, since I have quite a bit of excess skin from the weight loss and shorts chafe me, but no issues with the HRM thus far.
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I barely even notice mine is on. I wear it under my bra band and it really isn't even noticable, just a tad tighter than the bra band. In fact last night I ran, got home about 6:20 and at 8:00 I realized I still had the strap on. By then, I was wondering why my bra band was tight, it was my strap. It's not hard to adjust to at all! :heart: my Polar FT7

Also - it's mostly elastic, just where the probes (or whatever) are that is a leathery type material, with 2 snap thingys that the actual transmission devise snaps onto. It's really small, like 2" x 3" or maybe 1.5" x 3". There's a loop on one end of the strap and an "S" style hook end on the other side that slips in the loop. You can see the Polar ones on their website.

Ive done the same thing.....left it on for a bit after my workout....tuck it right under the strap of my workout bra....dont even notice it...love mine, Polar6
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    They are not really noticeable at all. I like someone else said before forget I have it on. I put the strap around my chest & slip my sports bra over it. As far as the sweat, I use Spectre gel on mine which keeps it in place & keeps it going. I have the Polar F6 which I got off of Amazon & the gel there too. The gel was only like $5 and works great! You get a huge tube of it & you don't have to use much at all. :smile: I love my HRM, but be prepared when you see how the machines have been giving you high estimations. You're still losing weight, as was I so we are doing something right! :bigsmile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 and can't even tell it's there with my sports bra, it hides underneath and you can't even see it either. I usually have it on for a while before I remember to take it off!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    They are not really noticeable at all. I like someone else said before forget I have it on. I put the strap around my chest & slip my sports bra over it. As far as the sweat, I use Spectre gel on mine which keeps it in place & keeps it going. I have the Polar F6 which I got off of Amazon & the gel there too. The gel was only like $5 and works great! You get a huge tube of it & you don't have to use much at all. :smile: I love my HRM, but be prepared when you see how the machines have been giving you high estimations. You're still losing weight, as was I so we are doing something right! :bigsmile:

I actually have the opposite situation... my treadmill registers a lower calorie burn than my HRM. I was shocked when I discovered how much my HRM said that I burned! I think it has something to do with how overweight I am... I know that now it's a lot harder to burn the same amount of calories!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    They are very comfortable. I just got one from Wal-mart for $50.
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I definitely noticed mine was there. However, I quickly learned to ignore it once I began to get such good feedback on my calories burned during exercise.

During exercise, I now forget it's on except for the occasional reminder when I get on certain machines (like the rear delt. fly machines where you press your chest up against the "bench" for support).

I use a Polar FT7 and think it's the best purchase I have made all year.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Foreunner 305 and don't even notice the strap when I'm working out. Half the time I don't even remember to take it off until a couple hours after I'm done, and then I feel kind of stupid... ;)
  • dollhouseghostnz
    Options
    I have no problem at all with my polar HRM, I can't recall the model number offhand. I wear mine just under my bra line and have it quite tight so there is no chance it will slide down,,,, I also tend to sweat like crazy too :). I love wearing it as I think it is a more accurate way of estimating calories burnt.