Only lost 7 lbs in a month...

Options

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    7lbs in a month is great! Especially since you say you arent huge on working out! If you want to lose more maybe try adding a daily walk? Even just a mile 3x a week will help and is a great start... I seriously would have preferred to lose slowly and keep at it then have my 10lb loss only to think I was done changing and gain it back :/ Just keep at it, and maybe measure as well so if you do have a week/month that you don't lose you might see a difference in inches. Keep up the great work!
  • stumegsmum
    Options
    Adjust attitude.
    Weight loss is not linear.
    7 a month is great.

Are your goals also fitness related or just weight loss? Ask yourself that.

I have lost 7lbs this month too - it is hard to break out of the thought process that this is going to be a quick fix - I have always got really frustrated in the past when the scale hasn't moved down as fast as I would like. This time around, I am setting myself a challenge to log on for a month at a time, so each 30 days logged is an achievement in itself.

Also 7lbs a month is six stone off over the course of a year - took me at least 17 years to put that much on.

Keep going, you're doing great
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    7lbs is great! Don't worry! It's working!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1968, and figured in the calculator to a 20% reduction to be 1889 cals. I changed my MFP calculator to 1865 cal/day.

20% off of 1968 = 1575

20% off my TDEE is 1889. According to all my nice MFP eat more to weight less folks, you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

Sorry. shoulda said 20% off my TDEE. It does look like i meant BMR. Whoops....

This doesnt entirely make sense to me and I'm sure your math is correct, but if you want check out fat2fitradio.com/tools and do the body fat % calculator and the calories/BMR calculator.. it actually gives you your BMR and TDEE based off estimated activity level. It's the only way I can ever figure those numbers out.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    wish I could lose 7lbs in a month! thats healthy btw!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    7 pounds is amazing that's almost 2 lbs a week. We ALL want it fast but truth is isome times if it comes off fast it can also go back on fast, slow and steady win sthe race,

U can try increasing workouts to 4 days a week then after a month try 5 days.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    Congrats on the 7 pounds! 7 pounds in a month is fantastic!
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    7lbs in a month is awesome! Well done, and try not to get disheartened! I've been on here since November and only lost 2 lbs, that's when you need to wonder haha! :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The first weight you'll lose is glycogen stores - water weight, so you'll lose a lot quickly, then it'll slow down as you get to business. 7Ibs is awesome, now dig in :bigsmile: your food diary looks fine to me, but I'm hardly one to comment on stuff like that :laugh:

Anyway, good luck feel free to add me if you want a cheerleader!! :flowerforyou:
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    Here's a little something to think about.... your "only 7 lbs in a month" would end up with you losing 84 lbs over the course of a year. That's a phenominal accomplishment. Is it possible to lose faster? Yes. BUT it's not healthy. Your best results will come from a slow, steady loss of weight over a longer period of time, giving your body time to adjust to the changes. It does take perseverence and patience, but trust me - the end result is well worth it!!
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Only 7?

Last year my doctor told me even if I lose 10 lbs in a year, that is much better progress than none at all, or worse yet gaining.

To me that sounds like an accomplishment to have lost 7 lbs. Keep losing every month, and that all adds up. No need to rush it. You rush it too fast and then you wind up with loose skin, since it doesn't have time to recover.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's slow. I only lost 5 lbs in Jan. But I lost 8 inches. I'm getting results, just maybe not exactly how or when I want them. My Granny Jo used to tell me something pretty smart in regards to God answering prayers, and although it isn't the same thing, I think it applies. She would say that it might not happen in 20 mins or less or be as obvious as a neon sign, but it will happen. Patience is key. Wise woman, that Granny Jo. She also said "normal is just a setting on your dryer" so anytime you are tempted to compare your results with others just remember that. Celebrate every victory, every pound. Stick with it and you'll have success.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat when I started out. For close to a month I clung at 187 pounds, occasionally going up or down by a small decimal (ex: 187.6). Then my trainer helped me get my head on straight. He actually told me to break up with my scale for awhile and focus mainly on the Non-Scale Victories. Since that conversation a few weeks ago I only use my scale on the days that I need to weigh in for my challenges and that is it. I do my measurements once a month too. From the time that I joined MFP, my gym and started working with my trainer I dropped 4 overall inches in the first month. I gave up on the daily thing awhile ago, it's so discouraging when you don't see results. Feel free to add me if you need some motivation :)

P.S. I've been at this for a little over 2 months and I've only lost 6.4 pounds.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    7lb's in a month really is great!!! That's almost 2lb's a week!!! You can't ask for much more than that! If you were to lose faster than that, you'll end up slowing metabolism, and not losing anything! It isn't going to happen overnight!! I know it would be nice, but it isn't going to happen. Also, if you've been starting exercising, you're also probably gaining some muscle, in which case, most of us wouldn't lose anything but inches. Keep it up, that really is an awesome achievement!!! :wink:
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just disheartened by some of my friends losing 10-20 pounds this month. But they are completely different people from me. Thank you everyone for your positive energy!!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    because you didn't do anything consistently, you ate over for a week, and you ate under for a week, and then you upped a LOT you need to choose one and stick with it and let your body get used to it to see results.
    Also, think of it this way: a month is 4 weeks, so 7 lbs is over a lb a week which is what is recomended by MFP
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    That's great. Have patience.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    because you didn't do anything consistently, you ate over for a week, and you ate under for a week, and then you upped a LOT you need to choose one and stick with it and let your body get used to it to see results.
    Also, think of it this way: a month is 4 weeks, so 7 lbs is over a lb a week which is what is recomended by MFP

Truth...
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would definitely not be complaining if I lost 7 lbs in a month. I only lost 1lb the past 3 weeks while eating practically perfectly & began exercising 5xs/ week.
  • simonbeal11
    Options
    7lbs in a month is great!
    I am working to 1360 calories a day and often don't use them. I don't get hungry because I burn up to a thousand calories a day in the gym. This gives me over 2000 calories that I can eat. I tend to snack on tubs of melon and grapes. These are only about 70 calories for a full tub. I also eat raw carrots.