whey protine shakes

Options
Do they really do anything? I drink them if I remember but don't really see or feel any difference. I know the package says for recovery, but recover what?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    By 'recovery' they mean the protein is helping the muscles repair after you've worked them. However eating a steak, or any other form of protein would have the same effect. They are intended as a supplement to help you meet your protein macro. If you can do that with food alone they are unnecessary.
  • RunningSal
    Options
    I've done a little reading and my husband lifts weights - I was advised to up my protein intake to help repare the muscles. Have one serving after I've done weights (few reps but heavy lifts) and possibly half a serving after a run as the shakes have carbs in them to re-fuel the muscles. I was also advised to eat eggs for breakfast and have a maxitone definity bar mid afternoon before a run............ Do people agree?
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I try and drink them because I don't eat enough protein being a vegetarian but I find they taste so bad, it puts me off drinking them!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I try and drink them because I don't eat enough protein being a vegetarian but I find they taste so bad, it puts me off drinking them!

Try different brands if you one you have tasted was nasty. The first one I ever had was something from Wal-Mart by Body Fortress and it was the most disgusting, chalky tasting drink ever! But when I tried different flavors from a store called Max Muscle, I really enjoyed them. I have chocolate fudge most often, and when I add a tbsp of peanut butter it tastes like a melted Reese's in my cup.
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I drink them after strength training to help repair the muscles. I struggle to get my protein through food so need to..Plus I am a little bit addicted to them!
    I just have mine with almond milk and raw cacao powder and its tastes soooo good! Not nasty at all, I use whey isolate as I think Im slightly lactose intolerant and it doesn't taste bad at all..
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use GNC chocolate with Greek yogurt thrown in with milk and its lovely!
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll drink a shake before heading to the gym if I'm a little hungry but don't want eat anything too heavy before going. I usually drink one after going to the gym for the muscle repair benefit and because I often don't eat enough protein. It also helps to curb my appetite after a workout .