Time at the gym

Options
Hi everyone
Just recently joined a lovely health club and wondered what is an ideal amount of days and time to spend at the gym to feel the benefits along with calorie counting.
I have a lot of weight to lose , currently I use the bike, treadmill and rowing machine .

Replies

• Dourpussdora
    Dourpussdora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hey,

i just joined 2 weeks ago, ive got 150lbs to lose, ive been going 3/4 times a week and spending an hr in the gym doing treadmill/bike/cross trainer/weights then going for a swim after. Ive only lost 5lbs so far which im really disappointed in as i thought it would be much more!!!.
  • matrixhealing
    Options
    thats exactly the same as me, ive been going 3 times and not lost much at all and under calorie goal, I wonder whats happening ?
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    hi girls, well done for getting to the gym,

gym's themselves don't help you lose weight; they're part of your overall program which MUST be led by a change in lifestyle, i.e.. a reduction in calorie intake.
    the net result of less intake and increased exercise is what will get you going and to where you want to be.

if you've just started at the gym, forget weights etc., just get on the treadmill & walk, slowly at first, then increase the speed and incline, start with 30 mins then up it to 45 over time,

doing that 4 times a week AND getting the calories down will work over time.

oh, and forget the scales, you're changing your lifestyle, maybe only check the wight every 2 weeks, it will work.

GOOD LUCK x
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to loose a lot of weight I would suggest going to the gym 3-4 times a week and just doing light cardio for the first two weeks. If you are serious about weight loss you need to keep the gym time up as your body gets used to the workouts. After the two weeks you might want to try to start a beginners weight lifting program so you can start to boost your metabolism and burn more calories throughout the day.

Calories in vs calories out at the end of the day

They guy tha posted before me has the right idea lol I feel like I copied his post
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Start slowly at the gym as above has said, but do include weights sooner or later. Don't worry they won't bulk you up. When you eventually do weight ask the staff for an appraisal and help figuring out a program based your stats and goals.
  • matrixhealing
    Options
    thanks peeps, I started in the new year and have been doing 45 min on the treadmill and 20 min on the bikes and also swimming but dont seem to be losing, It is a lifestyle change and i feel really pleased at that, sticking to within calories and exercising but just felt it might of come off a bit
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You should've started resistance training already. The gym staff can help. It's their job.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    hey,

i just joined 2 weeks ago, ive got 150lbs to lose, ive been going 3/4 times a week and spending an hr in the gym doing treadmill/bike/cross trainer/weights then going for a swim after. Ive only lost 5lbs so far which im really disappointed in as i thought it would be much more!!!.

2 and a half punds per week, why exactly is that disappointing. that is exactly what weight loss should look like. 10 weeks, 25lbs, 20 weeks 50 lbs, 40 weeks 100lbs - I am sure that you will love that weight loss. Imagine the dress sizes, the feelings of well being.

As for the OP - Compund Lifting exercises 3 days per week and at least 4-5 cardio sessions lasting at least 30 minutes and sticking to the eating deficit will bring the weight tumbling down and the lifting will help shape your body.
  • Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All sounds like great advice!! Thanks everyone!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You should've started resistance training already. The gym staff can help. It's their job.

I'm with this one.

I know I wouldn't look half as good as I do, had I just done all cardio at the beginning and no weights what so ever.